Bow to your icelandic overlords!

Share your stories of conquests and leadership successes.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

iuvart
Lieutenant

Bow to your icelandic overlords!

Post by iuvart »

Always on the lookout for a nice challenge I started a game as Iceland today. All difficulties at high and very high volatility.
Just building up the economy and tech to a level where unit research and production was possible took years! At the start Iceland lacks even the 5000 soldiers needed to produce land units, not to mention air ones (and has no schematics for any). But after years of strong immigration and high salaries in the military I had enough to operate air and land fabrication facilities (one or the other, not both you greedy hack! :D), bought the C-74 Globemaster I schematics from the USA and built two of those. My target was to be Haiti! A nice ~3.1 m peons to work in the icelandic war machine virtually undefended by a measely 10000 troops (and interestingly I had 40% CB towards them).

So I also built ten units of Special Forces, flew them to Florida (can't make it to Haiti and back without landing) and consequently dropped them in the northern part of Haiti. Some laughable Garrison-resistance later the victorious Icelanders were marching on the capital Port-Au-Prince. Sadly, the loss of one Special Forces unit has to be reported from that fight. But after the capital had fallen the rest was simply steamrolling over a few garrisons with minimal losses.
Now Iceland has a population of 3.3 m (still a GDP/c of $ 13k+) and a new enemy to the east. The Dominican Republic is already looking mighty suspicious. And juicy.

We'll see if Iceland can conquer the world. Under my rule, that is. I'm sure someone has done it before already. :/

I'm also challenging myself to only build green power plants (the "Other" variety). No sense in messing up the planet you want to conquer...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
iuvart
Lieutenant

Re: Bow to your icelandic overlords!

Post by iuvart »

Victory!
Although it took a while to integrate 3.1 m additional people and get the economy going again, both the Dominican Republic and Jamaica have fallen to a combination of air dropped Special Forces and three Cont di Cavour Class battleships (which Italy was kind enough to sell to us)!
The next phase is well under way with research of the amphibious IOF-2 mechanized infantry about to start. Batista will have no idea what hit him once the invasion of Cuba begins. :evil:

After that we will hopefully be able to fund more than three research facilities and get ahead in the arms race with more developed nations.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by iuvart on Aug 05 2011, edited 1 time in total.
GIJoe597
Board Admin
Human: Yes

Post by GIJoe597 »

Are any of these countires aligned to one of the spheres? If yes, how are the Super Powers viewing your aggression?
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
iuvart
Lieutenant

Post by iuvart »

GIJoe597 wrote:Are any of these countires aligned to one of the spheres? If yes, how are the Super Powers viewing your aggression?
Since I'm already 16 years in and the USA sucks at keeping it's sphere together in Update 1 pretty much everybody is either leaning towards or aligned with USSR. Especially all the countries I have attacked so far.

As a NATO member I started out with lots of allies, chief among them the USA though their diplomatic rating towards me has dropped to indifferent so far (with 94% CB). The USSR absolutely hate my guts, but have not acted on it yet.

When I look at the atlas, everyone not allied with me has a high likelihood of attacking me, but so far nobody has done so. I'm actually expecting a massive invasion fleet just off my coast any day now since pretty much the whole world hates me. We'll see if I can manage to become powerful enough to ward it off before it happens (my guess is no).
iuvart
Lieutenant

Post by iuvart »

Well... that was easy.
Turns out I could have easily done this without amphibious or air dropped units. Just unloaded everything in the US-held Guantanamo Bay and then rolled all over Cuba. Once my infantry was closing in on the capital and the three battleships shelled everything around it to death in two days Cuba surrendered and was no more.

Now it is time to expand the economy to support 6 m additional people and finally build our fist oil producing facilities! No more importing 300 m bbl annually, yay! But after that I'm a bit unsure about how to continue. Invading the carribbean one island at a time is all well and good, but those are weak nations and easy pickings. I'm thinking middle or south america might be a good next larger target. But so far I can build no combat aircraft, no combat ships (still using those three Italy sold me) and the only infantry I can produce is the IOF-2. Any nation with a marginally developed army will crush my attack, so it seems a rather long period of technological development lies ahead.

Unless you guys have some thoughts and suggestions on what else to do next?
iuvart
Lieutenant

Post by iuvart »

Finally a new conquest can be reported. In 1974 Chile declared war on Argentina, giving us full CB to join in on the fun. It was a long and hard fought battle, especially with the dozens of units around their capital, but a year after the war broke out, Chile finally surrendered to Iceland.

Once again the mighty icelandic Navy proved instrumental in the war. While the battleships did their usual shelling of everything in range, the newly added FF-101 Tsunami frigates provided amazing air defence, practically grounding the enemy's dated but extremely large airforce. Many planes and infantry units fell to the combined fleet, making further investment into a strong Navy a certainty. New additions are a CVL-33 Sea Catcher carrier currently waiting to be filled with planes and the just recently developed FF-401 Yugumo II frigates, which will replace the FF-101s with even more powerful and long ranged anti-air capabilities.

As to further conquests, no plans have currently been formed, but Argentina itself seems worth a second look. Or a first invasion.
iuvart
Lieutenant

Post by iuvart »

Argentina was a pushover. It may have taken months of village hopping and supplying troops by air to cross the vast empty stretches between Chile and Buenos Aires, but never was there any real resistance. Attached is an image of the icelandic artillery forces (consisting of A-1SP 155mm units) pulverizing dozens of units of mountain infantry. The just finished ERFB-BB research just made it that much easier.
The same artillery then reduced the once great city of Buenos Aires, with 4 m inhabitants, to a miserable pile of rubble with less than half the people living in it. That was the end of Argentina.

With the troops now riled up and new borders just ahead, both Paraguay and Uruguay were quickly 'persuaded' to join the most advanced civilization on earth as well. Next targets will be both Bolivia and Brazil.
iuvart
Lieutenant

Post by iuvart »

Again, not much to report, although we just rolled up through all of Central America, up to Mexico. Iceland now owns all of South and Central America. The US and Canada will be allowed to remain for a while and the remaining small island nations aren't worth the time it takes to drop 10 units of Warrior Elite on their capital.

So allow me to present my next target (via a small detour of the UK):
yaron74
Warrant Officer

Post by yaron74 »

:o :o :o
iuvart
Lieutenant

Post by iuvart »

That's not even half of France's units. The rest are stacked to the east.
For the last few hours I have been in full blown World War III. Both the US and Canada are my enemies in Central America and in Europe I am fighting the UK, France, the Netherlands and Portugal, all at once. Good thing my units are far superior to anything they are fielding (even the Mechs are researching at the moment).

One thing I noticed though is that Iceland gets next to no units at all. Between the designs researchable at the beginning and the super high-tech stuff at the end there is next to nothing for the whole length of the tech tree. I'm researching tons of interesting sounding techs like phasers, ion cannons, cloaking, etc. but getting virtually no unit designs. Most troublesome for me is the lack of even a single one strategic bomber! No Squall, not ABL, nothing. Just the Warwick (spl?) bomber from the second world war. For my invasion of the british isles a nice Cruiser or BB would have been great as well.

Guess I'll just have to Mech-walk them all to dust. :D

Btw, this is Europe now:
Liustares
Sergeant

Post by Liustares »

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Seems that the French just went insane in this game :lol:
NEW AAR!
MEXICO: ASCENT OF THE EAGLE'S COVENANT

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 54&t=19004
Follow this epic series with captivating storyline!!!
CHAPTER 2 RELEASED!!!
CptBritish
Brigadier Gen.

Post by CptBritish »

Yea would be nice if they actually did anything with those units lol
Supporting Nuclear Power in the UK.

Just because the Japanese happened to build one near multiple fault lines doesn't make them any more dangerous than they were before the Earthquake.
iuvart
Lieutenant

Post by iuvart »

The sad thing is, France always ends up looking like that.

And as to doing something with those units... I had another game as West Germany with the AIResponse-mod, in which I attacked a France with ~10000 units stacked in its country. Once I moved at the border, all of those were shoved at me. Even outdated those units managed to give me one hell of a battle because my units just couldn't destroy them fast enough. Since the Capital (Bonn) is rather close to the German-French border they came very close to capturing it. That's about the closest I ever came to losing to the AI. ;)
CptBritish
Brigadier Gen.

Post by CptBritish »

Shame wish i'd have waited a week or so before starting my British game. Then I could have looked at the British Isles without death by lag...

Oh well I could always go your route and take Europe... lol
Supporting Nuclear Power in the UK.

Just because the Japanese happened to build one near multiple fault lines doesn't make them any more dangerous than they were before the Earthquake.
Boeing707
Lieutenant

Post by Boeing707 »

Haha, nice AAR so far. Looking forward to more! Maybe I should try my hand at Iceland.

Return to “After Action Reports”