What units do you think need/deserve different 3D model?

Have a feature request for SRCW? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

number47
General
Human: Yes

What units do you think need/deserve different 3D model?

Post by number47 »

Balthagor wrote:You could start a new thread about units who's meshes ppl suggest we change, either to a different existing one or that ppl say is significant enough that it should get it's own model added...
I'm starting this thread (as Balthagor suggested :D ) to see what you think.

So, lets start:
Are there units that need different 3D model?
Do you think there is existing ingame 3D model that would represent that specific unit better?

NOTE: please, don't go overboard with suggesting new meshes for everything :lol: :lol: :lol: .
Suggest new 3D model only if there are no ingame models that could represent the unit better or the unit is far too important for the era to be ignored (has historical value) :wink:

P.S. maybe we could even add poll if this thread fosters any interest 8)
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Re: What units do you think need/deserve different 3D model?

Post by Balthagor »

Also worth mentioning, some models we intended to add didn't get done for lack of blueprints. We need one of those top/side/front images at high res to be able to make the model of decent quality.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

The british cruiser tanks, they all look like t34's. Only need one model for the cruiser tanks, so many go for a mesh based on the cromwell or the comet.
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

I don't like that guerrillas wear Uniforms.. kind of the anti-thesis of an army of irregulars. :wink: (no mesh needed.. new texture though)

Wayy [_]OT But I wish guerrilla warfare was improved somehow. Vietnam would have been easy if all the vietcong both wore uniforms and were easily identifiable as the enemy.... :D
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Balthagor wrote:Also worth mentioning, some models we intended to add didn't get done for lack of blueprints. We need one of those top/side/front images at high res to be able to make the model of decent quality.
Found great site for blueprints although it is mostly for WWII equipment (could use it for Sherman, M24 or M26?): http://www.tarrif.net/ :D

But it would help if you could provide info for which units did you lack the blueprints so I could go hunting (instead of spaming the thread with blueprints you are never gonna use :lol: :lol: ) :wink:

EDIT: also good link: http://www.the-blueprints.com/blueprints/
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Balthagor, should this thread be moved to development or should it stay here? Somehow I think more people would see it in development section but I'll leave decision to you :wink:

P.S. I'm almost finished with my research on this topic so I'll post my findings soon :D
farrellmeister
Lieutenant

Post by farrellmeister »

would it be possible to equip different infantry with different weapons, seeing all of NATO with AK-47s seems slightly odd.
Draken
General

Post by Draken »

farrellmeister wrote:would it be possible to equip different infantry with different weapons, seeing all of NATO with AK-47s seems slightly odd.
What about Green Berets for, well, Green Berets? Maroon for Paratroopers...etc...

:)

Cool idea but I prefer the that Goats spend time on adding new old features like training ... [_]O [_]OT
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"
-
-
It is hard to free fools from the chains they revere.
Voltaire
Jack8765
Sergeant

Post by Jack8765 »

This is a little backwards but there is already a model fore the Avro Vulcan in the game but the unit itself isn’t, seems odd to go to the effort of making a model for a unit and then not use it so I’m guessing it was just missed out.

On another point the Westland Wyvern doesn’t use the Wyvern model and the F86 Sabre doesn’t use the sabre model.
flashy
Lieutenant

Post by flashy »

Jack8765 wrote:This is a little backwards but there is already a model fore the Avro Vulcan in the game but the unit itself isn’t, seems odd to go to the effort of making a model for a unit and then not use it so I’m guessing it was just missed out.

On another point the Westland Wyvern doesn’t use the Wyvern model and the F86 Sabre doesn’t use the sabre model.
i was quite disappointed about the Vulcan and strongly feel it should be included

i notice an issue with some of the tankers, for instance the TU-22 Blinder tanker doesn't use the TU-22 Blinder model, it's a 767 or A330 or some ****
Chesehead
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Chesehead »

Perhaps a different mesh for the Slave CGN? It's currently some gun cruiser type thing which is a bit misleading and I have gotten it confused before.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Well, I'm done with research and now it is time to present my findings an suggestions. The funny part is I'm not sure how to present it in the most "non complicated" way :lol:

I decided to make my first post just an overiview of countries and their tanks that I believe deserve a unique or better representing model.
Here goes nothing.... :-?

USA
-M4 Sherman variants (1 new mesh for all Sherman veriants)
-M24 (1 new mesh for all M24 variants)
-M26 (1 new mesh)
-M41 (for all variants use M24 mesh if you decide to make one)
-M46 (use M26 mesh if you decide to make one)
-M47 (use M26 mesh if you decide to make one)
-M48 (pic number 93 is ok for all variants)
-M103 (1 new mesh for all variants)
-M60 (pic number 93 is ok for all variants)

France
-AMX 30B (new mesh)
-AMX 13 (pic number 165 for all variants) **there are many other units that use pic number 165 but I think that all AMX-13 variants and SK-105 are the only units that should use this very specific tank design. Suggestions for those that need other mesh than AMX-13 will come at some later stage (depending on the level of acceptance of these primary suggestions)

Germany
-Leopard 1 (1 new frankenmesh :lol: ) this would require only different turret as the current one look too much like Merkava
-Tiger II (1 new mesh) - beeing created by ragu
Italy(connected to Germany section)
-OF-40 (for all variants use new Leopard 1 frankenmesh if you decide to make one)

UK
-Centurion A41 (1 new mesh for all Centurion veriants)
-Cheftain FV4201 (1 new mesh or just new turret as the current russian turret looks wrong)

USSR
-IS-2,3,4,6,7 (generaly against countries using opponents meshes but open for discussion regarding the necessity of updating these units at this moment as they get phased out early in the game)
-T-54 (pic number 146 is good for all variants)
-T-62 (pic number 146 is good for all variants)
-T-64 (1 new mesh)
-T-64B Bulat (1 new mesh) 1985
-T-72 (for all variants use T-64 mesh if you decide to make one)

Arab/Pakistan(connected to UK section)
-Shir-1 Khalid (FV4201 mesh)
-Tariq Centurion Desert (use Centurion A41 mesh if you decide to make one)

East Europe(connected to USSR section)
-TR-125 (use T-64 mesh if you decide to make one)
-TR-85 (use pic number 146)
-TM-800 (this was western name for romanian TR-85 but I could be mistaken HUH )

Brazil/Argentina
-TAM Argentino Mediano (use Marder (pic 173) chassis and Leopard 1 turret if you decide to make one)

Japan(connected to USA section)
-J-61 (use M26 mesh if you decide to make one)

Since these are the units that will be used for the most part of the game, I belive that the current state where they all use the same 2-3 meshes is diminishing gaming experience. To add more diversity I ask you to consider the suggestions I made.
I'll try to narrow the need for creation of new meshes down as much as I think is possible (you'll be the final judge anyway).

Now I ask all of you to leave your thoughts on this. Do you agree with idea, don't agree, do you agree with suggested models or units or not. I really want to hear more oppinions :wink:

Note that when I say „new mesh“ it is not always entirely new 3D model built from scratch. We can use terms like
(at least for tanks) „new mesh“ for ones that would probably need completly new 3D model built based on historical blueprints; „frankenmesh“ :lol: :lol: for ones that can be improved with different combination of existing 2 parts (parts in question represent chassis and turrets); and
„new frankenmesh“ for the units that can use one existing part and would require only the creation of other part (chassis or turret, but mainly just turret).

EDIT: blueprints for all suggested new meshes: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/54294796/Bluepr ... stions.zip
EDIT2: If some of the blueprints provided are too low res for you, say which and I'll do my best to find better blueprints :wink:
Last edited by number47 on Apr 13 2012, edited 1 time in total.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

flashy wrote:...i notice an issue with some of the tankers, for instance the TU-22 Blinder tanker doesn't use the TU-22 Blinder model, it's a 767 or A330 or some ****
I wasn't aware that Russia has Tu-22 version of air tanker HUH is that a hypothetical unit? I know they have Il-78 and few Tu-16 versions of air tankers and there were plans for 3M-T (Myasishchev) in the fifties but that was never realized...
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

number47 wrote:
flashy wrote:...i notice an issue with some of the tankers, for instance the TU-22 Blinder tanker doesn't use the TU-22 Blinder model, it's a 767 or A330 or some ****
I wasn't aware that Russia has Tu-22 version of air tanker HUH is that a hypothetical unit? I know they have Il-78 and few Tu-16 versions of air tankers and there were plans for 3M-T (Myasishchev) in the fifties but that was never realized...
A small number of TU-22Bs were supposedly converted to TU-22 RMs which although primarily were for recon could serve as a tanker and retained bombing capabilities.

I say supposedly because the facts on this are thin. I'm more inclined to believe this a piece of cold war propaganda that never died.
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
flashy
Lieutenant

Post by flashy »

number47 wrote:
yeah i think they misinterpreted 'refueling equipment' as a tanker mod when really it was merely the addition of a probe to allow the Blinder to be refueled. let's face it, it would have made a horrible tanker. i'd like to see the m-4 bison tanker

Return to “Suggestions - SRCW”