World War III : The Joy of Very High Volatility

Share your stories of conquests and leadership successes.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

huyai
Corporal
Human: Yes

World War III : The Joy of Very High Volatility

Post by huyai »

I tried Very High Volatility for the "first" time this weekend and I wish I'd tried sooner. I discount the real first time, after I ran screaming to the main menu when Soviet Union declares war on everyone. I have to say however, that with my balls firmly reattached I decided to give it ago. Just to make things a little easier, I went with a major power, and obviously that means UK.

So biting my lip I started. Before even taking off pause I had spammed 20 - 30 diplomatic offers for alliances and mutual defence pacts. Slapped on the buy orders for Oil and Industrial goods that are the hallmark of the first moves for at least. I also immediately returned the Army in Germany in preparation for deployment in Korea.

So within 2 weeks the fleet is moving off to Korea and I have bits and bobs building at home. Suddenly the Soviets start declaring war. I rush the 1st Armoured division back to Germany, and as they have no army end up sending about 1/2 of the WW2 Era tanks and things to help stave off defeat.

By the time my own forces are deployed to Germany, much of the country is overrun. My troops drove to the border with Czechoslovakia whilst all available air-power was deployed to stave off the Soviet northern assault. eventually with the help of france and such, the Soviets are beaten back.

Taking the non-damaged units I started redeploying to Korea. Along the way I noticed that the bally Soviets have declared war on Greece and the "iron curtain" has pushed its way almost to Athens. I sold a few "Kangaroo" units that I had been building thanks to plans purchased from Canada. These staved off defeat long enough for me to deploy and drive back the Soviets. Thankfully Turkey was drawn into the conflict and they helped push the border back to Bulgaria.

Once again I set off towards Korea... This time Soviets attack Turkey in the East. I ended up sending air squadrons only as I was determined to help out in the known to be impending Korean conflict! I sold a lot of Kangaroos to the Turks and they eventually pushed the border back. As I am patting myself on the back, I suddenly find that Iran is also being assaulted by the cheeky Soviets - with all the action i keep missing the war messages! I therefore deployed a brigade of troops from Greece and sent the squadrons in greece and sold off even more Kangaroos after making a defence pact with Iran. Silly iranians also seem to have gone to war with Afghanistan which I missed too, but was sucking most of their combat troops with poor supply. Ended up selling supply trucks too. Eventually the Soviet push was driven back, but Turkey and Iran are still locked in a struggle against random incursions from the Soviet satellite states.

So most of the British Army is heavily damaged and so is the RAF, still I deploy a few Brigades of Kanagaroo infantry towards Korea. About this time, China has declared war on South Vietnam the French having sqaushed the North. This led to the most extreme International reaction ever and France, USA, Australia and New Zealand deployed everything they had and in the time it took me to get to Korea, they had almost conquered China. I then deployed my few brigades as near to Beiing as possible to get in on the action and make use of the new post war options available to us. I struck hard and fast, deployed just south and headed West so the main assault would be through my territory and thus "I" would have conquered the Chinese. The resutling liberation however brought about unexpected results. South Vietnam ended up with most of the country and is now the largest population on the planet! The PRC is now a democracy but with only 60 million people, Taiwan reclaimed the sort of Manchuria-ish region east of Beijing and for some reason UK ended up with 30 million people spread across Inner Mongolian part of China and to be honest, I'd rather not have it.

Soon after that, the "Allies" used this new territory of mine to strike into Russia and there has been a seesaw conflict across the Uda river (A few hundred kilometers east of Irkutz for those that want to look). All this took us to about July 1950. What a bloody 8 months or so! I never did more than deploy a few tactical bombers in Korea!

Suffice to say, wow this is an awesome game! Soviets are doing an amazing job considering they only have about 100million people at this point vs Britain, France, Germany and USA with perhaps 500million people and they only have about 30million in the remaining Eastern European allies. It would be quite cool if NPC countries could exploit their colonies a bit more. Ukraine could add a few troops and resources to add to the war machine no doubt!
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Re: World War III : The Joy of Very High Volatility

Post by Balthagor »

At what difficulty level did you try this?
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Post by GIJoe597 »

Very good read.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
tofofnts
Captain

Post by tofofnts »

This aar makes me think we need more very high volatility aars
"When I was young I thought that money was the most important thing in life; now that I am old I know that it is."
-Oscar Wilde
flashy
Lieutenant

Post by flashy »

are the us/soviet campaigns more heavily scripted than sandbox games where you would play as one of them? this sounds hilarious
SoB
Brigadier Gen.

Post by SoB »

In my game the USSR is not doing so good. The British on the other hand are playing almost has good has a Person. And NATO is attacking the motherland on three fronts. South Korea led by the Americans the area around finland UK navel invasion at lenengrand. And from Ukraine. Close to moscow. And poor me in North Vietnam has the french led push. I think the Reds may loose this war. If either China USSR or Vietnam falls then NATO would have enough free men to take out the other two.
You plastic soldiers i will turn you in to real soldiers

CPO Mzinyati

Return to “After Action Reports”