Petrolium consumption , how to create jobs also?

Discussion of the Economic Model in SR2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Blue|2
Lieutenant

Petrolium consumption , how to create jobs also?

Post by Blue|2 »

Land x population + millitary = petrolium consumption??
I had a game where i was trying to keep the economy good but since i conquered much land i had a redicilous petrolium consumption - so i built a lot of oil derricks and this again made my production expences a 18billion per year. And my gnp when rock bottom - this even to the fact i was creating a lot of new jobs (millitary careers + industry careers)

The only units i had that used petrolium was 6 medium infantery and some anti air stuff. The rest was infantery units. All millitary bases but one airport and one garrison was deactivated. So i have no idea why i needed so much petrolium...
red
General

Post by red »

We were talking about this in the chat, and...

Does the price of finished goods reflect the cost of raw materials? Asking about finished goods before, I think the response was something like 'you don't pay yourself to use your commodities'. So if I use petroleum etc. in making Industrial Goods, is the cost of petroleum etc. counted in the IG cost? Or in other words, can you sell IG for a profit and still make a loss overall?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

My understanding is that the cost of the raw materials IS acounted for. Be sure to nag if George does not confirm this.

As for the petrolium consumption, it can also be used for power generation. Even if you have no petrolium based power plants, cities generate power on their own and this is petrolium based power. If you have enough clean ways to make power it will use those first and avoid consuming petrol but otherwise that will add to your demand.

There is a way to see EXACTLY where it's going. In production, select Petrol. In the second panel, fifth button, Comsuption/Usage details will tell you where your petrolium is being used.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Khorne
Major

Post by Khorne »

dont build a ton of oil fields fing the reddist oil reserve those produce more oil
Go Home and Die
The_Blind_One
Colonel

Post by The_Blind_One »

Balthagor wrote:My understanding is that the cost of the raw materials IS acounted for. Be sure to nag if George does not confirm this.
I'm fairly sure it's incorporated :D
As for the petrolium consumption, it can also be used for power generation. Even if you have no petrolium based power plants, cities generate power on their own and this is petrolium based power. If you have enough clean ways to make power it will use those first and avoid consuming petrol but otherwise that will add to your demand.
I just wanted to say that this is wrong. It will not use alternative resources.

It will use a % of total production (aslong as all facilities are active)

(talking very abstractly)

if a region needs 500 units of power and u have 8 powerplants each with the ability to produce 100 units of power. 3 nuclear, 2 coal, 3 oil powerplants.

The cheapest layout would be; 3 nuclear + 2 coal (aslong as all good prices stay normal)
usage:
nuclear is 60%
coal is 40%

Now u can let ur powerplants run at overcapacity.

The following layout would be; 3 nuclear + 2 coal + 3 oil
usage:
nuclear is 37.5%
coal is 25%
oil is 37.5%

Now practictly speaking, u could just disable the oil powerplants to reduce oil consumption, however, there are just like u said, city power use, and this is run by oil and u can't effect this so in return u will always use oil no matter what u do (unless u use a scenario where no city energy production is present)

There is a way to see EXACTLY where it's going. In production, select Petrol. In the second panel, fifth button, Comsuption/Usage details will tell you where your petrolium is being used.[/quote]

I would absolutely LOVE it if I was actually ABLE to prioritize the allocation of resources.

I noticed that last time in a war my oil production was...minimal, however it would have been enough just to power my units so that they could take over the enemy territories...however this was impossible since petrol demand by population sucked the resources away faster then that the oil could arrive at my troops :evil: Able to allocate these oil resources to where u deem them most neccesary :) that would be awesome :D
Wynand Meyering
Corporal

Post by Wynand Meyering »

red wrote:We were talking about this in the chat, and...

Does the price of finished goods reflect the cost of raw materials? Asking about finished goods before, I think the response was something like 'you don't pay yourself to use your commodities'. So if I use petroleum etc. in making Industrial Goods, is the cost of petroleum etc. counted in the IG cost? Or in other words, can you sell IG for a profit and still make a loss overall?
The economic model in SR2010 is totally whack when it comes to commodity exports. Try playing Saudi Arabia in the Middle East Scenario. It is supposed to be the OIL KINGDOM with 25% of the world's oil. Yet after spending billions , I was barely able to turn a profit from the hundreds of oil and gas fields I built.

There are no solutions. The model is wrong.
The_Blind_One
Colonel

Post by The_Blind_One »

Wynand Meyering wrote:
red wrote:We were talking about this in the chat, and...

The economic model in SR2010 is totally whack when it comes to commodity exports. Try playing Saudi Arabia in the Middle East Scenario. It is supposed to be the OIL KINGDOM with 25% of the world's oil. Yet after spending billions , I was barely able to turn a profit from the hundreds of oil and gas fields I built.

There are no solutions. The model is wrong.
you do know that exports of ur oil income is actually counted towards ur trade balance right? and it is not directly noted in ur income. However the production costs to produce the extra trade IS counted against ur national expendiature...so that might confuse u.

Also oil only contributes for 5% of ur economy. So u need to export roughly 15x ur own oil demand to be able to import all consumer good demand. Wich also brings in costs.

I'm currently playing venezuela and my trade is roughly 50% of my national income, I'm making loads eventhough the game doesn't show that directly with one glance at ur checkbook. Trade is not always noted precisely in the game.

Check for what price ur exporting (aslong as it's above ur cost price) and see if ur getting rid of ur surplus aswell. Aslong as ur not investing to much money into it and ur exporting at a stabile price u will most definantly gain ALOT of money from it.

Just don't expect to be able to repay ur national debt within 1 year just because ur exporting oil alot, also know that consumer goodies are enourmesly expensive (when importing) and most real countries in the world actually are unable to do purchases of these goods...so try and put a stop on ur import of goods. You're garantueed to have money left ;) also u got to deal with that angy mob cuz ur DAR will drop significantly.
Eric Larsen
Colonel

Oil Fields less expensive

Post by Eric Larsen »

Blue|2 wrote:Land x population + millitary = petrolium consumption??
I had a game where i was trying to keep the economy good but since i conquered much land i had a redicilous petrolium consumption - so i built a lot of oil derricks and this again made my production expences a 18billion per year. And my gnp when rock bottom - this even to the fact i was creating a lot of new jobs (millitary careers + industry careers)
Blue|2,
Oil derricks are rather expensive so if you could build oil fields instead that would help keep your costs and investment down. You also have to look over your industries and try to make them more efficient not only by jacking up industry efficiency investment but by scrapping small facilities. One player says that any facility under 10% in size/condition is very inefficient. I have found that it is better to start taking out the really rinky-dink facilities while upgrading other facilities. You want to have less but bigger facilities for each industry and then you can really make the dough! :D
Thanks,

Eric Larsen

Return to “Economics - Treasury Department”