Why are my power plants petroleum

Discussion about Production and Resources

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Nuts
Corporal

Why are my power plants petroleum

Post by Nuts »

I have only other and nuclear power plants, but I'm still using over 3bbl of petroleum a year. Why is this happening. :-?
Seydlitz
Major

Post by Seydlitz »

City power generation accounts for a portion of total power generated, and petroleum is used for that. I've gotten rid of it by setting up an excess of non-petroleum power plants and lowering the production levels. It's a pretty expensive way to get rid of a little oil though...
The_Blind_One
Colonel

Post by The_Blind_One »

Seydlitz wrote:City power generation accounts for a portion of total power generated, and petroleum is used for that. I've gotten rid of it by setting up an excess of non-petroleum power plants and lowering the production levels. It's a pretty expensive way to get rid of a little oil though...
Yeah we should be able to stop the petroleum use from city's, it can be quite frustrating in certain scenario's :evil:
Eric Larsen
Colonel

Don't forget Coal

Post by Eric Larsen »

I find that it's better to replace petroleum power plants with coal fired ones. This really works nicely if you have plenty of coal. While you can't stop city power production you can reduce petro power plants thus reducing petro usage. I also like to upgrade my power plants to the max and then scrap excess smaller plants.
Thanks,

Eric Larsen
Seydlitz
Major

Re: Don't forget Coal

Post by Seydlitz »

Eric Larsen wrote:I find that it's better to replace petroleum power plants with coal fired ones.
Too bad the game doesn't model lung cancer :wink: .
Il Duce
Brigadier Gen.

'Mysterious' Petro

Post by Il Duce »

You also must remember that industrial production requires petro [and coal and minerals etc.] as an input. You can't produce industrial, military, and consumer goods without petro. The manual documents this, and it is accurate. You can also see the various component usage by industry in one of the detail panels for each commodity.

The inputs to industrial production are a bit loopy, in that military and consumer goods all require industrial goods as a component [as well as other raw materials]. The effect is to require your goods usage to be panoramic, and ultimately to create friction points where self-sufficiency might otherwise be possible.

[it is curious that the goats chose timber instead of rubber - rubber might have been a great equalizer for third-world non-petro regions... ah well, perhaps in the next BG blockbuster.]
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously [but otherwise, they do not worry and are happy].
Nuts
Corporal

Post by Nuts »

Seydlitz wrote:City power generation accounts for a portion of total power generated, and petroleum is used for that. I've gotten rid of it by setting up an excess of non-petroleum power plants and lowering the production levels. It's a pretty expensive way to get rid of a little oil though...
My cities are producing 0% of my countries electrical needs. However, my electrical industry is using over 3 billion barrals of oil. With oil over $40 a barral, this is over $120 billion.

Also, I went back and checked again. The only power plants I have are, other and nuclear, with 2 nuke plants under construction.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

You dont by chance have that tech that allows plants to use mixed fuel types ?
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
Nuts
Corporal

Post by Nuts »

tkobo wrote:You dont by chance have that tech that allows plants to use mixed fuel types ?
The only two techs I have under Science tech. are Understanding DNA and Alternate Power Generation. Are either one of these the one your talking about
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

No, i dont think either of those are the one.
Chuckle TM
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

K, i went in and looked, the tech is called "Multi- fueled Power plants"

Ive never really been sure how it worked, but thought it might be a possible explantion.

Its under the "Technology" research group by the way, not the science research group.
Chuckle TM
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

I knwo you can elminate the cities oil usage for power generation, because i do it in almost every game.

Chuckle TM
Nuts
Corporal

Post by Nuts »

I don't have that tech in any of my lists
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

That pretty much rules it out than as the culprit.

Can you post screen shots ?

If you can post on matching the screen above.

Also there was a bug with power generation that was a confusion on usage type issue that has never been tracked down.

http://www.bgforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=4279

Its possible your situation is a variable on it.

If youd like to send me your save game (zipped of course), id be happy to look the situation over tommorrow for you.
Chuckle TM
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

If you send out that savegame, CC me on it as well and I will investigate further.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com

Return to “Production - Commerce Department”