Too easy to buy land

Discussion about the Diplomacy System in SR2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, BattleGoat, Moderators

Immunis
Corporal

Too easy to buy land

Post by Immunis »

I'm playing on the Demo as Portugal and I like the game, but I find that is too easy to buy the opponents out of their land.

If they have been in a war and are suffering with a dodgy economy then you can buy huge tracts of land for the cost of a couple of tank units.
I have bought 300 hexes in one go for under $600 Million.

As I have never started a fight or built up my armed forces (much) then I have got a treasury of $14 Billion. So far I have bought half of the Iberian peninsular for approximately $2.5 Billion.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

You're playing with an outdated version. Get the update for the demo, that is a bug.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Immunis
Corporal

Post by Immunis »

Ok thanks, I thought I had loaded the update but will try again.
8an05
Corporal

Same problem here

Post by 8an05 »

Hi all!

I am playing version 4.0.1 of the game (not the demo) and I can also buy land very easily. Is there a patch or something?

Thanks
haenkie
Brigadier Gen.

Post by haenkie »

there is a patch indeed

somewhere to be found on the site. good luck :d
8an05
Corporal

Post by 8an05 »

Yes thank you. I have found the patch and installed it. As I understand, now it is impossible for the AI to give any piece of land for any offer. So, is there any way to peacefully increase our land or war is the only option?
Natd8
Sergeant

Post by Natd8 »

I too have this problem, I offered 1.5 billion for one hex of land and always got turned down, from allies, to neutrals... always the same result.
bergsjaeger
General

Post by bergsjaeger »

:lol: well there is still a way to get land by peace. But not gonna say how because it spoils the fun of the game. :lol: have done it with patch 3 and got all the land of a region just to c if i could. and I was able to.
In war destroy everything even the livestock.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

um, patch 3 (I assume you mean update 3...) is not out yet, and we've done testing of this and not been able to find any more problems with it. Yes, the AI does not trade land, but why should it?

If you're serious that you've found a way to get the AI to accept land trades, we need to know about it please...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
bergsjaeger
General

Post by bergsjaeger »

:lol: yeah i meant 2 guess i got 3 on the brain somewhere. As for getting land its not a bug so don't worry about it and i say how it can be done then ppl will ruin their game play. :lol: the AI doesn't accept the trade I do.
8an05
Corporal

Post by 8an05 »

Hi.

Sorry to bring up this rather old post but i've been away for the past 9 months. (nothing bad though - just serving the army) Anyway, i've seen that there are a lot of updates for the game. With the latest patch is it possible now to buy land or it has been totally removed?

Thanks!
ainsworth74
Colonel

Post by ainsworth74 »

No, nothing has changed it is the same as before, the AI refuese any land trades.
All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing.

Sir Edmund Burke
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

The problem with land trades is how to assign them a value? What is one hex worth? It becomes easy to trade land to an AI that is contested by another region just to cause a conflict. We explored some AI routines on this but never found a satisfactory solution.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
bergsjaeger
General

Post by bergsjaeger »

:lol: Value of land? What ever the market value right now is. ever how much it cost to buy land now days x 10. In 2010 I bet land will cost at least 30% more than it does now. But really I don't think we'll see any country sell part of its country to another country. If they did the US would buy a strip of land from Canada so it could have Alaska connected to the rest of the country. But I doubt Canada would sell the land to begin with.
Noble713
Captain

Post by Noble713 »

Well, think of all the bases we have overseas. Those are essentially 1-hex plots in the other country with military facilties on them (and right of passage agreements). Overseas basing is impossible now unless it is already written into the scenario.

Even if we can't buy land from the AI during peacetime, it should at least trade it away in exchange for a peace treaty when you are caving its head in. I can understand the point about using such territory to provoke other nations, but I'd argue that their is substantial historical precedent for it, or similar behavior.

As for how much the land is worth, maybe:

(total population in selected hexes * GDP/C)
OR
(total production capacity in selected hexes * current market rates for commodities * 365)

Or even both combined. Either would aproximate the GDP of the region, and you can set the AI to demand $$$$ = GDP x 1 year, 2, 5....etc.
Black Metal IST KRIEG!
http://tinyurl.com/ctyrj7

Return to “Diplomacy - State Department”