Examples -How you can use air units with little to no losses

Share your stories of conquests and leadership successes.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Re: Examples -How you can use air units with little to no losses

Post by tkobo »

Air units used well in this game,are unstoppable vs the AI.
Sadly,the attack order causes alot of issues with people and air unit use.At first look,it appears to be just a case of issue attack order and be happy.But due to the way the games systems work, that is one of the worst things you can do.

Years back, i had a similiar opinion that air units werent effective enough.
But some mutli-player game sessions against "Ghengis" Red,showed me that mid air units could be used to great effectiveness.
And after that ,alot of conversations and testing with the other regular sr2010 forum members allowed us to find the best ways to use them.
It was definately a joint effort.

The air units that dont use missiles and have good ground attacks, like the a-10 or the b-52 are actually better to use against ground units without missiles as they pack quite a punch and are far more efficient using default attack than missiles.

BUT missiles are key to safely clearing out those pesky anti-air units , so that the aircraft can go in and bomb safely.

As far as loading aircraft with missiles, i use the auto load and the RoE settings so that i can re-arm my aircraft with the missiles i want them to have at the drop of a hat.

A post explaining the RoE system and its use is a good idea.Ill pop one in here.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
GIJoe597
Board Admin
Human: Yes

Post by GIJoe597 »

tkobo - in the 2nd video with the B-52's, 33 seconds from the end of video a window pops up with all your B-52's listed and it lists "---> ALL" . I have never seen that, how did you get them grouped and where did you find that level of control? :)
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Not sure what you mean, thats just a stack grab.
If you click on a stack of units,you will have "all" at the top as a possible selection "filter".

If you wanted to select every B-52 on the map (excluding ones under orders)you would use these filter options.
http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 55&t=11712

Do you possibly have the unit selection option to always pick the entire stack turned on ?I dont think you get the "all" filter for the stacks if you do.
Chuckle TM
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

tkobo wrote:Do you possibly have the unit selection option to always pick the entire stack turned on ?I dont think you get the "all" filter for the stacks if you do.

Bingo.

Thank you.

I have never heard of Battlegoat before I read about this game on the Paradox forums and I feel like I have been missing out on some good stuff from them :) I have been playing the game approx 12 hours a day, every day since I purchased it and I still discover new things. There is absolutely so much going on its seeming impossible to become an expert on all game mechanics. ( for me that is) :)

P.S. Battlegoat - I have really ran the game though its paces already and I have yet to have one crash/hangup or restart. Which is very seldom the case in todays game software world and when you consider the sheer number of items being processed.. I salute you all!
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

I think this post would make a good sticky
Slyguy3129
Lieutenant

Post by Slyguy3129 »

tkobo can you set where your aircraft will fly? How can you do so, I'm going to try this on my N Korea game and see if I can't get out of the slump I am in. Whenever I order an air unit to do something it normally flies right into the thick of things lol, which ends badly with the Air Craft that I have.
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Yes.

What you want to do, is pick the hexes you want your aircraft to fly thru,straight lines work best.

Send the aircraft to the first location (A),just as its about to enter that hex,pause the game.Now select the aircraft and use the patrol order on the second end hex (B) you want the units to move back and forth to.

So hex A is the first hex in the patrol route, and hex B is the last hex in the patrol route.

This will make the air units fly from A to B repeatedily,til some other order overrides the patrol order.

The best aircraft to use for such a patrol are ones that have a 2 or more hex ground attack range(or only come down to medium air when attacking ground units), and as long an air attack as possible.Just be aware of any good anti-air in the area, and of high aircraft like mig-25s(which can close to their attack range before you can fire on them in alot of cases).
Be ready to counter either of these.
Chuckle TM
Slyguy3129
Lieutenant

Post by Slyguy3129 »

Ah so its kind of a round about way of issuing way points. Awesome and from your videos they appear to RTB and reload-fuel so that appears to work. Thanks!
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

Which one? The AAR section is highly unmonitored, our users are well enough behaved that we get away with it. I've probably missed the thread in question.
This one :-)
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

:Balthagor throws leftover Christmas cake at the thread:

there, now it's sticky...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Hundane
General

Post by Hundane »

Thanks !
geminif4ucorsair
General

Post by geminif4ucorsair »

Gonzar wrote:tkobo was famous in SR2010 for his massive use or air force and missiles, conquering the world with almost no casualties :-) .
I see you still have a love for the air force. Good work with the videos, tkobo :-) .
Concur with your video examples - fine job. :-)

Of course, the whole example is predicated on the AI being less sophisticated than would be some players, in offering a "counter-air" strategy
to defeat such a reliance on air tactics presented. :D
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Post by tkobo »

Very true.But like many things, wouldnt it be nice if the AI could do so, and did do so....
Chuckle TM
dfdcvbmn
Corporal

Re: Examples -How you can use air units with little to no lo

Post by dfdcvbmn »

what the password, folks?
tkobo
Supreme Ruler

Re: Examples -How you can use air units with little to no lo

Post by tkobo »

I had no idea what that last post meant,til today.Seems some people were not able to see the vids,and were instead asked for the password for access to the files....

Not sure why that happened,but i re-posted the links and it seems to have gone away.
Chuckle TM

Return to “After Action Reports”