modifing units

Using Supreme Ruler's Map Editor you can modify existing scenarios or design your own. Discuss your scenarios being developed and find design and map editor assistance inside this forum. Also discuss combining regions and the steps to create missions.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, BattleGoat, Moderators

maddog7667
Lieutenant

modifing units

Post by maddog7667 »

i am trying to mod btr-112 i would like to increase the speed,range,hard attack, soft attack,etc the srunit text file in the custom folder has all the unts and i have changed this unit to my liking but there are no changes in the map edtor all the things i changed are stock.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Have you followed all the instructions in the mapeditor documentation section 1-i for importing the equipment file? Are you checking a custom scenario? Did you import after making the changes? Does the BTR-112 show the changes in the mapeditor after you import? Was the file open when you tried to import?

More details please.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
maddog7667
Lieutenant

Post by maddog7667 »

i want to use this unit in the world map in a custom scenario. some changes did show up fuel range (@1675KM),hard attack range,soft atacck range they showed up. (@18KM) hardattack,softattack,fortattack,maint cost,men. are still the same. they should be lower i think. this is the line i have been changing

2590,BTR-112,,0 Infantry,RT,,,2015,2,2,0.02,1,110,125,25,490,3 Multi,1 Wheel,1700,70,3.6,2,1 hard,50,160,7,N,50,50,50,25,90,90,90,90,30,30,35,35,35,25,26,25,25,24,53,28,0.29,2.52,0.01,1,,Y,N,N,N,N,N,N,Y,Y,N,N,N,,N,N,N,N,N,N,N,N,N,N,N,N,N,,,N,Y,,192,40,0,0,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,98,,3,X,14,1,19,1,2,3,4,,

this line has the changes i made. the file was not open when i started the game even the map edtor?

i want to lower the cost to build,lower maint cost,lower the amount of men it takes from 517 to say 100.

thanx for your time i still get excited as day 1 when i first got the game i love playing (drool)

edit: ok i dont get it and i am getting frustated. what file does the game read for the units? because its not reading the srunits.xls file in the custom folder. i took the srunit.xls out of the custom file and the game still loads and plays, it should have crashed at some point because that file is not in the dir anymore. what am i doing wrong?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I can't really look at it that way, open the .CSV in a spreadsheet and you should have a much easier time editing the file. Be sure to save it to .CSV again before opening and close it before selecting "import" in the editor.

If you see some changes in the mapeditor then it is importing. After the file has been imported the game does not look at the file.

BTW, some of the changes I would certainly disagree with, I don't think any land unit should go 1675km on one tank of gas, few do more than 1000km. Also, the crew is <men per squad> times <battalion size> so you're suggesting 2 men per BTR. That would not really be infantry and if there are that few men the attack value should be extremly low, otherwise you're making an unbalancing unit.

But if it's just to have fun with, go ahead :)
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
maddog7667
Lieutenant

Post by maddog7667 »

what progran can i use to open it in a spreadsheet? evey program i tried does not save it as a.csv file, well it does but it becomes unreadable and will not import into the game. but yea its easeir to use in a spreadsheet. this seems to be a big pain in the butt. windoze allows every thing to be just so easy, ya right. ill reinstall the game and start over.

edit k i reinstalled the game. edited btr-112 to my liking, imported the unit into the game i can see my changes in the map editor but the changes dont make it into the game the unit goes back to its default 517 men 40 soft attack 50 hard attack,cost67 million intead of 15 million etc etc. why is this such a pain it should be so simple?
Last edited by maddog7667 on Dec 05 2005, edited 1 time in total.
Draken
General

Post by Draken »

MS-Excel will do it, just make sure that your Windows regional settings are set up to US
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

If you going to try the export, you may want to read this thread for some pointers.

I would suggest using OpenOffice, so far no one has said it has caused them any problems. (link to download is in that thread)
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
maddog7667
Lieutenant

Post by maddog7667 »

perfect all the changes made it into the map editor sweet:) only 1 small problem the changes do not make it into the game the unit is still at defult
517 men should be 235 men 50 hard 40 soft 20 fort. the ranges of every thing made it i think 18km for the ataccks 1600fkm for moving range. i do not understand why? it should be working.
red
General

Post by red »

Did you place the unit, then modify SRUNITS?
maddog7667
Lieutenant

Post by maddog7667 »

i tried that and doing it the other way. the game seems to be getting the unit stats from a differnt file or somthing ,somthing i dont know . its stuphid. i am out of ideas iv spent over 20 hours so far this should have taken minutes but thanx for the idea :)
maddog7667
Lieutenant

Post by maddog7667 »

ok well iv cant get it it does not matter what you change or how much or little, you can gve the unit 1 extra man to be 518 but nope he is not there still at 517 men change the hardattack from 50 to 51 and nope its still 50. this game no matter what will not change the stats on a single item i try. i can see my changes in the map editor but they dont make it into the game no mateer how big or small.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Are you looking at the list of custom scenarios when chosing the scenario?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
maddog7667
Lieutenant

Post by maddog7667 »

every thing is closed i am not looking at anything.i am at a loss. ideas? are you sure there is not a secret backup file some were in the code?
i tried taking out the default.ini file in the hopes that doing so would forc the game to read from srunit file in the custom folder and no that did not work either. so lets see if, the game is not reading the srunit.csv file and not reading the defult.ini file to get the unit stats what file is it reading? iv read the manual 1.1 from this site at least 20 times. the units in this game are unmoddable you cannot change shi* with this mapeditor add and remove items is all the map editor is good at. any ways in the map editor documentaion is states that when ou hit reset or reset all units it resets the unit/units back to the default values for the region,were does it get the info from to reset the values to defualt?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

The reset value is taken from the column of "default research" which gets a value of Y/N

You didn't answer my question though. After you've been in the mapeditor and selected "import" you can delete the .CSV, the game NEVER looks at it, only the mapeditor does and only when you push "import". Once it is imported, any scenarios in the custom directory will use this equipment file. When you go into the game - single player - scenario - you end up in the game lobby with a list of scenarios on the right. On the left of that list are three buttons for standard scenario, custom scenario and saved games. Are you selecting custom?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
maddog7667
Lieutenant

Post by maddog7667 »

aw dude you are a good :) :) idid not know about those 3 options i thought it was a desigin. i feel like a idiot :P

Return to “Design Scenarios, Grouping Regions, Creating Missions”