modding unit models

If you have the desire to modify SR2010 here is where you can discuss and share your designs and ideas. NOTE: Mods are a change to the original program and are not supported by BattleGoat Studios.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

stevenb
Corporal

modding unit models

Post by stevenb »

Is there any way to mod the units or add unit models to the game??
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

Certainly. Each unit model is stored as a picture in the /graphics/units folder. You can replace any picture you like, so long as you provide all 13 facings used by the game.

To add a new picture, simply create the graphic and give it a new number. Then use the instructions provided for moding the equipment file and give the picture number to the unit you wish to use the picture.

NOTE: when assigning pictures, we are over 250 already and I have notes for many more. It is possible that a future update will add a new picture that could overright the number you chose, so backup any files you add in this way. The next update for example will have at least 6 new unit pictures (more if I have time). Also avoid numbers between 301 and 400 as these are used for map upgrades.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
stevenb
Corporal

Post by stevenb »

Thanks for your reply, So all i have to do is have model with 13 facings with no specific format or model type such as voxel or 3do, any unit with 13 faceings that just sounds too easy, anyway i ran across an entry in the tech file for a bipedal walker tech level 124 will it's model be included in your next update? By the way great game guys thanks for all the hard work.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

You are correct that it does not require any specific model type because we render them out as .PNG files (actually I render as Tiff, 13 frames, then past them onto a template .PSD before saving off the .PNG)

Model 245 will be the picture for the bipedal walker and yes, the unitpic will be included in the next update.

BTW, if you have some models that could be used for expanding the game, feel free to send them over and we can try and integrate them "officially" and you could even get you're name into the updated credits (the ones seen in game). We use Cinema4D but I can usually work with .dxf, .low, .3ds, .cob or .obj models.

You can send them to chris@battlegoat.com if you like.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
The_Blind_One
Colonel

Post by The_Blind_One »

btw do you guys have a model of a modern day battleship with 4 turrets? I have only seen the IOWA unit with 3 turrets, but in my world scenario I intend to use alot of sea power (alot of sea I have in my map :D) and I will be massively upgrading battleships to be severe bitches in the ass when fighting with those :D and I would just love for a modern day 4 turret battleship unit picture.

P.S

and if you guys can get me one with 5 or 6 turrets :o I would even buy the game twice!!! :D
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

With how few battleships will end up in the game (considering there is only 1 now) it is not worth the extra memory to have a second battleship picture. Sorry.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Mods”