Lack of realism?

Discuss Research and Social Aspects of the game here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, BattleGoat, Moderators

Chairmaker
Corporal

Lack of realism?

Post by Chairmaker »

I noticed that for some countries the technologies they start with aren't really what they are supposed to have in reality. Usually those are minor issues, but somtimes it can be very irritating.

Israel, for example, had satellite-launching capabilites since about 1988, and launched it's first recon sattelite in 1995. Israel's recon Satellites are considered to be among the most advanced in the world, and a new launch will probably take place in several years time (the latest launch of "Ofec 5" failed) .

Considering this - I find its weird that in SR2010 I need to spend 10 years researching recon satellites for Israel, even though more than 15 years passed sinse Israel developed (and launched) its first recon sat in reality (and I don't think there were any fictional events which might have caused Israel to lose this technology)

As I said before - Its a minor issue and I guess there are plenty of those for many countries, but I still would like to know if there is some way to modify the starting conditions of regions so that It will be more realistic.
3iff
Brigadier Gen.

Post by 3iff »

One point is that in 2010, the world has fragmented, so countries are sometimes fragments of original countries and some techs and abilities have been lost. The story/blurb is out there somewhere explaining the background.

That's why many countries have units (like tanks/planes) but lack the immediate ability to build more of their own.
Legend
General
Human: Yes

Re: Lack of realism?

Post by Legend »

This is a good suggestion. Chris designed the MidEast scenario so we'll have to let him know so he can adjust it in an update, if that is what he wants to do. Over time there will be minor tweaks to maps that add a bit more accuracy to the maps.

Are there other items people see that could be changed?
Chairmaker wrote:I noticed that for some countries the technologies they start with aren't really what they are supposed to have in reality. Usually those are minor issues, but somtimes it can be very irritating.

Israel, for example, had satellite-launching capabilites since about 1988, and launched it's first recon sattelite in 1995. Israel's recon Satellites are considered to be among the most advanced in the world, and a new launch will probably take place in several years time (the latest launch of "Ofec 5" failed) .

Considering this - I find its weird that in SR2010 I need to spend 10 years researching recon satellites for Israel, even though more than 15 years passed sinse Israel developed (and launched) its first recon sat in reality (and I don't think there were any fictional events which might have caused Israel to lose this technology)

As I said before - Its a minor issue and I guess there are plenty of those for many countries, but I still would like to know if there is some way to modify the starting conditions of regions so that It will be more realistic.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

These type of things are certianly something we could use help with! Research what techs go to what country took FOREVER! And clearly we missed some :-(

So yes, please report what's missing so we can make updates.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Cyberpunk666
Corporal

Post by Cyberpunk666 »

Argentina needs the tech for nuclear reactors, although we sold a nuclear reactor to Australia in 2003-4. And the country have 2 nuclear plants.
so i think that one, for now.
thanks for this great game, althoug i cant get the economy working!
=P
The_Blind_One
Colonel

Post by The_Blind_One »

It appears alot of regions wich didn't fragment that do have nuclear powerplants lack any ability to produce nuclear facilities...most of them haven't even started research on it :roll:

Kinda annoying indeed, specially if ur playing a smaller region already it's extremely hard to get techs :-(
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Be sure to let us know when you find techs not assigned that should be, it is often hard to figure out who should have what. I had no idea that Argentina was making nuclear reactors (many countries had their reactors built for them).

Also, if you have a web link to back it up, that would be best.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Eric Larsen
Colonel

Some old techs lost?

Post by Eric Larsen »

What's really annoying is some of the older techs, like freefall bombs, aren't already researched. It's really kind of lame that not one region remembers how to make freefall bombs when they've got better ones already researched to start the game. Another annoying thing is in the World scenario the US can build light infantry and engineers yet still has them as available research projects. I even saw where I could sell them as research items yet I still would have to research them myself.

Please make some of those older techs like freefall bombs, light infantry and engineers already researched to start the scenarios. It would help players and the AI if they are already researched so we and the AI don't have to waste research effort reinventing the wheel already made. Besides there's so much to research that we just don't need to rehash boring stuff like freefall bombs.
Thanks,

Eric Larsen
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

We can't make the freefall bombs pre-researched because they where added in an update. If we did, the next update would contain EVERY scenario for the game and that is simply too large. I see your point but I think it takes 2-3 days to research this missile, hardly seems worth it.

As for the light infantry/engineers, there are two versions in the game with the same name. There is the NATO/US version (uses HMMWV pic) and the Russian/Chinese version (uses BRDM pic). The US only builds the US version and it is preresearched.

Any others?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Department of Interior - Research and Social Services”