GC ROE 101

Place any military topics in this forum. How long can you run your country peacefully?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

GC ROE 101

Post by Ruges »

Seems some are having problems comprehending ROE for the game so I figured I would do a little write up explaining the different types of settings you can do and what they do.

Below is a picture of the defense tab, in the defense condition sub tab. A threw E shows the different settings that can be done in the H, I and J buttons. A threw E basicaly represent what the AI can do with your units if he has control of them. (to have the AI control the units or not is the lock in picture 2 or 3 with the L button).

Below is a again a picture of the defense tab, But this time we are in the ROE sub tab. L shows if the AI should have control of your units or not. (with a light colored lock meaning No, and a greyed out open lock meaning Yes) M shows if the unit should attack opertunity units or not. Meaning Should it attack somthing it can attack when it is able, Or should it attack only the type of units you specify. (to specify which units it should attack and not attack will be the Y buttons in figure 3). N shows if the unit should be in stealth mode or active mode. If the unit has a higher steallth rating, It will make it harder for the enemy to spot the unit on the map, Making it possible to advance a unit without the enemy spoting it. It can even shoot at an enemy without the enemy being able to tell where it is geting shot from. However units will not capture land in stealth mode. 0 shows if the unit should Auto load missles according to its targets (with targets being the Y buttons in figure 3). And again all the above buttons are, if it is colored it is on, and if it is greyed out it is off. The P button. If you click this once all the settings in picture 2 will be applied to all your current and future units. (With the exception, If you have the Z button toggled in picture 3 the ROE will not be applied to that or those units). Q is the same as P except the ROE is ony applied to future units. R shows what speed your units should be traveling at (faster will use more fuel but move faster, and slower will conserve fuel but move slower). With the S button you can tell the unit what sort of path it should take to reach its destination. (hover your mouse of the button to get an explination on what type of paths it should take). The T button is the units war initiative. Dont confuse this with the initiative in picture 1. The T initiative basicaly tells if the unit should engage enimies, Or not engage them. Your pretty much going to want to keep this at high. Becouse at low you might find your units going up to an enemy and not shooting back. The U button shows if the unit should chase a unit down it has engaged, Or continue on its original orders. and the V button shows how much damage the unit should withstand before it wants to retreat. With lower being it will fall back sooner, and Higher meaning it might fight to the death.

Below is picture 3. This is the Unit command tab. When you have some units selected, the X button will appear. This is Individual ROE. From here you can set all of the stuff you could in picture 2. But on a more personal level of each unit. From here you can set the orders for single units, or a couple units or groups of units. Just like in picture 2 you can push what would be the L button to lock or unlock your minister from controling that specific unit. In this section we also have the Y buttons. These show what type of units the unit should engage. There are 6 types of targets in the game. Land, Air, Surface ship, Subs, Buildings, and Nukes. (with nukes not acualy being a target but a form of attack). If you look at the picture you will see the Land and Air are highlighted. This means the units I have selected will go after only Air and Land targets. Also in the picture you see the surface ship Icon is in between greyed out and colored. This means the unit is able to attack this type of unit, However I do not have it selected to attack this type of unit. You will also notice that the sub, Building and nuke icon are completly greyed out. This is becouse the units I have selected dont even have the ability to attack those types of units. Also a side note. The nuke Icon is always greyed out, even for units that can use nukes, Unless you have nuclear weapons authorized. That button is in the botton of picture one. And then we have the Z button. Which was explained in picture 2, When activated, if you want to change the global rules for all your units except a few, then this is the button you have selected.

Now there is a couple different settings that you should consider on how you will want your ROE set. How much control do you want the AI to have? How should your unit's move on the battle field? Are you going tobe using hotspots?

For me having complete control over all my units is the most important to me. My ministers folly when faced with war. ( I end up sounding like the return message you in Silent hunter 3 after you send in your report with more torpedo's left, "Be more aggresive".) So the settings I like to use are:
In picture 1, I have H, I and J set to Full.
Picture 2, I have my units locked from minister control, Attack only targets, accept autoload missles. Steath off (bad to have stealth on for all future units as garrisions will follow this role too). T, initiative set to high. Loss tollerance low, and persue targets.

This will give you full control over your units. They will do everything you will need them todo, and they will fight what ever they are supposed to fight when they are in range. Also when they get damaged to a point they will fall back one hex. The down side to having it set this way is you will not be able to use hotspots becouse of this. And generaly not being able to use auto transport (you will have to manulay load the units and move transport to destination to unload). However in a war zone I prefer this. It would just piss me off to have my AI path the transport past an enemy and get destroyed with my units inside.

Although even with the above settings you can still do some of the hotspoting and autotrasnporting via individual roles. A good examle of this is. I build 30 new Green berets in the US and I want them all in california. Now with my current ROE settings I would ether have to march them down there (would take for ever). Or manualy transport them (that just sucks with 30 units spread out all over the area). So Instead what I do is form a battle group of transports. I then move these transport's to the continental US. I set the Individual ROE (picture 3), To unlock for minister control. Now my AI can control these transports. I then select the 30 green berets and move to where I want them togo. I right click and select air transport. Now those units I just gave control to the AI, will go and pick up the green berets and fly them down to california where I want them.

Anouther example of this. I want to help Isreal keep its tanks supplied while driving threw the Iranian desert. However I dont want to have to continuosly comand the supply units. So I form a group of 30 transport planes. I move them over to an airport near the front lines for Isreal. I create several supply hotspots in area's that isreal keeps running out of supplies. I then goto the individual ROE for my group of transport planes. and unlock minister control. The AI will now take these planes and start flying sorties to those hotspots I have created. (although becouse hotspots work poorly, and becouse supply workds poorly, this method is not perfert and still requres a bit of monitoring and moving hotspots around.

And the same can be done with attack orders. You might find yourself in a situation where you want the AI to help you with a few units on the frontline. So you might create a few ground unit battle groups, Move them into the area of operation. Create the attack hotspots and give the AI control of those units. Once they complete the task remove the AI control. (you just need to move them into the area of operation).

I also like to give certian units certian individual ROE's. For instance I like to have my Arty, supply units, Air units, Carrier's, and Subs in stealth mode. I dont want these units shot at. Or maybe in an assult on a city, I might have the older units in stealth mode and the newer units active, that way the units with the higher defense take the brunt of the damage instead of my older weaker units. Somtimes I will have a battle group of missle subs that have high building damage missles onboard (trident 3's). I dont want the AI just shooting these things off, so I will lower its initiative and remove its unit role targets. That way I am the only one who shoots the missles off. I might set my fighter planes to only attack other planes so I can command air sup in the battle field.

There are a couple other ways of setting up your ROE settings, depending on how you play. I know toko likes to have the minister control all his units in picture 2, with button T at high and buttons, H, I, J at Low. that way hotspots work just fine, but the AI does not take your units and do with it as it pleases.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Re: GC ROE 101

Post by Balthagor »

Thanks Ruges! Haven't had time to update the old feature highlight post...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Zeitgeist
Corporal

Post by Zeitgeist »

Thanks for the guide. I am using the settings as you recommend but for whatever reason, I can't seem to get my air transports to work. I seem to have a success rate of about 10% in general-- the transports aren't even accepting the mission most of the time. Less frequently they load and then decide enroute that a supply mission should take precedence (this seems to happen when you have units already dropped somewhere who are out of supply). I am building the really big ones with ~2000 tons of cargo space which can hold the units that I am trying to drop, so I'm really at a loss here. There is also an airfield present. It's just pretty much hit or miss for me, so while I was able to invade both continental landmasses (sort of, invaded Labrador and built a whole bunch of fab factories up there to take the Americas since I was unable to ferry over more than a couple units), Cuba, Japan and the like remain essentially impregnable.
wright1331
Private

Post by wright1331 »

any chance you could get the pictures to show up again?
Ruges
General

Post by Ruges »

Yea sorry aparantly my bandwidth ran out for my site, Never had that problem before. I thought about switching it to my other site. But was too lazy todo so. It will be back up by Sunday reguardless.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Once it's up I'll probably Wikiize it...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Ruges
General

Post by Ruges »

pics back
VirginDream
Warrant Officer

Post by VirginDream »

Thanks for this tuto....Can I take this for the french forum?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I don't see why not...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
VirginDream
Warrant Officer

Post by VirginDream »

Author's rights?? :lol:
Ruges
General

Post by Ruges »

Yea you can
Nibelung
Lieutenant

Post by Nibelung »

A question about the 'lock this unit from minister usage' versus ' global unit initiative' (by that I mean the 3 buttons at the minister level, one for land, one for air, one for naval, indicating how the unit make initiative).

If the unit is prevent to be used by the minister, does it disables the 'global unit initiative' setting?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Yes.

if you want mixed human-AI control either turn off global initiative and increase the individual initiative of the units you want to act independently or leave global initiative on and lock the units you do not want to act independently.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Nibelung
Lieutenant

Post by Nibelung »

Thanks, crystal clear!
catatonic
General

Post by catatonic »

This excellent tutorial is on the Wiki here:

http://www.supremewiki.com/index.php/GC_ROE

I have edited it so it is a little easier to read.
"War is merely the continuation of politics [diplomacy] by other means"
General Carl von Clausewitz - 1832

"Defense: De ting dat keeps de cows off de road."
Catatonic - 2012

Return to “Military - 2020”