Macedonia - Restoration of an Empire

Share your stories of conquests and leadership successes.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

GIJoe597
Board Admin
Human: Yes

Re: Macedonia - Restoration of an Empire

Post by GIJoe597 »

Ahh I knew that at one time..

I implore you all to never start a game when on Valium and Hydrocodone. You do things and have no memory of them if you do not get proper sleep. At any rate I consider this game a bust as this is the Volatility: NONE I can only assume I meant to have it at VERY HIGH and moved mouse down instead of up.

I will soon start a new game with correct settings and try again. Apologies.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
number47
General

Post by number47 »

GIJoe597 wrote:I implore you all to never start a game when on Valium and Hydrocodone. You do things and have no memory of them if you do not get proper sleep.
[_]O :D
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

As I posted elsewhere, I got side tracked by a different game where China with one ally Russia, is rampaging through Europe.

GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

дел два

Starting settings
World Volatility: Very High
Mil Diff: Very Hard
Economic Diff: Normal (I initially set this to very hard, but then considered how it would affect the AI)
Diplo Diff: Very Hard
Debt: On
Hot Relations: Very High
Fog of war: on
Enhanced spot/range: Off
Resources: Abundant
Initial Funds: High
Approval Affects: High
3rd party: on
Crit UN: on
Allow Gov change: on
No tech trading or actively seeking units to buy.

1 Jan 2020

The Financial and such is exactly the same as original start, so you can read back there.
Everything will be the same with research and my goal is still to sell water to Saudi Arabia for income.
Basically everything previously posted up to 4 Jan 2020 will be the same as far as my decisions. With that all out of the way, here we go..

8 Jan 2020

Serbia DOWs

By this time we have every town/facility garrisoned. We additionally have AT battalions entrenched in Kumanovo, Skopje (town and base), Stip and Kocani.

Aleksandar orders the deployment of all Inf units and Artillery. Currently we only have 1 Division as a fighting force, it consists of;

This is our mobile strike force, it will attempt to cut off any advancing Serbs, or at the very least hit them from the flanks.

9 Jan 2020

Before the freshly deployed units can be marshalled and placed into defensive positions the Serbians launch their attack.

First wave contains 1 battalion of tanks and 1 battalion of artillery.

The tanks foolishly rush headlong into battle, getting caught in a cross fire from our well dug in units in Skopje and Kumanovo. Aleksandar, seeing an opportunity, orders 1st Div to rush into the Serbian town of Vranje. This will cut the supply lines of the Serbs and put us in the perfect position to ambush them as they try to return home, it will also give us advance warning of more Serbs inbound and allow our forces to dig-in, in a supplied location. Urban warfare will be what we strive for, none of this meeting out in the open for we must win a war of attrition.

We advanced just 16km before meeting another Serbian ground unit which was effectively holding up our advance to allow the heavily mauled T-55s to slip back to repair.

As we watch the tank column roll away in the distance we see another Serb ground unit arrive and take up a position with the BOV.

Never the less, we press forward. On the outskirts of Vranje we encounter more Serbian units forcing us to once again halt our advance.

Aleksandar orders the 1st Div to fall back behind our lines and let the Serbs come after us and hit the wall of steel that is our defenses. As we fall back we do manage to destroy the artillery unit.

As expected the Serbs, seeing what they believe is a rout, rush in with abandon. They meet the combined defensive line and melt. Already the first few units are disengaging and retreating. Meanwhile we have a couple of units of 1st Div in repair.

The unsuspecting Serbs rush west, along our defensive line towards Tetovo and lose a tank brigade. The remainder of 1st Div is ordered to attempt to cut them off again and push north out of Kumanovo this time completing the closure on a single tank battalion.

The tank battalion is destroyed, 1st Div pulls a 180 and heads towards Vranje again, destroying 2 Artillery units as they enter and capture the town. They immediately dig in and are met by an advancing Serb tank column supplied by air and supported with a Helo. As they meet the new challenge an AT battalion is ordered into the city to take up defensive positions.

The Serbs break, we press the attack and move into Leskovac. Aleksandar is determined to not let them mount a sizeable attack, we must keep them off balance and force them to react to us, rather than dictate the battles. We press on, the Barracks at Nis in sight. As we approach the city/barracks defensive units explode into life and tracer fire streams past us.

We do not want to stay here and fight out in the open, Aleksandar orders a BTR-80 and a T-72 from Kopje barracks to take up position in Lekovac. Once they arrive 1st Div will fall back to the city also.

1st Div falls back to Lekovac where they entrench. Several battalions are sent back for repair and a Milan AT unit is ordered up to bolster the defense of the city.

24 Jan 2020

We are at a stalemate at Leskovac, we currently cannot advance and they cannot dislodge us. With the Serbs concentrating on the city, Aleksandar see another opportunity, he calls in both helo assets to hit the distracted Serbs in the flanks and we are able to destroy a tank and arty battalion.

9 Feb 2020

Still a stalemate, we are now experiencing massive shortages of Ind. goods and Military goods and we are down to $39M in the treasury. Combat is almost at a standstill but a mid sized Mil Goods factory should be coming on line within a week. We are forced to stop production of units and turn off research. We drop to DEFCON 3 but keep max Pay and Maint/Train for now.

16 Feb 2020

We manage to capture an Ore Mine and the city of Pirot. The Ore mine will be a welcome addition as we have no Ore deposits in our territory.

18 Feb 2020

Mil Gds factory completes, we now have a slight excess, now to turn on the repair of the captured Ore mine. We had it on pause to save money.

19 Feb 2020

First time I have had to look around the map. It seems Bosnia Herzegovina is making a move on the Serbian capital.

We proceed to press on Nis again and do a pincer movement isolating the town from the rest of the supply network. In the process we manage to kill several arty units and a couple of AA units.

Unfortunately the town is fully garrisoned and has additional units present, this may not be possible.

24 Feb 2020

We finally destroyed all the garrison units and are starting on the AA units when an M-84 tank joins the battle. Unfortunately we have already had to order several units to repair and lost one. We may have to withdraw and reorganize.

25 Feb 2020

We are forced to move back to our lines and regroup, out of the 10 attacking units only 4 are left in good condition.

Sending so many units to repair at once has us back in the red; we are down to $7M in the treasury from a high of $52M just days ago.

9 Mar 2020

The Ore mine completes, this is very good news as Ore has been a production delay for Mil Goods.

22 Mar 2020

There has been no action in sometime and we are still short of Military Goods, a daily shortage of 600 tons. This is killing the treasury as Global Market prices are $242,741. We order 1st Div into reserve and will rely on the Garrisons to alert us of any trouble. We must build up our treasury as we need to construct a full size Military Goods plant.

24 Mar 2020

As soon as my forces enter reserve, guess what happens?

ra100
Sergeant

Post by ra100 »

glad to see you're 'back in business' with macedonian empire.at this point it could be a bigger challenge than uk vs the russians.however we expect news from that front ,too.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Well, I did warn you about volatilities. :P

Very high is a bad choice for Macedonian empire because of three things:
1st, Serbia attacks you within the first month,
2nd, Grece will attack you within few months,
3rd, (if you survive long enough to conquer Serbia :D ) Serbia will be at war with all its neighbours on very high volatility which means in case you win, you'll get just a portion of the land for your self while Bosnia, Hungary, Romania and Bulgaria will take the rest (majority).

Why is high volatility better?
1st, Serbia will not attack you before june or even later (more time for preparation)
2nd, Serbia will not attack any of it's neighbours (more potential gains if you win but also more units focusing on you)
3rd, Greece will never attack you (unless you raise their cb to a higher level)

If this iteration of "Restoration of Macedonian Empire" ends up in flames, maybe start on high? :D
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

ra100 - Thank you, it is indeed a welcome challenge, at the very least it is not boring. With UK/Russia I am fairly confident in my island defenses, regardless of what happens on the far flung battlefields of the world I know I can withdraw to the Home Islands and rebuild to start anew. As Macedonia I am land locked, potential enemies on all sides and no where to hunker down. (I did also update the UK/Russ conflict, maybe you missed it?)

number47 - I do not mind the Very High setting at all. If Aleksandars dreams are dashed, so be it, he will not roll over with out a fight! The challenge is the fun. Besides, how often do you read an AAR where the "hero" fails? I hope this will not be one, but....

number47
General

Post by number47 »

GIJoe597 wrote:number47 - I do not mind the Very High setting at all. If Aleksandars dreams are dashed, so be it, he will not roll over with out a fight! The challenge is the fun. Besides, how often do you read an AAR where the "hero" fails? I hope this will not be one, but....
True, I have nothing against AAR or movies where hero doesn't make it in the end but I don't want the hero to fail in the first 10min of the movie... :lol:
Anyway, good luck. I'm eagerly expecting further updates. (here and "there") :wink:
georgios
Brigadier Gen.

Post by georgios »

And what happened with the Greeks?
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

You will have to wait till next update to find out.

number47
General

Post by number47 »

GIJoe597 wrote:You will have to wait till next update to find out.
And when can we expect the next update?

GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

Hopefully anytime between now and 10 days from now.

georgios
Brigadier Gen.

Post by georgios »

It is not expected from FYROM to beat Greeks in the next 10 days..
ra100
Sergeant

Post by ra100 »

I don't expect GIJoe ,also , to defeat Greece , with what army he has now in 10 in-game days.However , GIJoe was talking about updates and 10 days IRL , time more than enough for him to take all of Europe , if he wants.
georgios
Brigadier Gen.

Post by georgios »

It also very dangerous to receive an attack from Greece because FYROM is the first target of the Greek campaign with enough casus beli to feel free to attack.

And is impossible to withstand such an attack from Greece.

Serbia was an easy opponent because had war with all world.

The only hope with Greece is if it has war with Turkey and Albania together.

Return to “After Action Reports”