Transporting Units in SR2020

Place any military topics in this forum. How long can you run your country peacefully?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Transporting Units in SR2020

Post by Balthagor »

It is possible to use transport units in the game through a number of methods. There are however some restrictions;

Naval carriers can only transport air units if these are able to land on a carrier deck. Naval transports that are short decked can transport only short deck aircraft, long deck carriers can carry either. Long deck aircraft can only land on long deck carriers. Units with these capabilities will have a symbol showing in their unit specialties to reflect the ability

Land or air carriers can carry any land unit that weighs less than their cargo capacity. Carriers will always fill their remaining space with supplies. Supplies are pushed out when units load. A unit's cargo capacity can be seen in the tooltip of a selected/deployed unit. A unit's weight is also shown in the tooltip. The weight of a unit is

[Weight of an each individual piece multiplied by its strength]
added to
[Ammo weight per piece multiplied by its strength]

To move a unit from point A to point B, select the unit, right click point B and chose a transport command. Units will either wait for an incoming VTOL cargo or move to the nearest Airport or Sea Port to join the cargo unit

Cargo units will pick up as many units as they can before continuing with the order [some bugs in this system]

Units can be loaded onto a carrier by selecting the cargo unit, right click the location with the carrier and chose “load into”

Carriers with cargo can be told to unload with a right click “unload” command at a desired destination
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Re: Transporting Units in SR2020

Post by Balthagor »

Changes for version 5.4.1

- Helicopters in the Transport class will now build to 24 pieces making the build time longer and cost greater but the default lift capacity becomes double.
- Units that are "in Cargo" now have an icon showing their status in the Unit Command department first panel list
- Transport Plane default behavior adjusted to try and use safer routes in some cases.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
The Mithar Empire
Lieutenant

Post by The Mithar Empire »

I am having some trouble getting my units to unload when I'm trying to invade an island (Cuba for example) is there specific things that are required to do that?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

if the destination is not a pier you need an amphibious ship.

if the destination is enemy controlled you need a combat ship to go in first.

That help?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
The Mithar Empire
Lieutenant

Post by The Mithar Empire »

Oh...*facepalm* why didn't I think of that...well that also explains the purpose of a sea pier...lol
BishopNL
Sergeant

Post by BishopNL »

Balthagor wrote: [Weight of an each individual piece multiplied by its strength]
added to
[Ammo weight per piece multiplied by its strength]
let me get this straight:
To transport my Saxon battalion, the total weight of this battalion:
626*54=33804 + (54*54) = 36720t ?

My L-14 Albion has a cargo space of 5000t.
That means 7 trips to deliver my battalion.
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

Weight of the whole battalion is 626 tons.

You should be able to fit several battalions into that ship.
If it fits, it ships. :wink:

Individual piece means 1 vehicle.

The only thing you couldnt carry on that ship is a unit that weighed over 5000 tons.
sirveri
Colonel

Post by sirveri »

Hundane wrote:Weight of the whole battalion is 626 tons.

You should be able to fit several battalions into that ship.
If it fits, it ships. :wink:

Individual piece means 1 vehicle.

The only thing you couldnt carry on that ship is a unit that weighed over 5000 tons.
To further add to this, the weight will change based on the strength of the unit. The default strength for that unit is 54, if you split the unit in half, then you'll have two units of 27 that each way half as much as the original. HOWEVER, the technical readout is for the base unit, and it will remain unchanged, in order to determine the actual strength you need to select the unit, then however over the name and it will display the actual strength. This is critical for starting units, because BG seems to like giving fractional units to various countries. So instead of having a squadron of 18 fighters they'll give you like nine or 12. Elite infantry with a strength of 54 will start with a strength of 35, etc...
- Dave
---------------------
Will mod for food!
stick2012
Private

Post by stick2012 »

But how do i transort units though/ whenever i use air ansport the unit goes to the nearest airport and just sits there and no planes come. :o :evil:
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

But how do i transort units though/ whenever i use air ansport the unit goes to the nearest airport and just sits there and no planes come.
More than likely the units you want to transport are too heavy to fit on any air transport you have deployed.

Another problem might be you have all your air transports locked out of minister control in their individual ROE's.
Screamer
Corporal

Post by Screamer »

I have a Problem with Air Transports. Every Unit that i want to transport via Air Transport Units dont work.

A Air-Landing Battallion Infantry doesnt use Hercules Systems, Russian System or Helicopters.

The Weight cant`t be the Problem.
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

Screamer wrote:I have a Problem with Air Transports. Every Unit that i want to transport via Air Transport Units dont work.

A Air-Landing Battallion Infantry doesnt use Hercules Systems, Russian System or Helicopters.

The Weight cant`t be the Problem.

It could be. If the unit loaded with supplies first, then it will be too heavy for a C-130. Build a larger transport (IL-76, C-141, C-5, C-17, et al) and see how that works.

Return to “Military - 2020”