Air droppable units & Future Units

Talk and Learn about the military aspects of the game.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Draken
General
Human: Yes

BMD-4

Post by Draken »

Just in case the BMD-4 is not in the unit DB.

http://www.militaryphotos.net/forums/vi ... hp?t=26162

Regarding the future techs, I have to confess that I haven't found anything useful. The closest thing was and article about "micro-fusion" weapons it is in the "subscriptors only" area of Jane's site... :( Other than that I've only found articles about using robots, unmanned vehicles and improvement in battlefield comunications...

I'll keep looking
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Thanks for the addition, I think I have the BMD-4 but I'll make sure.

As for the technologies, don't worry too much, I'm doing some reviews of the list and am finding it fairly complete to what we need. I've been adding some future units and doing some 3D modeling and think I'll have some fun stuff for everyone. We are still hoping that we're presenting a tech tree that 80% of the people who play the game will not reach the end. I think that having the ability to drag out a game and play a scenario over many days with constant growth really adds to the experience. At least I hope so... ;)
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Draken
General

B-3 Bomber

Post by Draken »

I suppose you have gone through FAS.org several times by now... But, yet again, just in case you don't have it:

B-3 Bomber

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/b-3.htm
The Light Bomber (Manned) concept calls for a medium-sized aircraft that blends the advantages of a tactical fighter with a strategic bomber to develop a medium/long range, high payload capability (inter-theater) affordable bomber. The aircraft will utilize some level of low-observable technology to obtain an effective yet affordable aircraft which can provide for multiple/heavy weapons carriage and launch for missions requiring real time decision making/replanning or autonomous operations. Cost would be controlled by utilizing off-the-shelf systems and affordable stealth technologies (JSF technology). Logistic support would be enhanced by maximizing commonality of support equipment with existing systems.
Aragos
General

Airborne Units

Post by Aragos »

Having served a tour at Fort Bragg (home of the Airborne :)), the basic answer is that ANY unit can be designated 'Airborne' based upon its TOE (Table of Organization and Equipment).

For example, an ADA unit can be airdropped, as can towed artillery, some armored vehicles (551's noted above), and light infantry. Add to that chemical defense (and smoke), military police, etc.--basically any unit that would normally be in a light infantry division would exist in an airborne division as well.

The solution, I think, would be to give those supporting units the ability to be airdropped. The weakness would be in limited supply and defense capabilities.
Steelsky
Captain

Post by Steelsky »

If you get right down to it all units are airdroppable, it's just a matter of how much repair is needed afterwards :-D

/Steelsky
Baloogan
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Baloogan »

Steelsky wrote:If you get right down to it all units are airdroppable, it's just a matter of how much repair is needed afterwards :-D

/Steelsky
Or just how much of the unit is left behind at the airport :P
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

Steelsky wrote:If you get right down to it all units are airdroppable, it's just a matter of how much repair is needed afterwards :-D

/Steelsky
You sir, are a man of deep insight :D

Dropping a HMMWV always required a trip to the repair depot afterwards :)
Baronvonpoopy
Corporal

Post by Baronvonpoopy »

Don't have a copy of the game yet (on the to-do list for tomorrow) - I have to ask - is the M198 listed as air-droppable?
And from an earlier post in this thread - yes the XM777 is air-droppable.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

... I do not thing the M198 is air droppable :-? ...

I'll do some research and post back.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Baronvonpoopy
Corporal

Post by Baronvonpoopy »

Well, fudge. If the first links didn't work, try these:

http://www.bragg.army.mil/1-321FAR/bravo/b_pics.html
Last edited by Baronvonpoopy on May 20 2005, edited 1 time in total.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Your links don't work...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Baronvonpoopy
Corporal

Post by Baronvonpoopy »

bumpity, bump, bump...
please check the link in the edit.
Draken
General

Post by Draken »

Is the 1-321FAR equipped with the M198? I couldn't find that out in their page...

Neither I coudlnt find the 321FAR at globalsecurity.org but they say that the M198 is air-transportable not air-droppable.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... d/m198.htm

Edit:

After looking closely at the pictures of Bravo and Charlie batteries, looks like they are using the M198 on airborne ops...

Also, the home page of the 1-321 FAR says "The U.S. Army's Only 155mm Airborne Artillery"

And, finally, found it on Global Security:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... -321fa.htm
The first battalion of the Regiment provides the three Airborne Infantry Brigades of the 82d Airborne Division with on-call 155mm airborne assault capability. The 1st Battalion (Airborne), 321st Field Artillery Regiment continues the proud heritage of the 321st Regiment, providing immediately responsive, precisely accurate, and continuous artillery fires for the maneuver forces.
This unit is part of the 18th Field Artillery Brigade (Airborne), wich, interstly enough has a detachment of HIMARS MRLS AIRBORNE!!
Link:
http://www.bragg.army.mil/3-27far/234FADwww[1].html

18 FA Bde:
http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/ ... fa-bde.htm

Don't know how I missed this in my original research!!!

Thanks Baronvonpoopy!

Edit 2: :oops: The 234 Det. is not a HIMARS unit... Just a target adquisition one...
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

We are still reviewing some of this but for now are not marking the M198 since as a battalion of artillery, it is not genrally "pre-equiped" for airdrop. In theory of these units can be airdropped with pallets so all towed artillery would get the specialty and it would no longer be "special". We're still open for discussion, but that's our current thoughts...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Baronvonpoopy
Corporal

Post by Baronvonpoopy »

As a point of clarification - HIMARS, though in an ABN BDE, isn't air droppable, just air transportable.
The thing about a towed artillery piece from an acquire, arm, man, train model - there is no point in investing in a towed howitzer that does not have versitility - if it can't be airdropped, if it can't be air lifted by intra-theater fixed wing aircraft, if it's not capable of air mobility/air assault operations by rotorary wing aircraft, then it isn't really useful adn there is no point in starting the acquisition function. This was actually one of the requirements put forth when the M198 was designed, and passed on when the XM777 was selected to replace it; and the M119A1 was selected becaue it was already proven to be airdroppable - had been in use with the British army for quite a while.

Return to “Military - Defense and Operations Departments”