Weapon Ranges and Hexes

Discuss examining Terain, Cities, Industries, Bases, Units and Hex Development here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

magogian
Lieutenant

Weapon Ranges and Hexes

Post by magogian »

I wasn't exactly sure which section to put this in, but I hope this works.

I was wondering about the interplay between hexes and the distances they represent and the range values for different systems especially artillery units.

Here is my question. Lets say the scenerio assigns hexes as representing 25 km. Okay, I have an artillery unit that can shoot for 74 km (the longest range within two hexes without being able to hit a 3rd). However, the enemy has an artillery piece that can shoot 51 km. Both units can only shoot two hexes out. So, even though I have a rather significant range advantage am I not able to take advantage of it? Or rather, am I not able to shoot him without him be able to hit me back?

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but I didn't see it anywhere offhand.

If it is the case, that as long as two units can shoot the same number hexes any range differences within this are irrelevant, then let me posit this proposition. If a unit can just barely reach a hex based on its range attack, reduce its firepower (when shooting at that hex) by the percent of the distance in the hex that it isn't able to hit (if the game wasn't hex based). For example, if the hexes have 10 km in them and the artillery piece can only shoot 21km, then the artillery unit would only shoot with 10 percent effectiveness into the third hex, but would retain full effectiveness in the first two hexes (in regards to distance).
George Geczy
General

Post by George Geczy »

Certainly the major factor in firing distances is the number of hexes that the total range will reach; we don't use data such as 'which side of the hex the unit is on' since such additional info would really make the military gameplay much more complex.

However, for units that fire beyond one hex in range (artillery, AA, etc), a difference of total range when still hitting the same # of hexes does make a difference, although not a big one. A unit's damage strength falls with range of the target - for example, an artillery with a total range of 4 hexes will do more damage at 2 hexes out than 3, or 3 hexes out than 4. This accounts for greater targetting errors at longer ranges, effects of equipment, weather, spotting, etc.

A Unit with a range 50km (4 hexes) versus a unit with a range of 45km (4 hexes) will, all else being equal, have a greater damage value at the 4 hex distance. Not a huge difference, but there will be a benefit.

-- George.
magogian
Lieutenant

Post by magogian »

George Geczy wrote:Certainly the major factor in firing distances is the number of hexes that the total range will reach; we don't use data such as 'which side of the hex the unit is on' since such additional info would really make the military gameplay much more complex.

However, for units that fire beyond one hex in range (artillery, AA, etc), a difference of total range when still hitting the same # of hexes does make a difference, although not a big one. A unit's damage strength falls with range of the target - for example, an artillery with a total range of 4 hexes will do more damage at 2 hexes out than 3, or 3 hexes out than 4. This accounts for greater targetting errors at longer ranges, effects of equipment, weather, spotting, etc.

A Unit with a range 50km (4 hexes) versus a unit with a range of 45km (4 hexes) will, all else being equal, have a greater damage value at the 4 hex distance. Not a huge difference, but there will be a benefit.

-- George.

Ahh, okay. THanks a bunch. I was wondering how it worked out.
szabfer
Captain

Post by szabfer »

By the way... which artillery unit has the longest range in the game (no missile). Iám just starting the world scenario in my campaign and want to get that unit :)
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Not sure exactly which one is the highest offhand, but the astros 80(?)(S.A. ,africa)and the Smerchs (sp)(eastern block) are among the highest.
I think theres also a chinese one that would also be in the top end of range,but cant think what its called.

They are mlrs.

None mlrs is i think the templar and excalibur (U.S) is among the highest range.

Alot of new units were added 2 patches back though, so this may have changed.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
szabfer
Captain

Post by szabfer »

Thanks, I will check the MLRS launchers... I thougth they are missile launchers, but it seems I was wrong...
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Hehehehe, they are.
But they can launch two different types of missiles.

The first type of missile is considered simply part of the units attack rating.

The second type of missile is considered a seperate type of unit that has to be built and than loaded onto the firing platform

Some mlrs in the game can use both types,some only one type or the other.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
BigStone
General

Post by BigStone »

And don't forget to research V-Lap and ERFB techs...
giving you a 20% - 40% artrange advantage... !!!
NO MORE NOISY FISH [unless they are green & furiously]
I HAVE STILL A FISH IN MY EAR
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

BigStone wrote:And don't forget to research V-Lap and ERFB techs...
giving you a 20% - 40% artrange advantage... !!!
That's only for ballistic artillery. For MLRS units you want GMLRS and ER-MLRS techs.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Land and Terrain”