Pacific Clash

Share your stories of conquests and leadership successes.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

GIJoe597
Board Admin
Human: Yes

Pacific Clash

Post by GIJoe597 »

SR:2020 Global Crisis 6.8.1
World Volatility: Medium
Mil Diff: Very Hard
Hot Relations: Very High
Debt: None (this helps the AI)
Diplo Diff: Very Easy

This is something I have been thinking about for some time now. It will be different from my previous AARs in that this will be very slow paced with perhaps only one update per week. I intend to include small video segments when I can. I have no idea how long I will continue, but as long as I am entertained, I will keep it going. As always, comments welcomed. (I wanted to embed video here, but cannot figure out how or even if it's possible)

I will start with a video setup. Please watch it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnpMxoEOXWc
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
Hundane
General

Re: Pacific Clash

Post by Hundane »

Neato video !!!!

Cant wait to see more.
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

China
Jiang Zhao Ming – President – reformer, reaches out to the west.
Lee Peng – Premier, hard line Marxist. Authorized the brutal response in Tiananmen Square.

United States of America
Mark Johnson – President
Clark Sharpe, ADM – Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff

Jan 1st, 2020.
As you can see in the opening video there is a power struggle in China after the death of its leader Dung Zhao Ping. China is increasing its military capacity at an alarming rate which forces it to search for more resources to support such an endeavor. It is also very keen to have ports/bases deep in the South China Sea. The Spratly Islands have been identified as a considerable source of oil, Natural Gas and is a very productive area for fishing. Any conflict in the pacific will inevitably revolve around who can control the sea lanes and straights in and around this area.

The challenge for the US will be to counter and contain China as much as possible. This will be accomplished via Diplomacy, Military Force or any combination of the two. Making issues even more complicated, China and Russia have recently signed agreements which lay to rest almost every point of issue they have had in the past. China, feeling clear of entanglements along their vast Russian border, is flexing their muscle elsewhere.

During the previous administrations 8 year term all military forces deployed/based abroad were brought home. Many of our allies and partners were left with little to no support. Domestically, the USA is suffering from a stale economy, crumbling infrastructure and tensions along the Mexican border. With all forces now back home, several units have been placed at or near the southern border in an attempt help stem the flow of illegal goods, both human and non-human, which only increase the tension with Mexico.

At this point there are no forces anywhere outside of our borders. Should open conflict occur, as it appears it may with the Pacific heating up, we will be hard pressed to get adequate forces to required locations. Hampering this will be the thawing of relations between several key Pacific nations and the US, most notably the Philippines, Taiwan and Japan.

tkobo
Supreme Ruler
Location: In a vast zionist plot ...RIGHT BEHIND YOU ! Oh Noes !

Post by tkobo »

Liked the movie.hope to see more of them.
This post approved by Tkobo:Official Rabble Rouser of the United Yahoos
Chuckle TM
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

Working on next update. Unsure of upload date. But as I mentioned above this one will be very slow paced, as far as updates go. Gives me a chance to play around with video editing.

GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

Jan 1st 2020
With the military and intelligence cuts of the last 8 years the U.S. has no method of seeing what is going on in the South China Sea in real or near real time. The three existing reconnaissance satellites are tasked for the Mid East and Europe.

President Johnson asks ADM Sharpe to get information on what’s happening out there. Pronto! Upon conferring with the JCS it is determined the quickest way would be to use an old friend of the intelligence community. The venerable Dragon Lady.

The hard part would be finding an airfield to base it out of. It was universally agreed the U-2 should go in hot and fast. China was already using force in the area and there was widespread belief they would not hesitate to fire upon our U-2 if they had the chance. Range was the issue. The U-2 would make passes over the area in question and travel at a high rate of speed but this meant it would burn fuel at an alarming rate. We had to find an airfield as close as possible to the conflict area. This proved problematic.

Placing discrete calls to several leaders in the area met with only minimal success. While several countries were open to discussing it with us they wanted certain guarantees as to what, if anything, the U.S. was going to do about China’s aggression. Unfortunately this area of the world is rife with poverty and a low standard of living. Many have viewed the Spratly’s and the general area as a ticket to increased wealth and prosperity for their country. Once the island chain was identified as a veritable gold mine of oil and natural gas, country’s starting upping their claims on the area. Now that China was interceding with military force, several of our past allies in the region were open to allowing us to use their bases albeit with strings attached.

President Johnson was not the type of man to make guarantees he was not certain he could follow through on. With things heating up domestically, Mexico ratcheting up their saber rattling and the military being hamstrung by the past administration, he was also wondering what, if anything, he could do about China.

In the end the, best option available was to use Brunei. The small country had long claimed the Spratly Islands and was the least able to defend any claims on them. This placed them in a position where they had to rely on the good graces of the U.S. to support and back them both locally and in the UN. It was agreed one squadron of U-2s of the 9th Reconnaissance Wing, Beale Air Force Base, Ca., Would be used.

Everything hinged on the Intel the U-2s came up with. Was China in the area with tremendous force or were they relying on speed and surprise to carry them through with minimal forces? All eyes were on the Dragon Lady as she was prepared for her mission, a mission that had not been so tense in a very many years. Not since the height of the Cold War had so much rested on a U-2 mission.

http://youtu.be/wI0KfElX_So
Last edited by GIJoe597 on Oct 16 2012, edited 1 time in total.

GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

Things started rather abruptly, with China moving on the Spratly Islands. We did not have a chance to review and ponder our start. Here now we will go over some basics of what we did and why we did it.

Research
The US starts with 18 facilities, we order the following;
1. TAKR-287 Algol – Although not the largest capacity cargo type it is the fastest. With the vast expanses of the Pacific being one of our primary areas of interest, speed will matter.
2. U-3 Dagger – An updated version of the U-2. Cheaper and faster than launching new intel sats.
3. F-22D Raptor – Air to Air, 3,850 km range.
4. FB-22 Delta Raptor – Air to Ground, 5,200 km range! Base ground attack range of 24 km with 90 damage.
5. Dark Matter Theories – Research Efficiency up to +2%.
6. Artillery Locating Radar - +15% ground attack, +10% spotting. Arty is an excellent defensive weapon, nothing better than digging in and letting the enemy get chewed up and demoralized as they come at you.
7. Depleted Uranium Munitions - +2% ground attack values.
8. Anti Personnel Munitions – Requirement for more advanced Special/Para Forces.
9. Urban Heat Exchangers - -10% population Petro use and +10% City Power Generation.
10. Waste Management - -10% Ore demand for Goods and +10% Water output.
11. Improved Radar – +10% spotting strength. See first shoot first!
12. BLOS Targeting – Arty range +10%
13. Military Body Armor - +5% Soft Target Defense.
14. Prismatic Uranium Blocks - +5% to Nuclear Power output.
15. High Speed Trains – Prerequisite for 2 techs that improve Infrastructure.
16. Digital Roads - +5% Infrastructure rating.
17. Enhanced Navigation - +5% Infrastructure rating.
18. EFRB-BB Ammunition – +40% Ballistic Arty Range.

Finances
All social spending is moved to recommended levels with the exception of Infrastructure. It is moved to max.
Taxes are set as follows;
Low - 20%
High - 32.5%
Corp - 28%
Small - 25%
Sales - 10%
Unemployment/Property/Pension – 2.9%

Industry
All shortfalls are noted and facilities ordered to be constructed as appropriate. We pay particular attention to Uranium deposits. Our near term goal is to use nuclear power exclusively.

We scrap all Petro Power Plants.

Military
Ground – 34 fabs
While we have many newer models of ground units this area has been all but ignored these last 8 years. Many proposed programs were cut and programs that did make it to completion were slashed drastically. As a consequence approximately 60% of our ground forces are outdated. Our goal is to have the most capable force not the largest, financial realities dictate this is the way to go.

We order all 34 Land Fabs to start producing M2A4 Bradley IFV’s. These will replace the older units, of which the most common is the M113.

AIR – 27 fabs

With our F-15 fleet aging we need to consider next generation replacements. The F-22D program is restarted. This will be our front line air to air fighter as soon as it is available. We currently have only 10 Squadrons of F-22A to rely on, while they are adequate, the D model will have a greater range, speed and attack distance. In addition it will be able to carry missiles which the A model cannot do. For now, we will rely on the F-22A and the F-15 until the F-22D is ready to enter service.

7 sqds of F-22A is ordered. (1 Wing)

Naval fighters – Our fleet of F/A-18’s are aging and plagued by low range. In this era with long range ship killing missiles being the norm, we need to extend our cap/defensive umbrella out further. Greater range and a higher degree of survivability is what we are looking for. The F-35C CV Lighting II JSF is what we need. While it does not have the range we would like, it is an improvement over the FA-18. When you consider its stealth/low profile with its greater range and its longer attack distance this airframe will do nicely, at least until something better is developed.

10 Sqds of F-35C CV Lightning II JSF ordered.

Air to Ground
When considering this we look at range as well as attack values. We must also consider what is available right now as opposed to what will be available in the future. It is decided to use the FB-111G Aardvark as a short term fill until the FB-22 enters service. The FB-111 has great range and nice ground attack even before you consider its missile payload.

10 Sqds of FB-111 ordered.

Navy – 10 fabs

Carriers – The single most important value on a Carrier is its capacity for aircraft. We currently have 10 Fleet Carriers, nine being of the CVN-68 Nimitz class and one CVN-78 Gerald R Ford class. The CVN-78 has the greater aircraft capacity of 5 squadrons versus 4 on the CVN-68. It also has a greater cargo capacity, meaning it can sustain aircraft longer without need of replenishment. We currently have 8 Wasp class LHD and 3 Tarawa class LHA short deck carriers. This will suffice for now.

6 CVN-78 ordered

The key elements we look for in a naval surface warfare vessel is its mission range, air attack range, combat time, profile and Spotting distance. We want the ship to be able to handle air threats at a great distance, be able to carry ship to ship missiles and have a good sub attack. Upon review of our options we have decided on the DDG-1000 Zumwalt.

4 DDG-1000 Zumwalts ordered

Missiles – 25 fabs

Our goal for missiles are simple, the longest range/most damage with the quickest build time for now. It is important that we get the maximum “bang for the buck” we can at this stage. To that end we are concentrating on Naval launched anti-ship missiles. The AGM-84A Harpoon 1A is chosen initially as it has a build time of only 3 days. We will fill our inventory with an adequate amount then switch to the longer building 1D model, which has a greater attack range and higher damage but takes 7 days to build.

25 AGM-84A Harpoon 1A ordered on a continuing basis.

Meanwhile, other news was making headlines around the globe;
Jan 2020
3rd Israel declares war on Lebanon
5th Congo declares war on Lesotho , Angola declares war on Mali
6th Israel declares war on Iran, Ethiopia dows Guinea, Angola dows Benin, Angola dows Ethiopia
Jan 7 - Lebanon ceased, having fallen to Israel.

Jan 8th 2012
The U2 squadron has bedded down at Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei. Logistics have arrived and they are ready to start recon flights on 8 Jan.

U-2 Flyover reveals a Chinese Carrier Battle Group near the Spratlys. Upon review of the images it is determined the fleet consists of the following;

1 CAR CV-1

2 J-11B Naval Flanker

2 DDG-051B Luhai

2 DDG-051C Luzhou

1 DDG-052B Luyang 1

1 AOR-953 Nanyun

One can clearly see the missile launchers are loaded with the SS-N-2a Styx ASuW anti ship missiles.

So it appears the Chinese are indeed in the area in force. Luckily, they did not try to engage the U-2. It is very doubtful they even knew it was there. President Johnson and ADM Sharpe must now consider their next move.

Jan 2012

14th – India Declares war on China.

While the White House and the Pentagon are going over scenarios, the State Department tries to make headway at the UN. Amidst all the chaos, Cuba sees this as the perfect opportunity to finally remove the US presence from their island.

28th - Cuba launches a surprise attack against us. We order DEFCON 1 and institute Hostile Fire/Imminent Danger Pay, (Salary and Maint/train moved to max) Guantanamo is overrun and several aircraft and naval vessels are forced to flee. We lose one LPD-4 Austin to Cuban forces.

F-22s are scrambled to Key West, F-16Cs are ordered to Hollywood, Fla. SSN’s along the gulf and eastern seaboard sortie, along with DDGs and FRGs.

SSNs are ordered to each of Cuba's Ports with orders to destroy anything in the area or attempting to leave port.

For now, the word is containment. Cuba poses no great threat to us, but we do not want any Cuban naval assets to be roaming around where they can cause great loss of life and/or equipment. This, more or less, is a gift horse, as long as we can manage them properly. With them declaring war on us it gives us the leeway to move to DEFCON 1 and overtly increase readiness of all forces. This should not hamper efforts at the UN and should not appear overly threatening to China at this time. Meanwhile, we will use the status to move forces around, specifically Hawaii and the west coast. We have quietly ordered the construction of an Airbase and Naval Port on the Pacific island of Colonia. In the event we cannot convince some of our past allies to let us base in their lands and waters, Colonia will be a staging ground for air and naval forces. It is not ideal, but it is 3700kms closer than Hawaii.

Feb 2012
3rd – Indonesia, Taiwan and South Korea Dow China.
Last edited by GIJoe597 on Apr 05 2012, edited 3 times in total.

number47
General

Post by number47 »

Great read! :wink:
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

Thank you. I have been debating with myself about how much detail I should go into. For example, I do believe I will always try to add a few comments about why I did something or chose a particular route/weapon system. I have always enjoyed reading or hearing the thought process of others as to why they did this or that, it adds to the AAR, in my opinion. On a 2nd note, it is also possible someone new to the game or a potential consumer for SR is reading this and I wanted to show what I did as well as why for their benefit.

The down side is there are multiple ways to make the "game" work and still be successful. Taxes for example, I always prefer low taxes and recommended levels of Social Services. Some people prefer high taxes or low Social Services. Both will work in game so it is a matter of personal tastes. I have been questioned previously about the low tax rates I use as it seems it may be rather hard for some to understand the less money you take from people, the more they have to spend on discretionary items. :)

As far as video clips go, I will not use them exclusively as you can see, but I will try to incorporate them when I think they are appropriate or add to the feeling/immersion/wow factor of this AAR.

As always, questions/comments are welcome.
Last edited by GIJoe597 on Mar 21 2012, edited 1 time in total.

Tnarg
Colonel

Post by Tnarg »

I really enjoy your explanations on why you chose to make certain decisions and your incorporation of unit stats. It is fun to really look at stats and compare and contrast. Great read so far. I was wanting to do a US AAR along side my Russian AAR, but this looks like it will be hard to beat.

Looking forward to more!
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

Since you are the Supreme Ruler of the Russian Federation (and ally of the despicable Chinese), would you please send me the designs for the Yak-60, once/if you research them, thank you.

I am happy you are reading this, it is somewhat different from my usual style. I hope with the renewed interest 2020G/GC seems to be getting, a few of us can work up a serious multi-player game. I miss the weekly sessions we (this forum community) used to have.

Tnarg
Colonel

Post by Tnarg »

GIJoe597 wrote:Since you are the Supreme Ruler of the Russian Federation (and ally of the despicable Chinese), would you please send me the designs for the Yak-60, once/if you research them, thank you.

I am happy you are reading this, it is somewhat different from my usual style. I hope with the renewed interest 2020G/GC seems to be getting, a few of us can work up a serious multi-player game. I miss the weekly sessions we (this forum community) used to have.
Russian Federation Yak-60 Heavy Transport Helicopter.

GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

Feb 2012

4th - We have received reports of a US flagged Oil Exploration ship in the general area of the Spratly Islands. According to radio communications they are attempting to leave the area as quickly as possible. They have expressed concern over the Chinese Naval presence, but so far, report no contact with Chinese Forces. We are hopeful the People's Liberation Army Navy (PLAN) will allow them to leave peacefully.

This adds another level to the game the Chinese are playing. It is hoped they are not willing to risk all-out war over this area. Analysts believe China is simply flexing some new found muscle and now seems to be the best time. With a new US president in office, the US military being hamstrung for so many years, the Mexicans agitating along the border and our military force no longer stationed outside our own borders it would seem they have indeed chosen the right time.
The one point all are quick to bring into focus is the recent declaration of war on the US by Cuba. Some believe China will become emboldened by this action assuming we will have our attention drawn back to our borders and local matters. One of the more extreme scenarios being discussed is the possibility that Mexico is trying to rally key countries in Central and South America to its banner, citing what they and others claim are long standing “atrocities” committed by the US government against the “Americas”.

President Johnson asks the State Department to provide any relevant information on Central and South America. Specifically, which countries would be the most likely to enter into such an “alliance” with Mexico?

Holly Burton - Secretary of State
Sir, according to what we can discern, using various sources, Cuba topped the list. The following countries are all dissatisfied with us and would likely join such an endeavor for various reasons.

Venezuela
Nominally a Democracy, they are still ruled by what amounts to a dictatorship. They are currently responsible for 20% of our petroleum imports, which is a substantial amount of dollars injected into their economy each year. Especially when you consider the overall poverty levels of Central and South America. It seems sometime in the past, they acquired CITGO, one of the largest oil refining companies, as a means to increase their cash flow back into Venezuela. Now, they not only make a front end profit from the export of Petroleum to us, but they also make money via refining and selling it across the US.

Sir, with your election and your stated goals of taking us off Petroleum Power, they stand to lose billions of dollars annually. Even the loss of the very austere “welfare” programs they have would almost assuredly lead to mass riots and perhaps even a toppling of that government.

El Salvador
We are unsure why they harbor such animosity towards us, but it is possible it is has something to do with their 2004 elections …

Nicaragua
They still hold a grudge over us supporting the Contras in their rebellion against the Nicaraguan government in the 80’s.

Argentina
This one is straight forward, ever since the Falklands War, Argentina has harbored resentment towards us. There has been a list of small nitpick items they have harped on over the years, an example is the 2011 incident where they seized cargo from a USAF cargo plane.

President Johnson - Thank you Holly, please pass along our thanks to your staff also.

ADM Sharpe - Sir, in light of this information I suggest we preposition naval assets in and around the area. We should move adequate assets to Puerto Rico, both naval and air units.

President Johnson - That seems prudent, but let’s not get tunnel vision on the Caribbean, our primary focus should still be China. Have we heard anything about that Oil Exploration ship yet?

ADM Sharpe - No sir. Nothing at all after their last message.

President Johnson - ***moves to the edge of his chair and leans forward*** Clark, see what you can find out, so far China has not harmed any US Citizen or directly engaged us. I keep thinking about the U2 fly over. Did they not react because they did not know it was there, or are they really just testing my mettle? It all hinges on that ship, if they actively engage or impede it in any way, it constitutes an Act of War.
Last edited by GIJoe597 on Mar 21 2012, edited 1 time in total.

GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

NEWS FLASH! NEWS FLASH! NEWS FLASH!

We interrupt your normal programing to bring you this breaking news.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVfXGHl679w

number47
General

Post by number47 »

GIJoe597 wrote:NEWS FLASH! NEWS FLASH! NEWS FLASH!

We interrupt your normal programing to bring you this breaking news.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVfXGHl679w
Awesome!!!! 8O 8O
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Return to “After Action Reports”