Migration, emigration, birth rate... and jingoism

Discuss Research and Social Aspects of the game here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, BattleGoat, Moderators

FastBoy101
Captain

Migration, emigration, birth rate... and jingoism

Post by FastBoy101 »

I'm playing Quebec, in Canada. The populationmight see its cultural identity menaced, and its newly found independence is menaced by "the outsiders".

Does the game go to the level of considering such a situation and its effect on immi/emigration policies, migrants integration, birthrates (people don't want to be "flooded"), and culture?

I'd like to know what it means to "retain" scientists/students/etc from emigrating too... by force? Incentives?...
Big stuff from K5
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Right now, SR2010 doesn't extensively use the imm/em settings, they have an effect but it is pretty minor.

We have thought about ways to make this more significant, but haven't really come to any firm decisions on this. It is in the 'future thoughts' column :-)

-- George.
Il Duce
Brigadier Gen.

ANother observation

Post by Il Duce »

While I wouldn't want to contradict the developer, i just had a situation where bumping up the Immigration fee from 15,000 to the max 49,999 immediately resulted in a two-point jump in DAR. This was after doing all kinds of other adjustments to halt a slide, including practically giving away con-goods and food and water. Immigration had been rising, and continues even after the bump. I guess the pop has some of that euro xenophobia going on. Hope they don't start in with ethnic cleansing.
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously [but otherwise, they do not worry and are happy].
Sebastiaan
Colonel

Post by Sebastiaan »

George Geczy wrote:Right now, SR2010 doesn't extensively use the imm/em settings, they have an effect but it is pretty minor.

We have thought about ways to make this more significant, but haven't really come to any firm decisions on this. It is in the 'future thoughts' column :-)

-- George.
Well you could make the effects more significant by simulate the effects of refugees. Refugees are generated by territory near hostile enemy activity. The more civilian casualties created in a region, the more fear will be spread and the more refugees will be generated. Region with intense shifting of borders will therefore generate lots of refugees, trying to flee from all the violense.

The number of pupulation in a region which generates refugees should decline and the population of neighboring hexes should rise depending on how many can settle there. Depending on the undeployment percentage, fleeing refugees will either settle or continue to flee untill they found a job or found a tepory (or permanent) save haven in a refugee camp (across the border of another region which is not in war). As a result terriory with heavy civilian casualties will generate large flows of refugees, and therefore we depopulate the enitire area.
CptBritish
Brigadier Gen.

Post by CptBritish »

I think we should beable to just stop people coming in...

Then we really would have control on immigration...

Then the "Conservatives" Among us could have some real control...

*Disclaimer*

I am not a "Conservative"
Thank You for reading...
Supporting Nuclear Power in the UK.

Just because the Japanese happened to build one near multiple fault lines doesn't make them any more dangerous than they were before the Earthquake.
Sebastiaan
Colonel

Post by Sebastiaan »

CptBritish wrote:I think we should beable to just stop people coming in...

Then we really would have control on immigration...
Well, this too could be simulated. In peace time, most migration consist of Economic refugees. From a game point of view, they are equal. To counter refugees from crossing the border, you have to create a barrier. of soldiers. By positioning ground troups across the entire border, you can prevent any refugees crossing the border and settlew themselves. THis iron curtain effect would not only prevent refugees from entering your region, but could also prevent your own population frim fleeing. THat way, you be able to turn your entire region into a large prizon (similar to DDR before the fall of the wall). This tactic can also create to isolate a rivaling nation from crossing their border at all, effectivly taking them hostage (like Gaza durring the occupation of israel)
Eric Larsen
Colonel

Minor Effects???

Post by Eric Larsen »

George Geczy wrote:Right now, SR2010 doesn't extensively use the imm/em settings, they have an effect but it is pretty minor.

-- George.
George,
Like Il Duce I too raised my immigration setting to $49,999. It helped mightily to finally curb the tide of immigration which helped me get my GDP/c to rise. I also got a rise out of the WM when bond time came about and they trashed me with a 9.5% bond interest rate reissue. I'd say that jacked up WM interest rate was not a minor effect as I decided that it was game over and try again.
Thanks,

Eric Larsen

Return to “Department of Interior - Research and Social Services”