What units do you think need/deserve different 3D model?

Have a feature request for SRCW? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Fistalis
General
Human: Yes

Re: What units do you think need/deserve different 3D model?

Post by Fistalis »

SGTscuba wrote:
Fistalis wrote:It works its just kinda confusing at first.. I went through the same thing.
So how did you get it to work then? The python console output says its imported, but it doesn't show it anywhere (do I have to go into a mode? or open them from somewhere? any extra files besides the x I have to select?)
Make sure you remove any other objects before importing. like the default cube etc. Otherwise the model will be loaded inside the cube and you'll never see it. Sizing is a huge pain when going from blender to SRCW. I actually had Civ IV models working in SRCW but at first they were so big you couldn't see them (your view point was always inside the model so it didn't draw them lol)

If I had more patience and/or talent I'd do some models.

Edit: I just realized they took the time to model the propeller which is on the bottom of the unit and we can never see... :lol:
If your still having problems let me know I'll try to remember which program it is for recording and walk you through it via a video. Although Its most likely that your loading it inside the cube/sphere whatever which is why you don't see it. Or.. you need to zoom in.. the models are pretty small according to blender.

Edit2: Here no commentary.. just me importing a model. Really shouldn't need it but.. just incase. http://youtu.be/7N-95LaG4tc
In that example you'll notice I have to zoom in alot before I can see the model once its loaded. Also the python script is imperfect.. and the turret is lower than it should be.. but that can easily be fixed.

If you need anything else just let me know. I don't have the patience to do much art modding. (I might talk myself into doing some textures) So anyone who has the time/patience or talent I'd be happy to help in anyway I can.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

I've updated the wiki entry a little to mention DDS textures and that we can accept .3DS files also (although it may not work in some cases, for some reason not all .3DS files "are the same").

With SR-CW we began to move away from the class specific texture color but this was done inconsistently. There is no clear rule on that at this time.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Balthagor wrote:I've updated the wiki entry a little to mention DDS textures and that we can accept .3DS files also (although it may not work in some cases, for some reason not all .3DS files "are the same").

With SR-CW we began to move away from the class specific texture color but this was done inconsistently. There is no clear rule on that at this time.
Since they want it in .3ds or .Max the only good the .x does is for you to export and test in game and import to get a feel for their models. :lol: (unless you plan on releasing other models in mod form in which case .x would be required. Which is what I was looking at when I took the time to figure it out :roll: )
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

got it to work now, at least I can see what they did, thank you guys.
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Removed old post, since it was swinging way off topic and started a new topic for my modelling adventures.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

SGTscuba wrote:I have got the latest version of blender, but there is no option to export it as a .x file (there is a x3d and fbx however).
yes, there is...you just have to enable it in the options section...though you can only export in .x in the latest version :wink:

you can use Blender to import collada and then export to .x if you want to use googlesketch first
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

number47 wrote:
SGTscuba wrote:I have got the latest version of blender, but there is no option to export it as a .x file (there is a x3d and fbx however).
yes, there is...you just have to enable it in the options section...though you can only export in .x in the latest version :wink:

you can use Blender to import collada and then export to .x if you want to use googlesketch first
already done, just have to make sure you scale them down, and you have to merge the different meshes together once imported.

MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

MK4 wrote:if I were to pick just a handful of units to get a new model/texture I`d go with the following:

1. Tu-95
2. Su-27
3. Leopard 1
4. MT-LB
Actually, I`d like to add another point on that list:

5. SA-2 - it`s such an emblematic weapon of the period(covering a large part of it too) that the Patriot system like graphics don`t do it proper justice imo. I think it would be cool(time permitting of course) to have something looking like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Egypt ... 2_SAM.JPEG
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

MK4 wrote:
Actually, I`d like to add another point on that list:

5. SA-2 - it`s such an emblematic weapon of the period(covering a large part of it too) that the Patriot system like graphics don`t do it proper justice imo. I think it would be cool(time permitting of course) to have something looking like this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Egypt ... 2_SAM.JPEG
I might consider doing this one myself (maybe have it readily deployed perhaps rather then on a truck?) after I have finished the model I am currently doing. (could also be used for the hellhound missile (I thinks thats what the british missile was called)).

MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

SGTscuba wrote: I might consider doing this one myself (maybe have it readily deployed perhaps rather then on a truck?)
That`s a bit tricky. I`m not sure how such a thing should translate in SR/CW terms. For example the current movement type for SA-2 Guideline is 1 and that means "Wheel":
http://www.supremewiki.com/index.php/Movement_Types
Something like the MIM-23 Hawk has 4 which means "Towed (Wheel)". Whatever the difference is. :D Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me on this could say which of the two stances(already deployed or on the truck) is more suitable as a game representation since SR doesn`t have a feature where the weapon could show on a truck while moving and then on a fix platform while deployed.
Col_Travis
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Col_Travis »

Both the P6111 Albatros and P6121 Gepard should use the same skin as the P6141 Tiger, all three use the same Lürsen hull in reality.
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

MK4 wrote:
SGTscuba wrote: I might consider doing this one myself (maybe have it readily deployed perhaps rather then on a truck?)
That`s a bit tricky. I`m not sure how such a thing should translate in SR/CW terms. For example the current movement type for SA-2 Guideline is 1 and that means "Wheel":
http://www.supremewiki.com/index.php/Movement_Types
Something like the MIM-23 Hawk has 4 which means "Towed (Wheel)". Whatever the difference is. :D Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me on this could say which of the two stances(already deployed or on the truck) is more suitable as a game representation since SR doesn`t have a feature where the weapon could show on a truck while moving and then on a fix platform while deployed.
Isn't the towed artillery a bit too slow in this game? Towed arty tends to be towed by trucks in the cold war period. But here it creeps like it is being "towed" only by their crews.... :D they have speed of foot infantry...
Please teach AI everything!
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

number47 wrote:Well, I'm done with research and now it is time to present my findings an suggestions. The funny part is I'm not sure how to present it in the most "non complicated" way :lol:
First of all, great job compiling that list of tanks!

Secondly:
-T-72 (for all variants use T-64 mesh if you decide to make one)
Why? The T-64 has some distinctive features. To me it seems that if the T-72 doesn`t get its own mesh(ideally it should) it would be better of using the mesh of T-80 than that of T-64(if it gets a proper new one).
East Europe(connected to USSR section)
-TR-125 (use T-64 mesh if you decide to make one)
The point here being that TR-125 was based on the T-72 and should follow that in terms of the mesh used.
-TR-85 (use pic number 146)
-TM-800 (this was western name for romanian TR-85 but I could be mistaken HUH )
Imo TM-800 should just be renamed to TR-77-580(which is missing atm) and get different tech dates and a couple other stats changes. Both it(TR-77) and TR-85 can use the T-55 mesh(146).
Zuikaku wrote: Isn't the towed artillery a bit too slow in this game? Towed arty tends to be towed by trucks in the cold war period. But here it creeps like it is being "towed" only by their crews.... :D they have speed of foot infantry...
If we decide that in game graphics should reflect in game movement closely than the SA-2 should be portrayed as mounted on trucks, even though it would look a bit odd firing like that. Still, mounted is probably the best solution imo.
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

I will make the SA2 (rough looking model) on a truck which can then be also used for the bloodhound missile. So don't worry about it Goats (although it will have to wait till my current model is finished).

number47
General

Post by number47 »

MK4 wrote:First of all, great job compiling that list of tanks!
Thanks 8)
MK4 wrote:
Secondly:
-T-72 (for all variants use T-64 mesh if you decide to make one)
Why? The T-64 has some distinctive features. To me it seems that if the T-72 doesn`t get its own mesh(ideally it should) it would be better of using the mesh of T-80 than that of T-64(if it gets a proper new one).
Although I would like every tank to be represented with his own model, due to lack of "resources" (be it time, skilled people, or both) I suggeseted few models that could improve current variety (I tried to suggest one mesh for multiple units even though I'm aware some of them have quite distinctive features because Balthagor said they have very limited resources :wink: ). I focused on the pre '90s period so I figured, if T-64 is made than T-72 could use it's model (the differences are quite minimal although existant and distinctive; funny formulation, I know :lol: ) since ingame T-80 and T-90 models are partialy covered in reactive armour which T-72M and T-72M1 didn't have (only pre '90s variants present in the game). Ideally, eventually we would get someone to make/improve all the T-55, T-64, T-72, T-80 and T-90 meshes :D ...but that's just wishfull thinking :lol:
MK4 wrote:
East Europe(connected to USSR section)
-TR-125 (use T-64 mesh if you decide to make one)
The point here being that TR-125 was based on the T-72 and should follow that in terms of the mesh used.
The same reason I suggested it to use T-64 mesh that was also suggested for T-72 :wink:
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr

Return to “Suggestions - SRCW”