Help with production

Discussion of the Economic Model in SR2010

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

MGS
Corporal

Help with production

Post by MGS »

I'm playing north america inthe world scenario and my economy always goes down really fast. The import costs for industrial goods or commerical goods is just killing me. I lose 1000 M dollars a year in trade. And the factories takes 80 days to build where long before that I already went bankrupt. And even then I often can't satisfy the domestic demands. What can be done here? For all scenarios I find the build time to be too long. If a factory takes 80 days to build and lack of supply will cost 1 percentage point drop in approval rate per day or millions of dollars of import cost per day then you can't really survive to when the factories are complete.
BigStone
General

Post by BigStone »

You can put some engineers on the building spot.....
It will decrease your buildingtime.

And have a look if it is maybe possible to -upgrade- your industry.
NO MORE NOISY FISH [unless they are green & furiously]
I HAVE STILL A FISH IN MY EAR
Il Duce
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Il Duce »

Things to consider -

1) Each regions/scenario presents specific problems in policy and resources: study your situation and devise a policy plan - change it as necessary and be flexible.

2) In some cases you have to balance increasing/upgrading/recycling industrial base with stragtegically decreasing demand - Demand can be controlled with the markup and efficiency sliders, and also with your immigration policy. Try some test cases - there are regions which will have an infinite sink capability for agriculture, water and electricity. Use your economic controls to choke this off or you will be building forever.

3) Keep precursor/raw material inputs in mind as you are scheduling your rebuilds. For instance, there's no point in building a consumer goods facility if you don't have the manufacturing, cooal, oil and electricity to feed it. This is a great place to jack up the consumer markup to throttle demand while you build up electricity. But be sure to have social policy compensation for the high price of consumer goods with reasonable prices for food, water, power and fuel.

4) Also keep in mind that price and tax mechanisms have other impacts - you can stabilize your DAR with these, but they also have an impact on immigration (that is high prices and low taxes will keep DAR up, but will discourage immigration - but you also need to have some controls in interior to achieve this as well).

5) If you are relying on minsters to handle this - don't. As far as I'm concerned the only minister you can actually use is treasury - set the policy to contol inflation, and keep an eye on it. You can also delegate interior, once you get it stable - typically at 98-102% of recommended values. Some populations are fussy about specific aspects of the interior policy - like they want family subsidies but don't care about ecology - this takes a bit of testing, but you need to know hwat you can safely tweak in a crisis.

Try a few replay tests of the same region and it will become clearer. It takes time - but after a while you'll get to know what works in a given region within the first three game-months.
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously [but otherwise, they do not worry and are happy].
Eric Larsen
Colonel

Easy Street

Post by Eric Larsen »

MGS wrote:I'm playing north america inthe world scenario and my economy always goes down really fast. The import costs for industrial goods or commerical goods is just killing me. I lose 1000 M dollars a year in trade. And the factories takes 80 days to build where long before that I already went bankrupt. And even then I often can't satisfy the domestic demands. What can be done here?
MGS,
North America in the World scenario is playing on easy street. Start over for one thing. First thing is turn off all your military goods facilities and scrap all of them under 100%. Scrap a lot of old military units as you don't want to be in such a hurry. Don't bother to build anything but some more engineers. Now make sure to drop military spending after dropping the alert level to zero. Also turn off uneeded production facilties like food and just produce to demand so you save money on maintenance and production costs. If you're not selling your excess then turn it off.

You'll need to upgrade your consumer goods facilities, several at a time and use groups of 6 engineers to expedite the upgrade time. Much cheaper to upgrade existing facilities than to build new ones. Also start making oil derricks and oil fields and get the synthetic fuel plants as soon as possible, like the very first thing you research. Only R&D one thing at a time and skip the unit designs so you can concentrate on economic and research boosters.

Oil is the key ingredient so you need to build lots of other power facilties to start and scrap the oil power production. Upgrade your hydro and nuclear power plants. Get those conservation techs to cut down your demand. Also jack up your domestic markup to ensure you don't need so many units of consumer goods or petrol. What you don't use you can sell of the oil, the consumer goods don't sell very well. You can be real mean and bankrupt the AI's with super high oil prices but they won't provide much competition. I find that by giving the AI's the good economic techs they won't research actually pumps up their economies and makes them better customers. Try not to bankrupt them so they'll last over the long haul.

I like to train up my units so I need fewer units to fight and conquer regions. South America is a great first conquest as it's rather good at making money and you can actually make money conquering them. Not so true with the other regions.

Prioritize what you want to do. You can't research to the hilt plus have low prices and taxes and build a huge army all at once. Work your economy first and then fold in the rest. Putting lots of money into researching techs that make your infrastructure better and other things will really boost your economy. Also make sure to heavily invest in infrastructure as that helps your economy and when at war the flow of supply. Keep your inflation low, under 3%, in the beginning or you'll regret the high inflation in a few years of game play. Fusion power is awesome so concentrate on other power until you can get fusion power and then fusion power up and look for the cold fusion upgrade. Also make sure to give the AI's small daily bribes to keep them from going ballistic and declaring war on you before you want them to. Hope this helps you some.
Thanks,

Eric Larsen

Return to “Economics - Treasury Department”