Questions about stuff (Research, inflation, internal economy

Imports, Exports, Taxes & Social Spending... discuss these topics here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

Bobchuck
Corporal
Human: Yes

Questions about stuff (Research, inflation, internal economy

Post by Bobchuck »

OK, so I am playing a game with my friend and I am trying to get some edges on him. But to do so, I need to do get answers to these questions.

First, facts about my country:
India
3 billion people
tech lvl 120
gdp between 5000 - 6000, closer to 6000
inflation: 9.5
unemployment: 3.4

Alright, the first question is about research efficiency (mine is currently 111%). I have seen many threads about it, but I have had no luck increasing my efficiency. At one point I had up 50 some centers, and my efficiency was going down. I shut about 10 down because it was getting very expensive. What is weird was when I was at war with Sri Lanka, my efficiency was going up, but when the war ended, it went down. It was up to as high as 126% during that conflict. My efficiency was also at the highest I ever got it to, at 136%, when I was fighting China. So, does efficiency dependent on war time or defcon level at all? And are there any other ways to increase efficiency? (I already have 100% education spending and my research sliders are at max) We are neck and neck in research. The only way I would have hope is if I can get a good lead on him in research efficiency.

Next is about inflation. I understand how to manipulate it, up or down, and that it increases costs when it is high. Maybe that is unemployment (when low) but they are closely tied, so the ultimate question about it will still hold. If the costs of things increases, I can have my people pay more for it and they will also make more, so they won't complain. So wouldn't an increased cost help me? What I mean by this is if I cut off trade with the world and only do business internally, wouldn't I make more money with increased costs? example: If electricity is $200, and I have a 100% markup, I would gross $200 per unit. If the cost increases to $220, then I make $220 per unit. Isn't this better or is there more to it? (I haven't actually gotten far enough where I can test this for long periods of time)

On the subject of trading to my people, are there ways to strengthen my internal economy? As we each take more of the world, it will become harder to trade. I would like to be ready for the day when it is very hard to do so. What I actually mean by this question is is there a good and reliable way to increase domestic profit? Obviously I can cut social spending, but that will hurt me in the long run, and with such a huge population, a drop of even $100 in gdp can hurt.

Finally, I need a reliable way to increase gdp. I can drop my taxes a little bit, but I am currently dependent on trade so I don't want my unemployment to go down. I don't want to have to spend more on social spending then I need to. Also, what is the range for gdp increases that will not increase inflation?

Well, that wasn't the final thing, but I promise this is. What do each of the social spending things do? I already know what healthcare, education, infrastructure and the social spending one. So, what do the others do? Are they worth putting money into other than to keep domestic approval up? And how much money should I put into the aforementioned ones?

I am open to all suggestions.
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Re: Questions about stuff (Research, inflation, internal eco

Post by GIJoe597 »

I have been looking at this every time I log on and I so want to be able to post something intelligent here, but, I really just do not pay that much attention to this stuff, as long as I can build what I want when I want it, is all I care about :)

I honestly do not know about what affects research, but Mr. Geczy may have understood that some of mankind’s greatest leaps in Science and Research were because of war and the prospect of war., so who knows...

Domestic markups and stopping world trade. I am not sure that would be as advantageous and you think, something lurking in the back of my mind about that $220 profit is only on the resources/wages/product itself. Once you add in paying for ongoing research, unit production, entitlements, are you still at $220 profit?

Why do you "need" to increase your GPD/c? I have found that having a low GDP/c enables India to crush other countries and keep costs very low. If your people are willing to work for 2 dollars a day, why would you want them to get used to working for 5 dollars a day? As your GDP/c rises they will demand more pay to continue to lead a higher standard of living. Currently they are happy to live in squalor and do anything you ask of them. :) Yes, you will get a revenue increase from the additional taxes, but will it be offset by the increase in wages/costs? Not to mention once they have a higher standard of living, you are going to need to invest in more social spending because now that Adesh is moving on up, to the sky, to get a piece, oh, anyway now he wants to take little Tufan and wife Dilber to a zoo or a park. He is not going to want to take them to a disease infested cesspool, but a modern or semi modern facility that befits his new current "class".

How bout... If you cannot out tech him, just switch your entire economy over to producing the "best" units you have Land/Air/Naval and swamp him, while he is trying chasing tech and spending all that time and money on it. You have to figure if the two of you are so evenly matched, that he is having the same issues as you.

And I feel physically Ill by typing this but in your situation Vladimir may be correct, "Quantity has a quality all its own."

Maybe my rambling with allow you to think of something else you have not noticed yet.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
Bobchuck
Corporal

Re: Questions about stuff (Research, inflation, internal eco

Post by Bobchuck »

That is what I thought (about war affecting tech). I will have to see if I can stay at war for extended periods of time...

I do understand that participating in world trade can be beneficial, and I do plan on doing some trading, but the real problem was getting my internal economy strong. What I mean by this is that I would like to be able to make more money from my people then I am spending. The world trade would be the cherry on top. I would think there would be a way to do this without having to cut much spending. I do not want to have to decrease spending to the point where GDP/c decreases (I will get into what I think about gdp later). At the very least, I would like a plateau of my GDP/c. I do not remember where I read this, but someone mentioned setting production of resources to JUST below demand. (This idea sounded to me that it was supposed to increase internal economy. Maybe I misunderstood it) I could not figure out what or why this would work. Is there anything to this?

The point of the strong internal economy is that when the point where the rich countries are gone, world trade will not be a reliable source of income. I will be forced to rely on my own economy to pull be through (as I will state later, this will be a longer game).

About GDP/c. I understand that as it increases, my costs for spending will increase, but doesn't it get cancelled out by the increased profit? (I believe that costs are linearly related to gdp, though I could be wrong) If not, then wouldn't there be a "sweet spot" for gdp where the costs are the least, leaving you more extra money. The thing with me wanting the high gdp/c is that it increases my overall income. With a large income, lets say $50 billion/day, will leave me more room for building, research, etc. than $10 billion/day will leave me. I could increase taxes to get a quick boost in revenue and this boost will be more significant with the former than the latter.

I didn't really make this clear, but this is more or less a secretive build up. We are supposed to be "together", but I, and maybe he does as well, see a battle happening between us. This will be a longer game, and if I start a build up now, by the time I am ready to strike, he will be far more advanced.

If I can't find a way to do these things, I may take your advice. I may keep gdp the same, and start a heavier construction of units. I really don't want to let him get too far ahead of me in tech, but maybe I can cut a little bit from it. I may add in new units as they become available.

Return to “Production & Economy - 2020”