Research center location

Discuss Research and Social Aspects of the game here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, BattleGoat, Moderators

FastBoy101
Captain

Research center location

Post by FastBoy101 »

When I put my future research center in different places, nothing changes in its description window (unlike other industrial buildings). What is going to be the difference between building my research center:
- In Northern Quebec with only raindeers to populate it;
- Near Saguenay (still away from centers, but still a city);
- Next to Sherbrooke (with half its population from students, and closer to to Montreal)?

Is it just more productive in the same places where industrial/consumer production is higher?
Big stuff from K5
Decimatus
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Decimatus »

It is technically a military building and not industrial. The research centers in the game are closer to Los Alamos than MIT in the way they are built and operated.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

research centre location has no effect currenlty.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
FastBoy101
Captain

Post by FastBoy101 »

Then... let's see what kind of research raindeers do :D

I thought it would attract population or soemthing, but then it is simpler.
Big stuff from K5
el_slapper
Captain

Post by el_slapper »

Balthagor wrote:research centre location has no effect currenlty.
:P "currently" is the key word, it seems. Any project of change?
War, about who is right?about who is left!
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Nothing really has been suggested so far. Any comments on what you think it should do? Might give us more ideas...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
klaz28
Sergeant

Post by klaz28 »

forcing people to place them near population centres would limit the number of centres (higher population would increase reasearch efficiency also etc), and also make them more vulnerable (its easy to place them in the middle of your country to avoid loosing them to invasion)
Decimatus
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Decimatus »

I would rather have the research centers draw a population to them, rather than force players to place them near population centers.

These are military research facilities afterall. Researching stuff like nuclear weapons, fighter aircraft, cruise missiles, and tactical lasers. These are the facilities you would find out in the desert such as Los Alamos, Area 51, White Sands, etc.

They can be near population centers, but it should be by no means required, let alone prefered.
3iff
Brigadier Gen.

Post by 3iff »

I agree with Decimatus...

Research centres might also be researching dangerous things. Not the sort of place you would want near a large population centre.
tboy21
Major

Post by tboy21 »

3iff wrote:I agree with Decimatus...

Research centres might also be researching dangerous things. Not the sort of place you would want near a large population centre.
the opposite is the currect answer... if it's near a population.. it might look like another hightech indastrial center rather then MRC
Decimatus
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Decimatus »

There is no reason to target a research center in this game. It makes it even more of a pain to take a research center if there are no roads to it and it is out in the middle of nowhere.
BattleGoat
General

Post by BattleGoat »

There is no reason to target a research center in this game. It makes it even more of a pain to take a research center if there are no roads to it and it is out in the middle of nowhere.
I don't know about that... Reducing an enemy's research capabilities can be key to having the edge in battle. (Prevent them from getting new unit designs and upgraded technologies - like EFRB, that will improve their artillery range)

If you don't want to go out of your way to try and capture a research centre, at least consider a Tomahawk strike to reduce the centre's abilities.
- David
bergsjaeger
General

Post by bergsjaeger »

U can always airdrop troops close to the research center.
In war destroy everything even the livestock.
BigStone
General

Post by BigStone »

Maybye i'm missing something... :oops:

But.... uuuhhh... RC's do increase the suply-rate of that area...

Doesn't it.... ???

Cheers
Decimatus
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Decimatus »

BattleGoat wrote:
I don't know about that... Reducing an enemy's research capabilities can be key to having the edge in battle. (Prevent them from getting new unit designs and upgraded technologies - like EFRB, that will improve their artillery range)

If you don't want to go out of your way to try and capture a research centre, at least consider a Tomahawk strike to reduce the centre's abilities.
Most techs in this game take longer to research than the build up to war lasts. The enemy would be lucky if he has the time to research more than a handful of techs before he gets rolled.

New units aren't that important, unless that new unit just so happens to be the only fighter/bomber you own. EFRB is nice, but it won't turn the tide of a war, and if that research center is out of the way, I am not going to bother a cruise missile on it or a unit to capture it. My cruise missiles would be better served dropping their airbases, or killing units.

If the research center is on the way, sure I will take it. But once the war starts, research is a rather unnescecary expense that takes away from essential unit production. If they want to spend money on research, they are only making themselves easier to conquer in the end.

Return to “Department of Interior - Research and Social Services”