Help needed-Moding-Can't start any modded region but Egypt!?

Get installation help, discuss issues, and submit bug reports in this section. Take a read through before posting... sometimes your problem may have already been discussed.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend

arko
Sergeant
Human: Yes

Help needed-Moding-Can't start any modded region but Egypt!?

Post by arko »

Hello together.

For some days I tried to mod a few countries in Supreme Ruler 2020 Gold Edition, but despite carefull reading and searching the Forum and Wiki I can not locate the error. Since nobody else seemed to have the same problem I suppose it must be mistake on my side.
I am aware of Balthagors walkthrough and several posts in this forum concerning this topic as well as the wiki, but I have reached a dead end, so I ask for assistance from the community here.

First, I have succesfully modded Egypt (added other countries to the group to form the United Arabic Republic, which has a historic background, added additional resources and increased the population). That worked fine and I played this modded country, but everytime I try to mod another country I can not load the created cached SAV. file, it appears only (standard, unmodified) Egypt. I can see on the map that the other country is there (with the added regions and populations), but I can't play it. (In these other scenarios I have of course, set Egyptback to standard values and deleted the Egypt-mod.cvp.)

Perhaps someone can help me and point out the mistake I made, so I can correct it.

I did the following:
1) I made backups of my files in all folders used.

2) I emptied the CACHE folder
Q: It is enough, if I empty the CACHE folder (or rename it'S files)? Do I have to empty the other folders (CacheCG, Campagin, CampaignCG) too, if I play only a scenario? (I tried several versions, but it still does not work.)

3) I open the SCENARIO folder and change the ShatteredWorld - No Units.Scenario file using Notepad++. (I want to play a shattered World-Scenario without any units from start. Example here is Japan.)
I change the line "#include "World2020.CVP", "MAPS\"" to "#include "JAPAN.CVP", "MAPS\"" and save the file as "Japan - No Units.Scenario".
(Original ShatteredWorld - NO Units file is no longer existend.)

4) I open the MAPS folder and change the "World2020.cvp" to "Japan.cvp".
I also make some changes within the file - change the government to 2: Monarchy, add a sum to the treasury and add a number to the refpopulation. Nothing complicated.

5) (I ignore the ShatteredWorld.INCL this time since I plan on using a Japan withount additional territory. In other cases like Egypt I changed some regions which worked.)

6) I start the game (GC, but I also tried the "standard" 2020 - no difference) to create a new CACHE file. I select singleplayer, scenario, SR 2020, slect my Japan - no Units.Scenario and try to start the game (sometimes I choose Japan, sometimes Egypt. According to the walkthrough it should not matter...).
Now the problem starts: The game does not load Japan or Egypt or anything else. After approx. 30 seconds it returns to the game menu. I quit and can nevertheless find a newly created SAV file in the Savegame-folder (CACHED - Japan - No Units - GC. SAV). I copy it in the empty CACHE folder and shorten the file name to "Japan - NO UNits.SAV".
THen I try to start the game and load this file. But then I get everytime only a standard un-moddyifed Egypt, but never Japan (when I select Japan, I get either standard EGypt (and in some cases a standard Japan.)

I hope, i could describe my problem precisely, so that someone can explain to me what went wrong and how I can correct the mistake.

Many thanks in advance.
Ruges
General
Location: Nearby, really I'll see you tonight when your sleeping

Re: Help needed-Moding-Can't start any modded region but Egy

Post by Ruges »

Your problem lies in one of these files .CVP, .Mapx, .oof, .regionincl. Could even be the scenario has an incorrect link to one of these. Replace each one of them with the original till you no longer have the issue (no recache needed). Then when you find out which one is wrong compare it with the one that works and see what the difference is.
arko
Sergeant

Post by arko »

Thank you for your kind reply and your advice.

I have not touched the MAPX or the OOF files since I had no idea what to do with them. So I suspect they are okay.
My Japan scenario looks like this:
// SCENARIO DEFINITION FILE

// ifset bitmask: 0x01: Load CVP Info 0x02: Load Rest of Source Files (use 0x03 for All) 0x04: Load from Cache

// Load Region and Group Information
#ifset 0x01 //-------------------------------------------
#include "Japan.CVP", "MAPS\"
#include "ShatteredWorld.REGIONINCL", "MAPS\"
#endifset //-------------------------------------------

// 'load map info' Section (not done for lobby mode)
#ifset 0x02 // Full Source ------------------------------
#include "DEFAULT.UNIT", "MAPS\DATA\"
#include "DEFAULT.PPLX", "MAPS\DATA\"
#include "DEFAULT.TTRX", "MAPS\DATA\"
#include "DEFAULT.TERX", "MAPS\DATA\"
#include "DEFAULT.WMDATA", "MAPS\DATA\"
#include "DEFAULT.NEWSITEMS", "MAPS\DATA\"

#include "RTreaties.CSV", "INI\"
#include "WTreaties.CSV", "INI\"
#include "WMVotes.CSV", "INI\"
#include "Training.CSV", "INI\"
#include "spotting.CSV", "INI\"

#ifset 0x02 // Full Source ------------------------------
&&MAP
mapfile "World2020"
&&END

#include "World2020.OOF", "MAPS\""
//#include "ShatteredWorld.OOB", "MAPS\ORBATS\"
#include "AllLoad.ini" "INI\"

#ifset 0x04 // Cache ------------------------------------
&&SAV
savfile "Shattered World"
&&END

#include "LocalText-Regions.csv", "SCENARIO\", Y

// TODO - Load GMT here?

// Game/Scenario Customization (All Loads)
&&GMC

maplevel: 1

startymd: 2020,6,17 Starting Date of Scenario Override

campaignstart: N
numwinchoice: 0
numlosechoice: 0

// CGameSetup Defaults:
difficulty: 2, 2, 2
resources: 2
initialfunds: 2
reservelimit: 0
aistance: 0
gamelength: 0
startyear: 0
techtreedefault: 1

teamplay: N
nocapitalmove: N
limitdareffect: N
limitmareffect: N
wminvolve: Y
wmduse: Y
fastbuild: N
govchoice: Y
fogofwar: Y
advfogofwar: Y
norangemult: N
nomisrangemult: N
nospotrangemult: N
grouployaltymerge: Y
groupresearchmerge: Y
nounits: Y

I have left the ShatteredWorld.REGIONINCL file (in the MAPS folder) untouched this time since I changed no regions for this scenario. Same for units since I intend a game where all countries start with zero units. Japan (2001) is included, I checked that. JAPAN.CVP (also in the MAPS folder) is a changed WORLD2020.CVP file where I increased population, treasury and some of the products available at start. I changed the government to monarchy and nothing else.
All the other files are the original files.

For the moment I have to postpone further analysis since I had a hard day and tomorrow will not be easy, too.
I will check the various files tomorrow again since I have not found the errorous file by now. :-(

If you have any other suggestions, please do not hold it back. Your advice is really appreciated.
Ruges
General

Post by Ruges »

Open up the Japan.CVP in notepad and all the lines that include &&CVP make sure they dont look " around them.

IE
&&CVP is good
"&&CVP" is bad
arko
Sergeant

Post by arko »

Ruges wrote:Open up the Japan.CVP in notepad and all the lines that include &&CVP make sure they dont look " around them.

IE
&&CVP is good
"&&CVP" is bad
Thanks for the advice. I have gone through the complete Japan.cvp using Notepad++ thoroughly, but found only the good ones (&&CVP) in it.

I will try and work again on my files as you suggestesd earlier. Perhaps I have overlooked something, but I am not confident that I will find something now when I was not able to find it before. In every case I will post the result here.

(Even without a mod it is a great game, I was just eager to adapt it to a outline of the future I expect to become quite possible.)

Thank you for your help, Ruges.

EDIT:
I give up for the moment. After hours changing and rearranging files I still do not see the problem. I must be close, since I can still see the Japan ingame, but can not play it. While loading/starting the game it jumps to Egypt. Then I can see Japans population and financial status which is exactely as in the modded files, but no way to play it. Same in my Congo game file. :-(
Perhaps I find a solution at the weekend. I am still open to suggestions...

EDIT:
I removed all files (especially the World2020 and Shattered World files w/ Units) from the CACHE folder and wrote my changes to Japan directly in the shattered World (no units) file in the scenario folder. I made region 101 (Egypt) a part of Libya (102). But my grand plan did not work, since the game offered my Libya first when I selected this scenario. But it loaded the Mongolia file, which I have not even touched!?!? Geographically speaking I am approaching Japan, but I would still be most grateful for an enlightend (and helping) word on this matter. Oh, and it did not create a new cache file in SAvegames what I had expected since I removed the other files.

???
arko
Sergeant

Post by arko »

The problem continues. No matter what I change or replace. Either the game starts as the country in an totally unmodified version or it starts as Egypt (or another country if I make Egypt part of another region or otherwise try to remove it as playable region).
In the last cases I can still see (from Egyptian perspective i.e.) that changes were made to Japan (population or treasury or government), but I can not play it.

I see no alternative but to re-install the game and try again. Perhaps that will help.
Ruges
General

Post by Ruges »

This is why you keep back up original files. So when something like this happens, you start replacing 1 modified file at a time with the original till the problem goes away.
arko
Sergeant

Post by arko »

Ruges wrote:This is why you keep back up original files. So when something like this happens, you start replacing 1 modified file at a time with the original till the problem goes away.
No, you misunderstand me. I did make backup files of all the files (including the scenarios I had no intention to play). And I did change the modified files with the originals - that's what I have done for days now! But I did not find the error!
Normally I am not that stupid, but in this case I am really ... annoyed.
I had only minor alterations in mind, so only a scenario file (.scenario), a modified world2020 file (cvp) and the short-time removal of some Cache files for the creation of a new cache were necessary A relatively simple task one might guess.
(Compared to the mods I made with the Hearts of Iron-series, for example, this should indeed take only a few minutes, but it did not.)
I still have the same problem as before. The reinstallation was done because I suspected a corrupted game file since it can't be that after dozens of attempts, it still does not work!!
I checked for writting mistakes, wrong region numbers, file endings, et cetera.
arko
Sergeant

Post by arko »

The issue is been solved - in a way.
The game is still corrupted, but I managed to copy it's content and can write new scenarios with it. Therefore I could finally play as another country.
No idea why it did not work first and works now with the same data and same procedure. Again I used the same instructions as before.
As long as it works now, I am content and consider this matter closed.
georgios
Brigadier Gen.

Post by georgios »

How treasury is edited? I tried to edid it in cvp file but nothing happened.
arko
Sergeant

Post by arko »

You can add a value (up to 99999999999999, I think, higher values made my treasury unstable in the game) after the line treasury in the section of the country you chose.
You have to built a new cache file after that to have it work.
There is also a good example in the supremewiki and in several posts here in the forum.

Edit:
Oh, and be careful: If your treasury reaches/exceedes 2000 000 000 000 $ (for example: modified starting treasury plus income from trade, taxes, etc.)
then your account will go negative. It is definitely not nice wehn you suddenly have -2000 000 000 000 000.
The game won't let you start with a higher treasury but 999999999999999. At least, that is my experience, so stay well below that number.

Return to “Support & Issues - 2020”