heavy bombers vs ship

In this thread you can discuss any thoughts you have about balance within the game. Does a particular unit need a specification changed? Is a stealth plane not stealthy enough? Do "Belli Bar" levels need to be changed? Let us know and discuss it all here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Neither is the default attack for fighters or fighter bombers, for such aircraft mavericks,hellfires and smart bombs are part of that default.

BUT not for some bombers.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
Draken
General
Human: Yes

Post by Draken »

red wrote:I think he's saying that JDAMs aren't just iron bombs.

And by the way, RELAX. :D
Exactly!

Just iron dumb bombs with a kit... A guidance kit, so they aren't dumb anymore... :D
tkobo wrote: Neither is the default attack for fighters or fighter bombers, for such aircraft mavericks,hellfires and smart bombs are part of that default.

That's an interseting point... But not every country uses smart bombs, not even on the same platform... US F-16 have smart bomb available and, probably,, they are their default loadout, but venezuelan F-16 don't. Venezuela might have some smart bombs but the default loadout is dumb bombs...

I guess that is one of the difficulties of modeling ordenance other than the integrated guns...
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"
-
Si vis pacem, para bellum
-
It is hard to free fools from the chains they revere.
Voltaire
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Perhaps theres a better way to do this.

What if a smart bomb tech /weapons tech (which would be meant to include all weapons not modeled as units that are not iron bombs) was added to give all aircraft a bonus to their default attack once researched.

Of course than all those fighters and fighter bombers would have to have their current default attacks lowered, so that the bonus from the tech brings them up to about the current attack number instead of past it.

This way,every region and every aircraft could get the ability to use smart weapons ,but modeled as a tech rather than on the units default attack.

You could replace the smart munitions tech, which just seems to be a unit requirement anyway, and use this new smart weapons tech to do both.
Chuckle TM
Feltan
General

Post by Feltan »

Except the default load out, even for the US, is not smart munitions. A lot of dumb iron bombs get dropped -- in fact that is/was the vast majority of munitions used in Afghanistan and Iraq to date. The whiz-bang guided munitions get covered in the media, but a couple of B-52's loaded with iron can change the tonnage dropped in favor of low tech pretty quick.

Regards,
Feltan
ETA Five Minutes ......
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Im done on this topic.

At this point id rather shoot the old horse than keep trying to get it to drink :P
Chuckle TM
Feltan
General

Post by Feltan »

A horse is a horse of course, of course unless it isn't a horse of course..... :lol:

Regards,
Feltan
ETA Five Minutes ......
The Khan
General

Post by The Khan »

What's about that "iron" thingy? Aren't bombs made out of steel and TNT or what? I'm sure they don't use raw iron anymore...
Draken
General
Human: Yes

Post by Draken »

The Khan wrote:What's about that "iron" thingy? Aren't bombs made out of steel and TNT or what? I'm sure they don't use raw iron anymore...
We would need somebody really old like tkobo or feltan to answer that! :D

But my money is that the name came from the chinese cast iron bomb of the 12th century...
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"
-
Si vis pacem, para bellum
-
It is hard to free fools from the chains they revere.
Voltaire
Feltan
General

Post by Feltan »

They may be. I know artillery shells are cased in steel, but was always told the good old 500 pounder was cased in iron -- and not that high quality of iron either. However, I've never layed hands on one so I can't say for sure.

Regards,
Feltan
ETA Five Minutes ......
Asimov
Sergeant

Post by Asimov »

tkobo wrote:Neither is the default attack for fighters or fighter bombers, for such aircraft mavericks,hellfires and smart bombs are part of that default.

If the payload is limited to just 'dumb' iron bombs, fighters cetainly have higher accuracy in their delivery of bombs, given that they can do a very low altitude bomb run, which is a mission B- 52 not designed to do.

Furthermore, large number of bombers may not do a much better job than just a small numbers of fighter bombers due to the issue of airspace density.

If one use 12 bombers to attack a ship with iron bombs, that doesn't mean the bombers are going to 'rush' in from all four corners and sink the ship in a hail of irons and explosives. The more plauisble scenarios will the the bombers proceed to bomb the ship one by one in a line in a line asternformation. While use of large no. of bombers certainly increase the chance of hitting the ship for the whole formation, the inherent inaccuracy of level bombing make such improvement marginal at best.

On the other hand, a detachment (4) of fighters bomber, who don't needed to worry much about limits in airspace for manuver, can do the job with flexibility and agility impossible for heavy bombers.

Return to “Balance”