Russia map has too many unlikely political systems!:(dem)

Discussion on Supreme Ruler 2010 Scenarios

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Commie
Lieutenant

Russia map has too many unlikely political systems!:(dem)

Post by Commie »

Just think that there are far too many democracies and nowhere near enough dictatorships and even communist-style governments on the Russia map.

Maybe it was done for play balance and to make things a bit more challenging for Moscow to re-create the Soviet Union, but really the political ideologies are far too unlikely.

At the very least, the Central Asian and Caucasus republics should be much less democratic. Turkmenistan already has a cult dictatorship that makes Kim Jong Il look like a liberal, and we all know what Karimov did in Uzbekistan. And who can suggest that any leader of North Caucasus trying to unite fierce tribes that have a history of bloody conflict with each other would be anything less than a hard man? Faced with economic crisis and breakups I doubt that even more democratic regimes like in Georgia wouldn't resort to harsher measures in a crisis.

Around Moscow, I'm sure there would be a lot of sympathy for communist governments and so many regions would turn to that as well BUT IN THE INTERESTS OF GAME PLOT, it's fine to limit communism to Moscow, to make it the 'crusading' area seeking to rejuvenate the Soviet Empire!

The ONLY obvious candidate I see for DEMOCRACY is St Petersburg as it has traditionally been the most Western influenced of Russia's regions and it's position would make it most likely. It would also make a good rival with Moscow. Perhaps the eastern Siberian regions would be democratic too, mainly for gameplay reasons just so Moscow can face a St Petersburg alliance.

Most of the rest should be dictatorships. While I would thinks some would be communist, I think that should be reserved for Moscow.

This would give 3 ways to really play:

1. Communist with Moscow to Crusade for Soviet Union
2. Democratic with St Petersburg to make Russia a democratic Empire(contradiction!)
3. Dictatorship.

Right now there is no dictatorship at all and so at least one major Russian state alongside definite Central Asian and Caucasus regions should be dictatorships.
Legend
General
Human: Yes

Post by Legend »

Interesting...

If you say one state should be a dictatorship... then start a game and change your government type... then you can be the dictator. :lol:
Il Duce
Brigadier Gen.

General agreement with reservations

Post by Il Duce »

I basically agree that there should be a more 'challenging' assortment or government forms in this area - partly on the assumption that statesmanship would be more challenging, but then that assumes that either the State AI is stronger [which I gather from other readings, it is not at this time], or that you are very hands-on in statesmanship - which I generally like to be, assuming that the vehicle is gassed up to go there. [must have petro shortages on my mind.]

On the other hand, considering the reality that we are abstractly modelling here, most real-world 'democracies' are rapidly becoming police states [gee, now who would that be?], and I suppose that a realistic assessment of my play style in this game would merit me a dictatorship label [hence the Il Duce moniker], even though I am running a 'democracy.' So I have to assume that the AI's running the other states are also ranging widely from the 'democracy' ideal [this seems to be the case]. Guessing what kind of governments you are trying to negotiate with is certainly part of the charm of this game: so far, though I am but a newbie, they continue to surprise me with ultimately understandable but temporally bizarre diplomatic responses [or is it just me?].
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously [but otherwise, they do not worry and are happy].
CptBritish
Brigadier Gen.

Post by CptBritish »

Wat Commie Said...

:D
Supporting Nuclear Power in the UK.

Just because the Japanese happened to build one near multiple fault lines doesn't make them any more dangerous than they were before the Earthquake.
Legend
General
Human: Yes

Post by Legend »

What would cause a part of a country to become a dictatorship?

Here are the current political parties as found in the CIA Factbook.
Communist Party of the Russian Federation or CPRF [Gennadiy Andreyevich ZYUGANOV];
Liberal Democratic Party of Russia or LDPR [Vladimir Volfovich ZHIRINOVSKIY];
Motherland Bloc (Rodina) [Dmitriy ROGOZIN];
People's Party [Gennadiy RAYKOV];
Union of Right Forces or SPS [Anatoliy Borisovich CHUBAYS, Yegor Timurovich GAYDAR, Irina Mutsuovna KHAKAMADA, Boris Yefimovich NEMTSOV];
United Russia [Boris Vyacheslavovich GRYZLOV]; Yabloko Party [Grigoriy Alekseyevich YAVLINSKIY]
Igor_88
Corporal

Post by Igor_88 »

What would cause a part of a country to become a dictatorship?

Here are the current political parties as found in the CIA Factbook.
These are official pocket-like political parties, of the same origins (though, with different names and "ideologies").

However, don't forget, that there are several political movements in Russian society, which are not registered officially, or lost their registration (some examples: "Russian National Unity", different monarchist groups etc). They have different support in the society (from 15 to 55%) and have different ideologies and possible scenarios:

1. Nationalists come to the power, make a "nationalist dictatorship" in order to try to solve some social problems.
2. Restoration of the Russian-type monarchy, as it was before the revolution of 1917. But this may have an intermediate stage of number 1 in this list (before monarchy restoration).
3. Possible coming of communists to the power. Most probably, it won't work neither now, nor even later...
Il Duce
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Il Duce »

In sr2010, the discussion is almost moot, as the effect of government type is pretty limited. Demos get elections and are DAR sensitive, the rest are MAR sensitive. That's about it - no other effects on culture, econ, or, near as I can tell, diplo. You might want to check out the threads in the sr2020 development discussion to see if this will be changing in the next game.
Colorless green ideas sleep furiously [but otherwise, they do not worry and are happy].

Return to “Scenarios”