Why are my power plants petroleum

Discussion about Production and Resources

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Nuts
Corporal

Post by Nuts »

I have dial up internet access right now. I will hopefully have high speed tomorrow. I will send out then
Nuts
Corporal

Post by Nuts »

I just emailed out. It is just over 5mb. Not sure how long it will take at 36k though :P
red
General

Post by red »

Savegames compress to <500kb.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

I recieved your savegame and have the solution. I was actually inspired to use your case as an example and have added it to our wiki;

http://supremewiki.com/Commerce
Nuts wrote:I have only other and nuclear power plants, but I'm still using over 2bbl of petroleum a year. Why is this happening?
By accessing the 5th button of the second panel labeled Consumption/Usage Levels it is possible to see where any product is being used and what raw materials it consumes. Here we can see that indeed, 3.2M barrels are being consumed through power generation. This can be attributed do the fact that power plants placed on the map are not the only source of electricity. Larger cities produce not only some electricity but also Consumer and Industrial goods. The quantity of each is assigned during scenario design.

However, it is also clear that electricity is not the primary demand for petroleum in this case. Civilian usage is accounting for 560M while industrial goods production is consuming 1.6B barrels, by far the largest drain.

Possible solution: lock industrial goods and military goods production from minister control. Set production of industrial goods to 100% of demand and military goods to 0%. Since the player already has a surplus of military goods, they can live off of these temporarily. This will help in two ways. First, the 240M Barrels being used for military goods construction will not be needed anymore. Second, the demand for industrial goods will decrease (industrial goods are used in the production of military goods) and by only producing to demand the player should be able to cut petroleum use for industrial goods by as much as 40-50%.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Nuts
Corporal

Post by Nuts »

Thanks. What was confusing me is the fact that my cities are providing 0% of my electricity. Thanks for you help
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

the 0% was probably because you where having shortages of petrolum so it was trying to use petrol but could not.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Eric Larsen
Colonel

Wasting Money

Post by Eric Larsen »

tkobo,
In your picture you posted showing electricity production I noticed you're wasting a bunch of money on maintenance with all those power plants turned on yet not producing. If you're not going to use them to produce then you should turn them off to save on maintenance costs. I try to keep my electricity production capacity just barely above production to minimize maintenance costs. If I need more jiuce I turn on another plant.

Also I noticed no one mentioned that construction uses up petroleum. If you're running short of petroleum and are doing serious construction then you should ease off constrction unless you're constructing petroleum facilities.
Thanks,

Eric Larsen

Return to “Production - Commerce Department”