Synthetic Lumber?

Imports, Exports, Taxes & Social Spending... discuss these topics here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

Trifler
Lieutenant

Synthetic Lumber?

Post by Trifler »

Since there seems to be a synthetic version of everything else, I was wondering if there is a synthetic wood plant at some point since I haven't seen one. We have plastic lumber today so I figured it would be in there. If not I might suggest adding one at some point, although Timber doesn't seem to be a major problem (I find that odd since Timber shortage is an ever-growing problem in the world today). Anyways nothing major I just thought I'd mention it.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Re: Synthetic Lumber?

Post by Balthagor »

Wouldn't this be a form of "consumer good"? Only population consumes timber. There could be a technology added that would reduce timber demand and increase CG demand I suppose...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Trifler
Lieutenant

Post by Trifler »

I was thinking of a Synthetic Lumber plant that could be built anywhere for countries that didn't have much in the way of Timber resources, just as there are Synthetic Oil plants, Hydroponics for food, Composite Ores, etc. in the game already.
sirveri
Colonel

Post by sirveri »

Last I checked Timber was cheap on the WM. Just trade for it. Though a Steel replacement already exists and is commonly used today, mainly for office building construction. It tends to be cheaper.
- Dave
---------------------
Will mod for food!
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Trifler wrote:I was thinking of a Synthetic Lumber plant that could be built anywhere for countries that didn't have much in the way of Timber resources, just as there are Synthetic Oil plants, Hydroponics for food, Composite Ores, etc. in the game already.
But that's the thing, when you make a Synthetic lumber, it's not really lumber, it's an alternate construction material. You can't really synthesize "lumber". Like when you got the platics/vinyl stuff to use on your deck, that is a "consumer good". It does not have all the properties of Lumber (doesn't burn).
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Trifler
Lieutenant

Post by Trifler »

Oh you're using it as a fuel in your model? I figured it was primarily used as a construction material.
samlauncher
Private

Post by samlauncher »

hey frndz m looking for the best Synthetic Fibres manufacture companies plz help…
Cutlass
Major

Post by Cutlass »

Perhaps it should be pointed out that almost all paper these days is made from wood pulp, and thus constitutes a significant use of "timber" resources. While I suppose it is possible that plastics could be substituted for some things we use paper for, I personally don't think I'd want to deal with plastic toilet paper. :D
Proud member of the Spherical World Association. An organization dedicated to encouraging game designers to create state of the art strategy games in which the actual shape of the world is used.
georgios
Brigadier Gen.

Post by georgios »

Timber is a useless product in SR2020. It takes a very small portion of whole trade. It could not exist at all. It can be modded however to be needed in the construction of industry goods (and be a real building material) or consumer goods to include paper and furniture.

Consumer goods (in the game) are made absolutely from ore and plastic. Perhaps the game speaks about consumer machine goods and appliances, not paper, clothes and furniture.

Return to “Production & Economy - 2020”