About reserves.

Have a feature request for SRCW? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

hoddized
Colonel

About reserves.

Post by hoddized »

Hi,

Will the reserves system be expanded in SR: CW? For example, being able to build/manually mark units as "reserve units" which go back to reserves when the defcon is lowered. And on a similar note, will the reserves manpower system be expanded, perhaps with conscription laws or some kind of draft system?

Sorry if this has been mentioned before, could not remember seeing such a thread.

Kveðja,
Höddi
Hundane
General

Re: About reserves.

Post by Hundane »

perhaps with conscription laws or some kind of draft system?
You can set your defense minister priority to increase reserves. The amount you recruit/draft/conscript varies from region to region due to different populations, military spendings, government types etc...
hoddized
Colonel

Post by hoddized »

I know of the minister priorities reserve feature, I just never felt like it was truly effective. I think most militaristic nations should be able, at least in a major war, to call up perhaps 10-20% of the total population.

Kveðja,
Höddi
michael63000
Colonel
Human: Yes

Post by michael63000 »

hoddized wrote:I know of the minister priorities reserve feature, I just never felt like it was truly effective. I think most militaristic nations should be able, at least in a major war, to call up perhaps 10-20% of the total population.

Kveðja,
Höddi
You know how long it is to send a bunch of dudes in motorbikes to call out men from their homes and force them into the army? It takes years, or decades if you want to conscript 10-20% of the population.
hoddized
Colonel

Post by hoddized »

Hi,

I'm not talking about press-ganging an army, I am talking about recruitment by mandatory conscription. It goes something like this: "You serve in the army for, let's say, a year. After that time your are in the reserves for a number of years in case a war brakes out. Sometimes there is a mandatory re-training period over a few days each year you are in the reserves, just to keep you familiar with any changes in tactics or equipment.

Draft on the other hand is used in nations without a conscription system, it is more unpopular, but in the end most men show up when duty calls, through a letter, a phone call and, evidently, tough guys on motorcycles.
I always felt the "increase reserves" minister function was more like "put non vital units on low readiness and lets go on an ad campaign, try to lure people in." Not the methods used during a severe military crisis.

P.s. If we look at the mobilizations of the great powers during world war 1, it was a matter of days, in the worst case weeks, to bring millions of men under arms.

Kveðja,
Höddi
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Conscription happens already but behind the scenes based on the ministers priorities and assessment of your rate of reserves growth.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
michael63000
Colonel

Post by michael63000 »

Balthagor wrote:Conscription happens already but behind the scenes based on the ministers priorities and assessment of your rate of reserves growth.
Behind the scenes sucks though, why not make it in the scene?
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Because not everything should be in front of the scenes. We have a specific balance we're tracking on the quantity of micromanagement. It was visible in SR2010 and added nothing to gameplay.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
sirveri
Colonel

Post by sirveri »

Balthagor wrote:Because not everything should be in front of the scenes. We have a specific balance we're tracking on the quantity of micromanagement. It was visible in SR2010 and added nothing to gameplay.
To be fair we could modify it so we were conscripting either 16 or 14 year olds (I forget which), and women. That always amused me...

It would be nice if we could set a target number for reserves that we wanted to hit and then had the system try and get there within a set amount of time depending on how quickly you can grow. Which leads me to believe it might be simpler to just turn the old 2010 system back on. Main thing I want is to get the ability to increase my rate of reserves procurement (I normally just set wages to max and hope everything works out).
- Dave
---------------------
Will mod for food!
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

sirveri wrote:...Main thing I want is to get the ability to increase my rate of reserves procurement...
When you have the minister priority on, he is growing it as fast as the game model allows. You can't just increase the size of your reserve pool overnight, it's a long term project by design.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
sirveri
Colonel

Post by sirveri »

Balthagor wrote:
sirveri wrote:...Main thing I want is to get the ability to increase my rate of reserves procurement...
When you have the minister priority on, he is growing it as fast as the game model allows. You can't just increase the size of your reserve pool overnight, it's a long term project by design.
Well this I understand...

I guess what I'm wondering is that if I give an order to the minister, I should be able to duplicate what he does by myself, but I don't know if that's actually possible or not without having more options inside the engine to change. I don't think the minister is changing options that I can't change but I'm not really sure. Maybe a tool tip that says how he does it? I dunno...
- Dave
---------------------
Will mod for food!
hoddized
Colonel

Post by hoddized »

Balthagor wrote: When you have the minister priority on, he is growing it as fast as the game model allows. You can't just increase the size of your reserve pool overnight, it's a long term project by design.
In a country like Germany, for example, 420.000 thousand men reach military age annually, and perhaps 350.000 are fit for service and could serve as conscripts. If you would increase, by changing laws, the time one has to be in the reserve force from 0 to 5 years, you would almost instantly gain a reserve manpower pool of 1,750,000 trained men who are former conscripts, because Germany has had conscription for decades.

Kveðja,
Höddi
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

hoddized wrote:
Balthagor wrote: When you have the minister priority on, he is growing it as fast as the game model allows. You can't just increase the size of your reserve pool overnight, it's a long term project by design.
In a country like Germany, for example, 420.000 thousand men reach military age annually, and perhaps 350.000 are fit for service and could serve as conscripts. If you would increase, by changing laws, the time one has to be in the reserve force from 0 to 5 years, you would almost instantly gain a reserve manpower pool of 1,750,000 trained men who are former conscripts, because Germany has had conscription for decades.

Kveðja,
Höddi
remember that although 420k may be fit for service, quite a number of them might have skills that are useful to industry, and therefore would not be conscripted due to those skills being needed to perhaps make your weapons, just like Guderian said that countries should make sure they do not conscript their industries fitters as it would be detrimental to said industry.
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

sirveri wrote:...
the minister is changing some things the player doesn't have access to directly. You access them by giving the priority. That priority does nothing else.

If you put a button called "turn on conscription", in the code all it would do is trigger the priority...
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
sirveri
Colonel

Post by sirveri »

Balthagor wrote:
sirveri wrote:...
the minister is changing some things the player doesn't have access to directly. You access them by giving the priority. That priority does nothing else.

If you put a button called "turn on conscription", in the code all it would do is trigger the priority...
It's basically for those people who HATE the AI. I hate all AI, almost always, so I never let them do anything... now to go play with settings...
- Dave
---------------------
Will mod for food!

Return to “Suggestions - SRCW”