At what point will a country completely crash due to debt?

Imports, Exports, Taxes & Social Spending... discuss these topics here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

Wilson
Sergeant
Human: Yes

At what point will a country completely crash due to debt?

Post by Wilson »

In my game, the USA's Treasury sits at -100bn and debt of 7tn! Its GDP is still high at 40K.

What are the consequences of having such a poor fiscal state? I try to avoid debt like a hawk, so haven't really experienced it, and looking up the supremewiki hasn't given me any answers to this, either.

1) What does that mean for the USA?
2) When will the USA capitulate and have to sell everything it owns? Does that even happen?
3) Would a war with the USA be easy, given that technically he shouldn't be able to even pay his troops?!

Thanks
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Re: At what point will a country completely crash due to deb

Post by GIJoe597 »

1. Nothing really

2. Never/no

3. Nope, they will still fight as normal and they will keep churning out units regardless of treasury.

*these are what I have noticed in game, with games lasting anywhere from 20 to 70 years. Countries just keep on keeping on.

Again the AI is made in SR2020 to make it difficult/tedious for you the human player to take over the world/regions.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

Asuming we are talking about AI US here.

1). Does not mean a whole lot. An AI country will almost never come out of this debt situation. As long as it maintains a good UN standing it will continue to recieve UN aid. Generaly keeping it from complete colapse.

2). Never. An AI country will generaly maintain status qoue when it hits rock bottom. It will recieve aid to prevent its complete collapse. It will lower its production costs to keep costs down. it will lower funding to keep costs down, it will lower military funding to keep costs down, and maintian a high (low readiness) defcon. However becouse of the steps it takes to prevent collapse it will not crawl out of this situation.

3). Yes it will be easier then a fully funded US. And if its at the lower end of its economic situation a few interesting things will happen. A) if it cannot produce or buy oil, allot of its units will not be able to move around and thus have no fuel supply to counter your attack. B) Its military goods production will also be lower then needed so it will not have the military goods to keep its units in fully supply. C) Its transportation funding will be low meaning its supply percentages per hex will be low. This means the supplies it does have to give to its units will go at a slower rate. D) with low supply stock and levels and no cash, units that are in reserve will not repair. E) Its defcon rating will be 4 instead of 1, making it not as combat effective. F) Its military salaries and rediness funding will be low if much at all meaning unit effeniency will be very low.

with all the above combined an attack on the US will cause it to loose units and territory very quickly, You would be in a higher chance of it surrendering to you.

There have been attempts in the past to cause countries to have a complete collapse. The tests have show it is not possible and countries can hang on threw the tiniest of threads.
Wilson
Sergeant

Post by Wilson »

Thanks for replies.

I think however, with future updates, more should be done in the way to penalise countries, be them AI or not, for getting into such debt.

And also to make countries more aggressive. Whilst it would piss me off, it would be very interesting to be off conquering far away lands only to have another country land an invasion force on your shores..
WuOne
Captain

Post by WuOne »

In my last game USA got -8 trillion in debs and -1.5 in treasury, than more you loan, than bigger interest you get and less money you can loan at once, so USA got in bankrupt, them production is almost on 0 and they cant import anything. Units almost didnt move since they didnt have military goods, and no buildings was ever rebuilded sinse they didnt have industry goods and money, so it got boring to fight them and I bought SRCW :)

Return to “Production & Economy - 2020”