Plus defense techs ?

Discuss Research and Social Aspects of the game here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, BattleGoat, Moderators

tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Plus defense techs ?

Post by tkobo »

Okay, lets start with the "upgrade defense" set of 3 techs.

Lets look at one of the pluses.

Upgrade defense III - adds 10% to both soft and hard target defense.

Okay, what is the stat equivalent to hard target defense for the M1A5 ?

Where can we see it ?

Is it a set percentage or a number ? and does the +10 mean a set +10% to that ?IE if the defense was a percentage ,and its value was 50 % it would make it 60% ?
Or does it mean that it adds an additional +10% of the defense ?
IE if the defense was a percentage and its value was 50% it would add 10% of the 50% for a total of 55% ?

Same for if its a number .
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

This should be the 4 defense values for soft and hard target units if I remember correctly...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Actually, the wording here is a bit obscure... let's assume that the tech said "Soft Target Defense +15%, Hard Target Defense +10%"

What this would then do is that, for soft target units (ie Garrison infantry), it would add 15% all the defensive values, and for hard target units, it would add 10% to the defensive values.

Using your example of the M1A5, it's defensive values are shown in the unit popup as:
Close Defense 26, Surface Defense 52, Air Defense 32, Indirect Defense 130.

Since the M1A5 is a hard target, a tech that adds 10% would then make these values act like 29, 57, 35, 143 (10% higher). However, this doesn't change the number that is shown in the popup, it is only used in the actual calculations. (Note: I'm not sure if this is the best choice, we could always show it in the popup specs like we do with the artillery range enhancements, etc)

Those attack and defense numbers themselves (ie "Surface Defense 52") are not really meaningful as numbers, they are only important in relation to other units. For example, a baseline strong attack value for a tank would be 50-60, and a baseline strong surface defense value for a tank would be 40-50. A tank with a surface defense of 55 will suffer approx 10% less damage per shot than a tank with surface defense of 50. (Ignoring other factors, of course.)

-- George.
deanco
Major

Post by deanco »

George Geczy wrote:Since the M1A5 is a hard target, a tech that adds 10% would then make these values act like 29, 57, 35, 143 (10% higher). However, this doesn't change the number that is shown in the popup, it is only used in the actual calculations. (Note: I'm not sure if this is the best choice, we could always show it in the popup specs like we do with the artillery range enhancements, etc)
I'm not sure it is the best choice either. The player worked hard for that upgrade, and I'm positive he wants to see his numbers going up, right there on the screen. That's his visible reward for getting the upgrade, for heck's sake. Let him bask in the glory of those superbad stats! :)

DeanCo--
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Okay,that works for me. I was trying to see how and if they worked.

I also think most players would like to see the stat increases.But as long as its working i wouldnt put a high priority on changing this.
Especially if it would take any large amount of time and effort.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
3iff
Brigadier Gen.

Post by 3iff »

Well the range values for the artillery upgrades (EFRB and V-Lap) do change. I've never really researched that much (short scenarios) so rarely get things like defence upgrades. Even if I did, I haven't noticed any value changes - simply because I didn't look at the before/after values.

But if we do get upgraded values, then we do need to see them so we can make sensible decisions as to which units to build.
The_Blind_One
Colonel

Post by The_Blind_One »

Why not have the UPDATED stats show and when u hold ur mouse over the stats it should say something like this

Close Defense
Base: 40
Current: 44 (10%)

that 10% would be the upgrade :D

Return to “Department of Interior - Research and Social Services”