Poor mans mod

What is the world like in 2020? What are the different ways to play? How can I create my own futuristic scenario and country groupings?

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

Saarud
Lieutenant

Poor mans mod

Post by Saarud »

I like playing poor nations that has few and old combat equipments. Most of these poor nations have armies in real life consisting of very few vehicles and instead they have more leg infantries.

I will try to make a mod with more "leg" infantry. Yes most of these will be quite bad compared to newer units but in an Ethiopian-Eritrean war do you really expect to have a full front with newer units?

One other thing I will do is to speed up all the "leg" infantry or perhaps have more trucks. We'll see about that. I will also weaken garrisons... ALOT. Because against poor nations units Garrisons are brutal.

Anyhow I would love to get some suggestion on what leg infantries to include and also if you have an idea on what approx. combat stats they should have.
Nikola Serb
Captain
Human: Yes

Re: Poor mans mod

Post by Nikola Serb »

Sounds cool, anyway you should include the current "leg" units like conscripts, elite forces (every country has elite forces), airborne maybe, I don't know.
Dropped by invaders, BOMB RAID IN VAIN!
Vuk-Wolf
Colonel

Post by Vuk-Wolf »

Very nice i like the idea
Just when I discovered the meaning of life, they changed it.
Saarud
Lieutenant

Post by Saarud »

Well from what I understand Garrisons in SR 2020 are some sort of replacement for leg infantry. I will still keep garrisons as some kind of Militia but will remove almost all of their firepower, still as they take fire from enemy units instead of your regular units they have a role in city defence.

If I keep the approx. same size as other battalions each unit will be 700 man. For nations such as Eritrea and Ethiopia that keeps several 100.000s of men on the borders that will mean several 100s of new units for each of those nation. When looking at the whole world that will means 1000s of more units. This will probably slow down the game... ALOT. I understand kinda why the BattleGoats chosed to not have that many leg infantry and instead introduce garrisons. (It helps AI on defence as well ;) )

Anyway I've been looking at what units will be needed. Quality for infantry are so different and I want to portray this somehow. I probably make many unit types of the same unit... each representing different quality. You should be able to "resaerch" better types.

Airborne, Marines, Green Berets etc.:
The elite leg units from the standard game I keep. The only thing I'll do is to up their move speed to around 25 kph. While this might seem to fast I need to do this for gameplay reasons. It could represent different transportation ways (such as taking civilian cars/trucks or such.) They won't need fuel supplies.

Light Infantry:
Keep from standard game. It represent fast and light troops using Jeeps or other specialized transportation. Speed will be around 90 kph and will use fuel supplies.

Motorized Infantry:
Represants leg infantry that is transported by common army trucks assigned to these specific battalions. Speed of this will be around 50 kph and they need fuel supplies.

Leg Infantry:
Leg infantry with no trucks assigned to them. Speed will still be around 25 kph. They won't be needing fuel supplies.

Militias will be represented through garrisons.

Also as there right now exists AT and AD teams I might do mortar teams and other "small arms" support weapons.

Anyhow using land fabrication sites to produce these units feels immensely wrong. I would like to introduce a new building that should be attached to barracks and only be able to produce soft infantry units. I think this actually can be done (almost) as there is a buildclass bitmask in the files that can be changed. I can change that to only be able to build one class of units. If I change that to infantry only it would still be able to produce APCs. I'm not sure if this is a good idea but it's something I am going to try.

My only problem now is creating caches and stuff. I have to look closer at the instructions on how to do this. :)
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

I been playing a new way in my last game I started. Im Rp'ing a military dictator. I also play w/o garrisons for my region. I still wanted to have a "police force" presence so at the start of the game I bought the National Guard design from the U.S. Then built these units and placed them in my cities to simulate the "police force". On a side note, I also split several of these and named them my commanders to simulate my hierarchy.

I havent started a game using Ruges mod, he added in some "technicals" which will be added flavor and will probally use those as my "police force". You might try looking at his mod for some ideas to stea....errm borrow. :D

The AI doesnt seem to use "legged units". Ive seen a few special or elite units move out from the barracks but units like conscripts and legged AT and AD units seem to always stay around barracks unlessed pushed out from overstacking. Something along the "technicals" line would probally be used more by the AI regions in both defensive positions (AI moving these to border villages and such) and for offensive as well.
Anyhow using land fabrication sites to produce these units feels immensely wrong. I would like to introduce a new building that should be attached to barracks and only be able to produce soft infantry units. I think this actually can be done (almost) as there is a buildclass bitmask in the files that can be changed. I can change that to only be able to build one class of units. If I change that to infantry only it would still be able to produce APCs. I'm not sure if this is a good idea but it's something I am going to try.
I suggested the idea of using barracks to produce infantry units before, even if the building can only build infantry most of the regions that are poor will only be able to produce a few infantry types unless they research other designs. So Im thinking that your idea will work. You will probally have to change or add in thier starting unit types or allow them to have the ability to build a new unit design w/o the need for researching.

Anyways I hope you get this to work and then share it with the rest of us.
georgios
Brigadier Gen.

Post by georgios »

Saarud wrote:Anyhow using land fabrication sites to produce these units feels immensely wrong. I would like to introduce a new building that should be attached to barracks and only be able to produce soft infantry units. I think this actually can be done (almost) as there is a buildclass bitmask in the files that can be changed. I can change that to only be able to build one class of units. If I change that to infantry only it would still be able to produce APCs.
You can change the unit class of foot and motorized infantry, so APC's would become separate class.
DiegoEsteban
Lieutenant

Post by DiegoEsteban »

georgios wrote:
Saarud wrote:Anyhow using land fabrication sites to produce these units feels immensely wrong. I would like to introduce a new building that should be attached to barracks and only be able to produce soft infantry units. I think this actually can be done (almost) as there is a buildclass bitmask in the files that can be changed. I can change that to only be able to build one class of units. If I change that to infantry only it would still be able to produce APCs.
You can change the unit class of foot and motorized infantry, so APC's would become separate class.
But the IA would not handle it correctly.
georgios
Brigadier Gen.

Post by georgios »

You should edit the AIparams too.

Return to “Scenarios, Mods and More - 2020”