Developer Blog - Feb 23, 2017

The Latest News and Information from BattleGoat Studios

Moderators: Balthagor, BattleGoat

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Developer Blog - Feb 23, 2017

Post by Balthagor »

Coming back to BattleGoat is an exciting opportunity for me as I'm Project Manager for this new Supreme Ruler title. We're currently working on some of the marketing materials and will be announcing the title soon. We'd like to do a big reveal all at once so I'll just be talking generalities today. Getting this project moving started with a lot of collecting of old files and reviewing where the documents last left off. When Supreme Ruler Ultimate was launched, we had expected it to be the last title in the series. The Trump Rising DLC was certainly unforeseen at that time, but I don't see how we could have resisted trying to model the events of a Trump presidency. Supreme Ruler has always been a game where you can try and make the most unexpected things happen and watch what outcomes you get. I can't think of many things more unexpected than Donald Trump sitting in the White House.

Despite the volume of content provided by the game, we've been aware that community has continued to indicate a desire for more. A number of different time frames have been suggested. Some fictional and some historical scenarios have been put on the table and generated discussion among the dev team. Over Christmas I had some time to meet with the team and it didn't take us long to decide that we also wanted to get just a little more out of the current game engine. Design work has also already begun on something entirely new, but that's a bit of a ways out still, and we've got a bit of time for one more title in the Supreme Ruler franchise.

The scope for this project will be slightly different. The focus of this title will really be around creating the sandbox map and base campaign to fit the era. The chosen development timeline will present unique challenges around building the region equipment inventories. Data is limited for the map we wish to create and certain things will simply need to be extrapolated or set such as to create a good game balance. Many of the game mechanics will also remain unchanged as we try and make best use of the existing system, although there will be some updates and new features. All of this will allow us to bring a new Supreme Ruler title to market in a manageable timeframe and at a reasonable price point right from launch, as well as allowing us to continue development on the Supreme Ruler game engine.

So thanks to everyone who is already following our progress. The response from our announcement was overwhelmingly positive and reaffirmed the community desire for a bit more from the series before we move on to new things. I look forward to the reveal coming up at the end of this month.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “News”