Map Errata (Toponymic or Position)

Get installation help, discuss issues, and submit bug reports in this section. Take a read through before posting... sometimes your problem may have already been discussed.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

Lea
Brigadier Gen.
Human: Yes

Re: Map Errata (Toponymic or Position)

Post by Lea »

Balthagor wrote:Kapustin Yar is a missile research site, not a launch pad
Only at the beginning. Later (from 1962) USSR launches satellites there. Up to 1988 Kapustin Yar was specialized on small satellites and rockets. Later launch pad was suspended but temporarily re-activated for satellite deployment in 1998-99 and 2006 years.
"By 1980, there had been 70 orbital launches, mostly small Kosmos science satellites but, as work was switched to Plesetsk, the annual launch rate fell to an average of only one; however, the activity has been increasing since 2006: a Kosmos-3M launched six US Orbcomm satellites in June 2006 and there are plans to launch 20 more Orbcomm satellites from the site.The last orbital launch to occur at Kapustin Yar was on 28 April 1999, from launch complex 107, when ABRIXAS, a German X-ray astronomy satellite, was launched aboard a Kosmos 3-M rocket" (Jane's

Spaceport at X:1625 Y:264 should be named Tanegashima. Another Japan space center Uchinoura too close for build it...
Balthagor wrote:IIRC we have the Guiana space centre.
Yes I missed it, should be placed to the north-west of Kourou, at X:551 Y:388.

New Russian spaceport Yasny (X:1144 Y:147), 4 success satellite deployment since 2006. (It placed near Dombarovsry but not the same!)
North Korean spaceport Tonghae at X:1577 Y:203
South Korean spaceport Naro at X:1589 Y:240
Pakistan spaceport Tilla at X:1272 Y:247
USA spaceport Wallops at X:442 Y:223

Sweden Mission Control (Sat) Esrange at X:912 Y:065
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

thanks.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

fixes done to this point.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
samuel1991
Warrant Officer

Post by samuel1991 »

I am a Singaporean.

In Singapore, the entire country is the capital and generally it is one of the denest population in the world. Well, it seemed ridiculous to have Singapore's capital on the game having 4million + when that area is particularly the business district like downtown which has little population and further west of it is mainly local population just like any other location. (I expect the correct amount of population to stay about 1.6 million, considering that current IRL population is about 5m, including new immigrants and the Western part of Singapore population has been growing especially in areas called Jurong which is covered in the Capital city which is 3rd most populated area)

Then on another Singapore city that has a mere 20k+ population, that is located on the Northern part of Singapore that has "petrol power plant" all over it. Well, I suggest that the hex there should be renamed to Woodlands and having about 500k ~ 1m population there. One of the most (4th) populated towns in Singapore is Woodlands. And there is a checkpoint in Woodlands (The first and currently in operational and no signs showing that it goes defunct within 20 years from now) that links to Malaysia.

Then on another Singapore city in the North East with Naval and Land fabrication plants, this is because especially the naval ones, is located in the Eastern tip called Changi. In any case, the size of a hex is large enough to cover the most populated areas in Singapore (Tampines,in 2nd most populated area as well as Hougang which is the 5th dense area and some other well known old towns.) I suggest that the area to be renamed to Changi or Hougang (Hougang is more North East) or Tampines, and the population should be about 1.8m, similar but slightly more than the capital city side (Which is a bit odd, but it does not matter because the entire Singapore IS the capital).

Lastly, there is a undeveloped complex in X:1470 Y:408 that has 0 population and not developed at all. This is weird because it is the Eastern part which consist part of the most population area named as Bedok (The other part is covered by the other hex in "Hougang") and other Eastern part of Singapore. In fact, there are some light industries there which can be used for producing consumer goods / industrial goods. For this hex, it can be simply renamed to Bedok.

Source: My local newspaper published years ago IRL as part of population movement report.

I know that these names are quite "weird" when it is used outside Singapore context, since these area are having size of no more than half or even quarter of the hex, depending on different areas in Singapore.
samuel1991
Warrant Officer

Post by samuel1991 »

Also, since I am playing as DPRK due to my perference of Communism, I find it weird that:

1: Why that Pyongyang does not have any tourist attraction since Pyongyang is a must go place when a tour in DPRK?

2: I think that the 38th parallel area can be a tourist attraction due to historical value too.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Re: Singapore

I remember when I painted the map this was one of the worst areas to work on. If you notice, the industrial complex and the military base actually fall on the Malaysian side of the Johor straight. We had to increase the size of Singapore just to get a military base and power plants in and that is actually about 2/3 of the real installed electrical capacity of the country. The population was concentrated in the hex that should be the whole country. Ideally, all the contents of the other two hexes would be in the Singapore capital hex. Like you said, very dense!

X:1470 Y:408 is river. I don't think anyone is living underwater. Press <Ctrl+Shift+T> to see the terrain underneath and you'll understand the problems we had.

Re: Tourism
Both sites you list don't generate much revenue compared to the sites we have given tourist attractions too. And the majority of the rest of the world doesn't really see the DPRK as a "nice place to visit".

I can see giving Seoul a tourist attraction to represent the country wide tourism industry, I'll consider that.

FYI; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tourism_rankings
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

And the majority of the rest of the world doesn't really see the DPRK as a "nice place to visit".
They might in the year 2020 :D
samuel1991
Warrant Officer

Post by samuel1991 »

Balthagor wrote:Re: Singapore
X:1470 Y:408 is river. I don't think anyone is living underwater. Press <Ctrl+Shift+T> to see the terrain underneath and you'll understand the problems we had.

Re: Tourism
Both sites you list don't generate much revenue compared to the sites we have given tourist attractions too. And the majority of the rest of the world doesn't really see the DPRK as a "nice place to visit".

I can see giving Seoul a tourist attraction to represent the country wide tourism industry, I'll consider that.

FYI; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Tourism_rankings
I presume you have taken into factor that hex X:1470 Y:408 indeed has a wide river (Named as Kallang River) but due to a size of hex is 16km square which is way too big for a country like Singapore, considering that Singapore's Eastern tip to Western tip is about 42km ~ 45km depending on reclaimed land in the Western tip, which is instead covered in a hex called Johore Bharu in the game which I left it aside because that area is really more onto Malaysian side and it has 0 population there as it is entirely industrial zone (X:1468 Y:408), that hex also mainly covers residential area just like the other hexes in Singapore. Oh yes, apparently that Johore Bharu hex has covered North Western part of Singapore too, which I think it is better off merging into Capital city since that area is one of the less dense in Singapore but still very dense when comparing to nations like Russia or New Zealand (Factoring that large part of the area is a air field, and undeveloped cemetries as well as agriculture park).

Just to add on, most likely from a direct view of hex X:1470 Y:408, quite a big portion of it is a reclaimed land in 1970s called Marine Parade and East Coast Park along it (Which is why it is a river area as stated there) and hence it is indeed weird to see that hex has 0 population which should not be the case but rather having one of the least populated hex in Singapore.
samuel1991
Warrant Officer

Post by samuel1991 »

Oh yes, by the way, was it a joke from the developers such that South Korea's capital is Soul instead of Seoul?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

This has been discussed before, our sources listed that as the "local" place name, same way we use Wien for Vienna.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Balthagor wrote:fixes done to this point.
We gonna see this in a micro update or you going to give a link to it.. or what?
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

saving it for an update, we'll be talking about that soon.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
DiegoEsteban
Lieutenant

Post by DiegoEsteban »

Small correction for Argentina Bases:
The base with a shipyard named Lanus should be named Buenos Aires (Lanus city is landlocked).
The base with air and land factories named Buenos Aires should be named Campo de Mayo (Army main base)
sirveri
Colonel

Post by sirveri »

And while we're at it you guys missed some freeways in the San Francisco Bay area. notably the San Mateo bridge, the Dunbarton Bridge, the San Rafael bridge, the Benicia bridge the 280 corridor, the 680 corridor, the highway 4 interchange, another thing that I forgot the name of the goes from Vallejo to Novato, and highway 99 (for the valley), and... mmmm... I dunno, next time I'm down near LA I'll let you guys know... :wink:

Just givin' you all a hard time, have a happy Valentines day, don't spend it all at work.
- Dave
---------------------
Will mod for food!
oberkommando
Major

Post by oberkommando »

Hello.

ATUCHA I Nuclear facility.

I am from Argentina.
After the update, i have noticed that you have allocated wrongly a nuclear power plant in the City of Buenos Aires.

I found that a nuclear power plant is missing in Zárate region (not in the city, near it) it has to be in (x:508, y:582); one hex away from Zárate city, Buenos Aires province. I mean it is Atucha I! and Atucha II is about 80% from been completed. The first Nuclear power plant in Latin America, as well the biggest pressurized vessel for a nuclear plant in world back in the 1980 belongs to the Atucha I. Also where a second reactor is being build. It is a 350+MW/h power plant, maybe it is small, but by 2005 it represented 2% of Argentina´s electricity in the electricity distribution net.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atucha_I_N ... ower_Plant

EMBALSE NUCLEAR PLANT.

EDIT: Also The Embalse nuclear power plant is missing in the right place!, it is locates some 95 km south of Cordoba, central Argentina, by a small lake. It is near to a town called Embalse Ministro Juan Pistarini (wich is small 8503 inhabitants).
I´ve seen that you located that facility in Río Tercero, Cordoba. But it is 30 Km away from the actual location.

About cities.

Río Tercero in game but what about Río Cuarto?

I have seen that Rio Cuarto (which has 106 000 inhabitants it is not represented in game) when Río Tercero (47 000) is. I guess you have done this because you allocated the misplaced nuclear power plant next to it.

Ushuaia (63 000 citizens by 2010).

Even though it is a Small city it has a major airport in Tierra del Fuego and it must be in game. Also it is port to a small contingent of the navy (Base Naval Ushuaia, BNUS). One thing i have noticed about this particularly region is that it is very close to Chiles south borders and may be impossible to set it where it should be, otherwise it wont have an exit to the channel.

If it is not viable to correct this mistakes i will appreciate you, to tell me how i could make the changes for myself.

Thank you very much. Thanks to the team. It is a great game. I enjoy playing it. Both Paradox and Battle goat are committed doing gaming, a better experience.

Good day.
Last edited by oberkommando on Jul 30 2011, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “Support & Issues - 2020”