Un-settled Island Supply

Discuss examining Terain, Cities, Industries, Bases, Units and Hex Development here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

BigStone
General

Post by BigStone »

Thats funny... i had yesterday the same issue.
I invaded a enemy island far away from home and to my supprise
my engineers were able to build a mil base....
But then i remembered i had capped a enemy city in that area.
So maybe its a case of -city supply- .... ???
NO MORE NOISY FISH [unless they are green & furiously]
I HAVE STILL A FISH IN MY EAR
felinis
Lt. Colonel

Post by felinis »

OK - here is how to invade an un-inhabited island.

1. Land an engineer
2. Build a sea pier and/or landing strip.
3. Build roads.
4. When the pier is finished, the nearby coast will be supplied.
5. When the landing strip is finished, the local hexes will be supplied enough to build other facilities like supply depots and bases.

This is not as easy as it sounds:

1. The standard Engineer is amphibious, but not airborne. There is another Uber-Engineer that CAN be air-dropped. To get an Engineer onto the island you must land him from a ship that carries landing craft. A supply ship will transport him, but will not land him.

(NOTE: Ever wonder where the landing craft were in the game? They are the amphibious units of all kinds - there is no "landing craft")

Alternately, you can divide the Engineer batallion into two, lighter squads, each of which is light enough to be heloed by a Chinnok or other heavy-lift helicopter.

You must land them at the spot that you want him to build, because he will quickly run out of gas. He will also try to run away to the nearest source of supply, so you have to catch him and order him to "Construct" or "Entrench". they will be OK if they do not move around. (I landed one in Hawaii on the island of Oahu. He un-loaded from the transport onto the island's center hex, and immediately ran onto the un-completed pier and drowned.)

2. An engineer cannot initiate a facility - he can only finish one that you and the game initiate. In this case, if you land him at the water's edge and stop him, you will discover that you can initiate the construction of a sea pier or an air-strip. On each of the confirmation dialog-boxes, there is a message in red letters stating that you MUST have an engineer to do this.

Helo-landing supplies on the Engineer's hex or pulling supply ships up to the shore do not help - you cannot build supply-depots, bases or anything besides sea piers and airstrips at this stage.

3. You CAN and should initiate roads. The roads in hexes surrounding the Engineer will construct - other parts will not finish until your sphere of supply expands.

4. Once your sea pier is completed, your immediate coast will be supplied.
Once your landing strip is completed, you can start building other facilities in the area.

Return to “Land and Terrain”