Making new icons, buildings, ect

If you have the desire to modify SR2010 here is where you can discuss and share your designs and ideas. NOTE: Mods are a change to the original program and are not supported by BattleGoat Studios.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Deitrus
Warrant Officer

Making new icons, buildings, ect

Post by Deitrus »

I have having issues when trying to replace the buildings, ect in the game. They will not show up. I go to the proper graphics folder in SR and cut/paste my new creation but it still doesn't show up. Is there a certain way to do this? Thanks.
Deitrus
Warrant Officer

Post by Deitrus »

Are there any type utilities that I need? I want to replace some of the facilities such as buildings, military and hospitals buildings with more realistic ones. Not sure what I am doing wrong. 8_
Deitrus
Warrant Officer

Post by Deitrus »

This is what I am trying to replace so that they look more realistic;

http://www.battlegoat.com/

scroll down to "Map Graphics Update" - located on the left hand side- and see the pictures there.
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Usually Chris would give all the details on tackling this, but as he's away at the GDNet conference I'll toss a few suggestions:

- The images for facilities are now treated like the images for military units - the original graphics are stored in the Graphics\Units directory off your main SR2010 installation.

- The images are stored by 'pic number' referenced by the equipment list. For the upgrades, these numbers are in the 300 to 365 range. For example, the file "UNITBITS332.PNG" contains the images for the Consumer Goods factory.

- Some facilities have animations - the frames are stored in order starting from the top left, and are looped. Some facilities are 'turret facings', for example the Air Defense sites - these facings make up 13 frames and the filename ends with a "T", for example UNITBITS346T.PNG for the air defense sites.

- Urban/City images have frames that are used for differnt facing/positioning, as well as a "Capital" special frame in the bottom left corner.

- Each facility has a 'key frame' in the bottom right corner, used in the user interface.

The topic of the facility images themselves is one that has generated a lot of discussion, both in the past on this forum, and on other forums (as well as our reviews). Some people like the "symbolic" icon look that we went for - the ability to quickly spot your industries and upgrades. Others think the look is "cartoony" and detracts from the realism of the game. Both answers are right, and a matter of preference.

The option of a more realistic looking set of facility images is one we'd like to offer, but we haven't been able to get anything that looks good. (Hey, if you come up with a mod that looks good, we'd love to post it for everyone interested to download!)

-- George.

PS - I imagine Chris will move this thread to the appropriate forum section once he gets back.
Deitrus
Warrant Officer

Post by Deitrus »

http://www.bgforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=5999

thanks, I started a new thread in the proper area for mods. This may explain more of what I am looking for.

ahh, no wonder they weren't showing up. I was looking in the wrong area. Thank you. 8)

Return to “Mods”