Key Diplomacy Factors

Discussion about the Diplomacy System in SR2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, BattleGoat, Moderators

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Key Diplomacy Factors

Post by Balthagor »

While I still need to provide a full discussion of some of the scenario files for the moding section, the *.GMC file will also need to be discussed here. This file contains the base diplomatic stance for every region in every scenario and has the biggest impact on what diplomacy players will see. There are three ratings for each region that are key;

Initial Belli bar rating (belli);

This line includes values from 0.00 to 1.00 where 0.00 is no cause for war and 1.00 is full cause for war. Individual values are given from the region to all others. This will change throughout the game according to player actions. Belli for X against Y does not need to be the same as Y against X and will change independently.

Initial Civilian Foreign Opinion (civrelate);

This line includes values from –1.00 to 1.00 where –1.00 is hate and 1.00 is love. This represents the civilian attitude of the other regions. Individual values are given from the region to all others. This will change throughout the game, not sure of all the factors George programmed into it. Civrelate for X against Y does not need to be the same as Y against X and will change independently.

Initial Diplomatic Relation (diprelate);

This line includes values from –1.00 to 1.00 where –1.00 is very bad and 1.00 is very good. This represents the diplomatic situation between this region and the other regions. Individual values are given from the region to all others. This will change throughout the game, not sure of all the factors George programmed into it. Diprelate for X against Y does not need to be the same as Y against X and will change independently.

AI agendas will further adjust these. There are nine agendas that can be assigned to a region (playeragenda);

0 : “Default” Random/Undetermined AI Agenda
1 : “Vengeance”
2 : “Conquest”
3 : “Intimidation”
4 : “Profit”
5 : “StatusQuo”
6 : “Submission”
7 : “Reunification”
8 : “Enlightenment”

Based on all of this, here are two example situations that can come up;

- AI (X) refuses to trade with me (Y) but does not attack me and I don’t have a high enough belli to attack them.

This could mean your region;

Belli to X low
Civrelate to X low negative
Diprelate to X high negative

And the AI could be

Belli to Y moderate
Civrelate to Y moderate positive
Diprelate to Y moderate negative
Agenda: Status Quo

Because of this, the AI does not trust you but does not want to take the WM hit for attacking you. Also, your population does not feel they are some “evil empire” that is worth conquering and expects you to find ways to improve relations.

- I (Y) have extremely low Belli with AI1 (X) and have gotten trades with them but when I attacked AI2 (Z) with reasonable belli, AI1 declared war on me.

This could be your region;
Belli to X low
Belli to Z moderate to high
Civrelate to X high positive
Civrelate to Z low negative
Diprelate to X moderate
Diprelate to Z low negative

AI1 could be;

Belli to Y low
Belli to Z low
Civrelate to Y low negative
Civrelate to Z positive
Diprelate to Y moderate
Diprelate to Z low positive
Agenda: Conquest

AI2 could be;

Belli to Y low
Belli to X low
Civrelate to Y moderate
Civrelate to X moderate
Diprelate to Y low negative
Diprelate to X low positive
Agenda: StatusQuo

Because of the relations between AI1 and AI2 being somewhat positive declaring war on AI2 gives AI1 a bump in its belli bar against the player. Despite managing to get trades from having a reasonable diprelate, the civrelate will minimize WM reactions and AI1 is Conquest agenda.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Discussion of this topic is being held here; http://www.bgforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=3965
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Diplomacy - State Department”