Economic crisis HELP!

Imports, Exports, Taxes & Social Spending... discuss these topics here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

captain_josh
Corporal
Human: Yes

Economic crisis HELP!

Post by captain_josh »

I'm playing a SR 2020 game multiplayer where the host has set difficulty of Economy to very Hard, and I'm USA, players are Japan,UK, and Germany, Since me and Japan are in cold war and as usual I have been spending 2T dollars annually in to research, but i'm also self sufficient and got about 200 missile production facilities. Problem is i'm stuck in a deficit ranging between 2T and 5T, and i'm pretty sure i'm doing something wrong. Anyways here is link to save.

http://www.mediafire.com/?l42hcv8s94w99mb

However you must start save as USA since this is a save from UK but still the same game. Please please help me!
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Re: Economic crisis HELP!

Post by GIJoe597 »

Looks to me you are just spending too much money, no trick or conflict. Stop spending so much.

70 research centers
73 Land fabs
52 AF fabs
63 navy
200 missile

And a 2 trillion debt with interest.

Just those items are 8 trillion, research alone is 6.2 trillion.

A few cost cutting measures, as the USA, first thing every game, scrap all the petrol plants. Plant many more unranium mines, change over to Nuclear for electricty. Short term, fill needs with coal plants.

I played a few weeks and now you have a surplus of 4426m.

I deleted all Petro plants.
Changed taxes around, overall greatly lowering them.
Set all social services to recomended.
Closed 30 land fabs
Closed 52 research centers
Scrapped all production facilities that were not teh large size.

You can build up, but you need to do it slower, you are trying to do everything at once.

Do not try to do so much so early with such a small treasury. :(
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
captain_josh
Corporal

Post by captain_josh »

GIJoe597 wrote:Looks to me you are just spending too much money, no trick or conflict. Stop spending so much.

70 research centers
73 Land fabs
52 AF fabs
63 navy
200 missile

A few cost cutting measures, as the USA, first thing every game, scrap all the petrol plants. Plant many more unranium mines, change over to Nuclear for electricty. Short term, fill needs with coal plants.

Closed 30 land fabs

You can build up, but you need to do it slower, you are trying to do everything at once.

Well thing is this is multiplayer and me and Japan are in a hard cold war that each one of us are sinking our selfs in to trillions in to debt while at same time trying to stay at top. But there are things i can never close and things i can like land fabs or any military fab except research which i cant. But i might try closing mild or small factories and as for scraping all petrol i might check it out.
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Post by Ruges »

So you have 3 options.

1) Do as GI Joe says
2) continue what you are doing
3) take the cold war hot.

Option 1 means you might loose the cold war, but with your population advantage over Japan and your current economy you should be ok. Also you have a larger military right now so you will not have a problem defending yourself should the war go hot. Also he will have to move his units off his small coast line, perfect oportunity to sink them with your navy before they even pose a threat to your shore. Just keep your recon planes flying along his coastline spoting where he is building up and watch for transports geting loaded.

Options 2 means you will loose the cold war. You will loose it the same way Russia lost it.

With option 3 you can use your much larger military to do a first strike that will hopefully cripple japan before they have a chance to react from geting attacked on so many fronts. Japan does not have much territory and has many choke points. Land your defensive troops in defensive positions cutting off his attacks from you capturing his territory. You should be able to capture half of japan in the first 3 days, That basicaly chops his economy right in half.
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

Is Germany and China human or AI controlled?
Japan has a larger debt than you, so he/she/it should be paying more in interest.

Get the US economy booming and target specific research and military goals. Do you need multiple types of airframes with overlapping roles? Look at what you have now and near term as far as techs and units are concerned, pick one in each branch that will dominate. Example, the FB-22 is an extremely useful Fighter Bomber. It has outstanding range, stealth and excellent ground attack values. By looking at you your Air builds I would guess you are letting the ai control this. That is a mistake. The ai will produce a hodgepodge of different airframes, with no thought to a tactical or strategic plan.

Each person has to adapt their play to what they feel comfortable with, but there are certain truths that are universal.

1. Japan is an island and there are 5000 miles of ocean between you and it.

2. In order to seriously threaten the US they will need to move a huge amount of troops across water.

3. Naval units are very vulnerable to missile and submarine attack.

I suggest.

You start the game with enough subs to effective strangle Japans shipping, use this to your advantage. Place a defensive line of subs off your coast with overlapping spotting. Move subs around the east coast of Japan as "pickets/spotters" set to cautious and stealth approach.

Concentrate on dominating the air first, once you control the skies you can dictate ground movement. I would build only the F-22D raptor until I felt confident I can gain air superiority. Then I would switch to the FB-22, again only producing enough to be fairly certain you can stop any attack or at the very least delay it for your ground forces to arrive and dominate.

Review your current available ground units, decide which one would lend the most bang for the buck, if you will. Then mass produce just that one unit till you have an appropriate force to defend/gain local dominance with.

These suggestions are all geared to provide a solid defense for your country. Once you are certain you can defend your home, then you can concentrate on force projection and taking the fight to any potential adversary.

Bottom line - Focus Focus Focus

Edit: There are a few ideas you could get by looking at Japan. I mean looking at them on the map not loading and seeing thier builds/strategy. Just scroll over to them and look at what they have built, this gives you an idea of what he/she/it is most concerned about. Without getting into too much detail I can see some glaring holes in the build strategy.

captain_josh
Corporal

Post by captain_josh »

This might go off topic but what about in the case of a Japanis Nuclear attack from subs. What should i do? Since he got missiles with range of 4000km, and I need more naval tip since i never fought naval warfare in SR 2020 and I need more tips on how to manage production. Thx
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

I guess it depends on what settings were selected for nuclear weapons. Do you know? On some settings launching a Nuclear weapon is more harmful to the country using them than the country attacked.

Long term plan is to research Missile Defense and get those Sats up there. Short term I would suggest not clustering facilities so that a single strike can not cripple you. Just keep in mind the USA is large enough to absorb many Nuclear strikes and still function if your production is spread out.

In addition always keep in mind the concept of MAD, Mutually Assured Destruction. If you have enough assets to cripple them they should think twice before launching on you. Japan is a small country, area wise, with very high density concentrations. Land area wise it is smaller than California. One nuke hit there would hurt them much more than one anywhere in the US. I do notice they have eastern Siberia in your game which allows them to spread out, but equally you have the former Mexico to use. Keep in mind military fabs suffer no loyalty penalties, only the resource producing plants do.

When you get the chance you may want to invest in some long range missiles like the AGM-129 and some B-3 Angels.

In your zeal to militarize, do not overlook all the techs that directly or indirectly increase your economy/production/military values. Sometimes a 10% increase to stealth rating is better than researching and producing an entire line of new units.

captain_josh
Corporal

Post by captain_josh »

GIJoe597 wrote:I guess it depends on what settings were selected for nuclear weapons. Do you know? On some settings launching a Nuclear weapon is more harmful to the country using them than the country attacked.

Long term plan is to research Missile Defense and get those Sats up there. Short term I would suggest not clustering facilities so that a single strike can not cripple you. Just keep in mind the USA is large enough to absorb many Nuclear strikes and still function if your production is spread out.

In addition always keep in mind the concept of MAD, Mutually Assured Destruction. If you have enough assets to cripple them they should think twice before launching on you. Japan is a small country, area wise, with very high density concentrations. Land area wise it is smaller than California. One nuke hit there would hurt them much more than one anywhere in the US. I do notice they have eastern Siberia in your game which allows them to spread out, but equally you have the former Mexico to use. Keep in mind military fabs suffer no loyalty penalties, only the resource producing plants do.

When you get the chance you may want to invest in some long range missiles like the AGM-129 and some B-3 Angels.

In your zeal to militarize, do not overlook all the techs that directly or indirectly increase your economy/production/military values. Sometimes a 10% increase to stealth rating is better than researching and producing an entire line of new units.

But what about economy cause the only real issue is economy and if my economy was prosperous I would have the edge over Japan. What should I do with my production or how should I manage it like when to do automated sales, price, demands vs capacity..etc
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

captain_josh wrote: But what about economy cause the only real issue is economy and if my economy was prosperous I would have the edge over Japan. What should I do with my production or how should I manage it like when to do automated sales, price, demands vs capacity..etc

GIJoe597 wrote:Looks to me you are just spending too much money, no trick or conflict. Stop spending so much.

70 research centers
73 Land fabs
52 AF fabs
63 navy
200 missile

Closed 30 land fabs

All of these things are economy related, its costs money to build these units. Strategy is economy related, you make your strategy on what you can do, not what you wish you could do.

Automated sales prices etc is largely irrelavent with such a huge economy as the USA has. I would leave that portion to the AI. You can get down to the nitty gritty and search for threads talking about closing off production if it is cheaper on the world market and such things. There are also "gamey tricks" to stay in the black, such as the infamous selling techs, but as stated above, do not spend more than you make. Your income is finite you cannot spend an infinite amount of money.

Ruges mentioned the cold war Soviets a few posts back, it was an excellent analogy. They also tried to spend more than they had, do too many things with limited resources. See https://www.cia.gov/library/center-for- ... html#rtoc5
Last edited by GIJoe597 on Oct 28 2012, edited 1 time in total.

number47
General

Post by number47 »

GIJoe, you missed an "s" in "https" ....correct link: https://www.cia.gov/library/center-for- ... html#rtoc5
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Return to “Production & Economy - 2020”