Small Mapeditor walkthrough;

Using Supreme Ruler's Map Editor you can modify existing scenarios or design your own. Discuss your scenarios being developed and find design and map editor assistance inside this forum. Also discuss combining regions and the steps to create missions.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, BattleGoat, Moderators

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Small Mapeditor walkthrough;

Post by Balthagor »

Since some people have been have been finding the mapeditor somewhat daunting, I though I would take a few minutes to test that everything works fine and to make some quick notes. This is for those who have played a map, but would like to teak it a little.

I used a retail copy with update #2 for this, not our dev version, so that I was seeing exactly what you will see if you try it. Here’s what I did.

Canada Scenario.

I launched the game and looked at the scenario. I went in as Ontario and poked around. I decided that I wanted more Oil resources available and wanted more electricity capacity to start. Now that I knew what I wanted to edit, I quit the game and launched the map editor.

I selected “LOAD” and saw only Australia. This is because that is the only map in the “custom” folder initially. So I alt-tabbed and copied the .MAP, .GAM and .GMC files (see mapeditor documentation for location of files) into the custom folder. I then went back, hit load again and selected Canada.

With the map open, I started making changes. Switched Agri terrain to Agri with petrol, switched the Niagara airstrip to an airport, and place a few extra units of artillery in Toronto (six G6 Rhinos should help my cause :) ). I also increased the strength of the Pickering and Darlington nuclear power plants and increased an industrial goods plant slightly. I didn’t want to change those too much as their raw materials requirements would cascade into imports of other goods. (for details on editing these elements, see the mapeditor documentation)

With my changes done, I saved the map and quit the mapeditor. Since I wanted to make this a military map, I also went into the .GMC file with Notepad and increased the belli rating for player 1 to all other players. This way when Ontario attacks any other region, the WM will leave me alone about it. I then saved and closed the file.

With all of this done, I restarted the game. Single Player – Scenario – Custom scenario. In the list I had Australia and my new Canada map. I selected it and started it. All changes were there in the map.

That’s the basics of mapediting
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Decimatus
Brigadier Gen.

Re: Small Mapeditor walkthrough;

Post by Decimatus »

Balthagor wrote:With all of this done, I restarted the game. Single Player – Scenario – Custom scenario. In the list I had Australia and my new Canada map. I selected it and started it. All changes were there in the map.
Doh! I never checked the custom maps found in the scenario selection. :P

Since I couldn't find a way to load scenarios straight from my custom folder(guess I am blind), I always moved my modified GMC, GAM, and MAP files to the normal folders.... The changes I made to the files through the map editor never seemed to make it with my files. :-? Not sure if that is an issue with custom made files and transfering them, but now that I know where to find my custom scenarios I should be good to go. :)
Decimatus
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Decimatus »

If I modify a scenario and play it as a campaign, will the next scenario in the campaign be loaded from the custom folder of the normal scenario folder?
Mewshkin
Lieutenant

Post by Mewshkin »

If thats a typo...

The next scenario will be loaded from the main scenario/map folder (I think, unless a dev says otherwise :P ). My modded UK map led into my modded Europe map - which was nowhere except my main scenario folder.
But then I've been doing the same thing as you, putting my custom maps in the main folder since I like to play campaign games... can you play these without substituting the default maps?

Mew
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

This was never tested and isn't supported. We support custom scenarios but not custom campaigns.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
maddog7667
Lieutenant

Post by maddog7667 »

your idea works i can possibly choose 2 maps to edit canada and north america when i choose load in the map editor only 1 small problem not big, the editor crashes to the desktop. any idea why? i coped the proper files to right dir.

thanx

edit: i fixed i forgot a map file my apoligies
Last edited by maddog7667 on Jul 07 2005, edited 1 time in total.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Not sure I understand. What map are you loading when it crashes? Is the .GMC file, .GAM file and .MAP file for that map in the custom folder?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
maddog7667
Lieutenant

Post by maddog7667 »

i wanted to load the north america scenerio. i rechecked i i forgot to add a .map file. but thank yo for the super fast reply :-)
britich
Corporal

Post by britich »

file locations for custom or original scenarios you wish to edit

C:\...\Supreme Ruler 2010\Custom\*.MAP
C:\...\Supreme Ruler 2010\Custom\*.GMC
C:\...\Supreme Ruler 2010\Custom\*.GAM
C:\...\Supreme Ruler 2010\Localize\LOCALEN\CUSTOM\*.GMT

C:\...\Supreme Ruler 2010\Maps\Imagery\ for your pngs

Return to “Design Scenarios, Grouping Regions, Creating Missions”