Simply the best but.....

General discussion related to the game goes here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

GeneralO'Connor
Corporal
Human: Yes

Simply the best but.....

Post by GeneralO'Connor »

I have been playing these grand strategy games for many years now! From Making history to HOI, from PS2 RON to AOD to Supreme ruler to name a few. Supreme ruler is without a doubt the best however there is one minor change that needs to be made!

The more units that get built, the slower the game gets. I start the game with no units to give me at least a few years at a good speed then after a while as the USSR and USA start to build, build, build and build, the game starts to slow down. There is nothing to be done about this. Sadly its just a part of playing the game. However, is this the case?

When playing HOI there was a setting you could alter in the editor. You could edit a country's non wartime military production. France had her peacetime military production set to 50 percent. Obviously in times of war this would jump to 100 but in peace time it was 50. You had the option to make this number anything you wanted, even as low as 1 percent.

When playing Supreme ruler you can build your military forces as long as you have the reserves. The reserves grow all the times as does your population so in theory you can keep building your army all the time. The AI does this for the USA and the USSR so after a while there is a huge amount of units on each side.

Lets say you place some code in the AI to limit a country's peacetime military production? Both sides could build to a certain point then stop. During times of war the AI would obviously jump back to 100 percent but once peace was declared, the cap would come back into play! During this cold war both the USSR and USA would both continue to put money into research and build their respective nuclear arsenals (as all country's could) but with regards to the other forces the peacetime cap would stop the AI constantly building military forces. This would increase the speed of the game exponentially!

How to workout what a country's peacetime cap should be? Just a simple mathematic ratio of how big the population is. Maybe if tensions are growing between a neighbor IE military forces building on the border or the closing of an embassy or a nearby war, you could increase military production? If you have a military dictatorship the level could be 100 even in peacetime?

This is however just a suggestion. I know these things are very hard to work into a game but the logic is sound!
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Re: Simply the best but.....

Post by Kristijonas »

You sir, should get thyself a Supreme Ruler: Ultimate. It runs much more smoother with many units. There are other advantages to it as well.
GeneralO'Connor
Corporal

Post by GeneralO'Connor »

Thanks for the heads up! I think I may have to do this. Thinking about the AI, have they managed to fix its strategy? I mean, a country declares war against you from another continent then just sends reams and reams of unguarded transports direct to your shores! A few ships and you could pick off most of the army!
Kristijonas
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Kristijonas »

It is better, but still not perfect. At least the AI now puts more effort in actually attacking. The never ending wars is still a problem though. The AI is reluctant to make peace or create new unscripted wars is another problem. But the good news is Ultimate is still being supported by Battlegoat so perhaps things will get even better.

Return to “General Discussion - SRCW”