Air droppable units & Future Units

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Baronvonpoopy wrote:...one of the requirements put forth when the M198 was designed...
But did they follow through? I can't find data on this :-?

I have both the M777 and M119A1 (L118 in the game, same thing) as airdroppable, but I can't confirm the M198.

I looked at the link but that is just pictures. If one ABD is using is for drops, that is an ABD, not an M198 Artillery battalion.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Baronvonpoopy
Corporal

Post by Baronvonpoopy »

There has been at least one battalion of M198s designated as airborne since the late 70s. Until two years ago, I spent a little over 6 years chasing M198s across drop zones. At the Fort Bragg AHA, we kept two howitzers rigged on 16 foot platforms at all times, along with two additional 12 foot platforms of ammunition (16 rounds are on each gun platform), and two M935 five-ton trucks (we had to keep our stuff at the AHA rather than CRF/CLACC due to the NEW of the 155 rounds). Well, until recently - the FMTV was finally certified for dropping and the last of the 935s went away...in about 02 if I recall correctly.
Jan
Captain

Post by Jan »

i guess that the ingame "air droppable" capacity of the YPR-765 come from there?

i would love to hear more about that capacity because i've been in AIFV (belgian naming of the YPR-765) for about 6 years and never been airdropped ;)

by the way, i confirm that it is amphibious (but awfully slow) and aerotransportable by C-130.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Jan wrote:
i guess that the ingame "air droppable" capacity of the YPR-765 come from there?...
Maybe, I don't remember any more. Is it not air droppable?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Jan
Captain

Post by Jan »

it may be paradropped but not "combat ready" for sure and certainly not with crew/combat squad in it ;)

that's at least what my real life experience tell me, now if anyone have proof that it can be done, i would be happy to see them.

PS: idem for M113, as far as i know, it can't be air dropped in combat conditions.

cheers,

Jan
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

There is currently another discussion about the M113 here
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
spdrcr
Private

Re: Air droppable units & Future Units

Post by spdrcr »

I can tell you that the 1/321 FAR (ADN) do in fact drop M198's from the sky. I was in A 1/321 at Ft. Bragg from 94 to 99. We were the only unit in the world who drops them. I have done many heavy drops with the M198. If I remeber correctly it take like six parachutes. They rig them up with like 16 rounds and powder. They can drop them from just about any Airforce cargo plane. They put the guns in one plane and the paratroopers in another and say see you on the drop zone.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Re: Air droppable units & Future Units

Post by Balthagor »

Been a while, but IIRC these were made air-droppable for the last update of SR2010 and are such for SR2020. Data files are at work so I can't check to be sure...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”