Questions regarding aircraft

If you have the desire to modify SR2010 here is where you can discuss and share your designs and ideas. NOTE: Mods are a change to the original program and are not supported by BattleGoat Studios.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Cirdan
Warrant Officer

Questions regarding aircraft

Post by Cirdan »

Am I correct in assuming that
1) speed given is maximum "clean" speed
and 2) range given is range unloaded, at altitude, without droptanks?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

speed is usually "cruising speed" and range is usually "combat radius". Some sites are not very specific about the data they give and some data is unavailable.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Cirdan
Warrant Officer

Post by Cirdan »

Thank you. I have reworking a number of aircraft on my to-do list, but i have other priorities first. The problem is that operational speed and range are very condition-dependant, since before each mission their will be (in real air forces) a three way tradeoff between payload, speed and range. Of course, no game will simulate this, so it's almost as hard as giving SAMs a range (since a SAM's range in terms of ground covered is highly dependant upon target altitude and the ammount of manoeuvering required). Gah; i'll add all the units i want to before touching this particular can of worms.
Cirdan
Warrant Officer

Post by Cirdan »

OH, and while i'm at it...is there any practical difference between a 1km and a 2km range, or is that entirely lost due to the hex system?
And how exactly does initiative work?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

1km vs. 2km - no difference to the game, still one hex.

Initiative is a number of factors including how fast a unit reloads, retargets and responds to player orders.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Cirdan
Warrant Officer

Post by Cirdan »

Balthagor wrote:1km vs. 2km - no difference to the game, still one hex.

Initiative is a number of factors including how fast a unit reloads, retargets and responds to player orders.
So it doesn't allow a unit to strike first? damn.
Also, i assume fuel use is linked to time spent moving, but what exactly is the proportion and what unit have you used for fuel? is it in barrels, since that's what the game measures oil/gas stocks in?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

fuel is in barrels (converting from aircraft weight is often a pain in the butt). Fuel use is a calculated value. It is only in the equipment file as a guide for setting total fuel cap. The formula is use=[cap/(range/spd)] IIRC
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Cirdan
Warrant Officer

Post by Cirdan »

Okay, thank you. If it has no in-game effect, will it make the game consider the unit as incomplete and not use it if i do not fill in this value? Although i have real fuel usage stats for some units (Blackburn Buccaneer and Gazelle), for most i don't and i like to minimize pain to my backside ;)

EDIT: additional question, where did you see info on a land-launched Aster 15? or is it an extrapolation of yours? While it's perfectly legitimate to assume one might be mounted on a truck, IIRC the current SAMP/T program is limited to an eight-cell ASTER-30 launcher. It actually is of no importance whatsoever, but i'm curious.

EDIT2: Further question, does the the M280 or M270A1 represent the GMLRS/LRM-NG program? I know i'm a pest, but this time it does matter.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

- leaving fuel consumption blank should not interfere with import

- land launched Aster; been way too long since I entered that, no idea. Could have been a guess on my part from partial data.

- GMLRS is a technology to extend range, not a unit.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Cirdan
Warrant Officer

Post by Cirdan »

Thank you. However, in real-life the GMLRS munitions program (called the LRM-NG by the French due to the "exception virus") is aimed at extending the service life of the M270 MLRS, rather than building a new one, whereas in the game GMLRS designates a general technology of MLRS range etxension. So i reiterate my question, would the fictional in-game M280 represent these upgraded M270s or is it pure fictional? I know (now) that M270A1 is an upgrade kit for the M270 which appears to be exclusive to the US, whereas the GMLRS is joint US/UK/France/Germany/Italy (and i may have forgotten someone). I guess that it isn't very important, but i'd like to know; i saw that you'd started putting in a LRM-NG unit which was never completed...
EDIT: while i'm pestering you, should i upload my mod to the wiki? or is there no point?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Hold off uploading a bit, we're trying to do maintenance to solve some of the problems re: cvars. When that's done, yes, posting it to the wiki is a good idea.

As for the M280, entierly fictional. And you are correct that I had notes on the LRM-NG but IIRC for SR2020 it is also replaced by the GMLRS technology. Another of those akward things to model in a game.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Cirdan
Warrant Officer

Post by Cirdan »

Yes...i was recently trying to do determine how the Leclerc's defences (relatively thin but sophisticated reactive armour, plus superior manoeuvering capacity, plus the ability to generate a smokescreen and fire decoys) would compare to those of the M1A2 (much more classic in design, since they consist solely of as much very dense stuff as the chassis can carry being placed between the crew and the enemy). In the end, game balance decided it: having good estimates on the Leclerc's price make it much more expensive than the M1A2, I just decided to go with the most optimistic predictions of its capabilities. But i guess that kind of thing is business as usual for you ;) .

Anyway thanks for the answers.
Cirdan
Warrant Officer

Post by Cirdan »

Could you tell me exactly how stealth strength/spotting strength works? I know it modifies the range ta which unit A can spot unit B, but could you tell me the exact formula or would that be to much to ask?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Have you read the blog yet?

http://www.supremeruler.com/blogs/?p=8

I don't have those formulas handy, could be a while before I can get you that.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Cirdan
Warrant Officer

Post by Cirdan »

Nice blog. I'm glad you pointed me to it, and i'm glad you'll be differentiating sonar from radar in the next game :)

Return to “Mods”