Brazil - A interactive AAR

Share your stories of conquests and leadership successes.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

GrimReaper
Lieutenant
Human: Yes

Brazil - A interactive AAR

Post by GrimReaper »

Since i saw a brilliant AAR on Paradox for Victoria II, i really got interested in doing one in this style,where you,yes YOU, can participate in the future of a nation (in this case,Brazil) as one person with power.Be it a senator,congressman,general... anyone that can fit in the context of the Cold War and alter this country. The rules will be (but you guys can do suggestions to balance it):
I,GrimReaper,will be the first president.
The president is under the congress (the congress interfere in the president's policies)
Yet one of you guys will be the president,i am the one who will be playing.
The president will pass to the congress what he want to do,and after the decision,i will play under those decisions.
Since the context is the Cold War,there will be three parties (fictional) for Brazil(they will change with time,and you guys can suggest better names):
Brazillian United Front (Neutral,where I,the president,will start,but i can change.)
Partido Democrático Progressista (USA Aligned,and the people who join it will form its ideology)
The People's Party (USSR Aligned,and the people who join it will form its ideology)
(Doesn't matter it's ideology,try to keep the parties balanced guys!)
The Brazillian democracy will be fake(if i can't win a election,i will reload to win it)
The Congress will receive the situation every three months,and i will give the president any information he ask,at any time.
The President will consult the congress when something declared important happens(you guys will decide what topics are important)
Only Brazillians can run for offices,and must be above 21 to run for congress,and 50 for senate(You guys must represent one of the Brazilian states,and have a typical Brazilian name.Surname can be foreign,and if possible,be something related to your forum name.)
No parties can be founded without the approval of the President( so we do not have 10 parties after a while.)
The congress,at all time,must mantain its decorum(I want you guys to RP.if you do not roleplay,it is OOC talk).
All the ministerial seats must be elected from the congress,and each party will elect it's president.(pretty obvious :lol: )

The parties and it's members:

Brazillian United Front: Amoretti (SoB)
Partido Democrático Progressista: Branco (number47)
The People's Party: Ricardo (Jax the Arisn), Rojas (Niko465)

Now the OOC rules:
Your characters must age and die,so we can have some renew.
If you are representing a state,try to bring every bit of investiment to your state.
And,above all,i want only IC fights.

Now i am open for ideas,and after all is settled,i will open the character entry phase.

Hope you guys join!

Edit:If started,the only thing that will make me stop will be update 3,if it will need to recache,or a really slowdown( i am having to wait about 2 and a half minutes for a day,and im still playing)
Edit 2: if one of you guys can make a would-be newspaper for Brazil,i will really like it!
Last edited by GrimReaper on Jan 10 2013, edited 5 times in total.
"The power of our enemies is what determine our own power." - Chinese proverbe.

Author and moderator of "Brazil-A interactive AAR". Current president Carlos Silva Grimarum.
GIJoe597
Board Admin

Re: Brazil - A interactive AAR

Post by GIJoe597 »

Interesting concept, but from what I have seen over the years, this community is NO WHERE as involved as the Paradox community. :( I do wish you good luck and look forward to reading how this plays out.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
farrellmeister
Lieutenant

Post by farrellmeister »

This seems really interesting, great idea! Could I join the USSR aligned party please? My characters name would be Renaldo Farrellmeistro, age 22. May i recommend chaning the name of the peoples party to "pessoas da frente de libertação" (peoples liberation front)
GrimReaper
Lieutenant

Post by GrimReaper »

@GIJoe597 yeah,i know,that is why i will not require too much people to start this AAR. 5-8 and i could start.
@farrellmeister ok your suggestion will be considered,if more people want to change it,i will.

Author and moderator of "Brazil-A interactive AAR". Current president Carlos Silva Grimarum.
Nic5071
Warrant Officer

Post by Nic5071 »

This sounds fun i wouldn't minded joining in. I would like to join the progressive party, my name will be Nicolau Gomes and i am 53 years of age
"you don't have to outfight your enemy you just have to outlast him" -George Washington
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Ahh, what the hell :roll: ...put me in as Pascoal Humberto de Souza Branco (I was always impressed by brazilian "long" names :lol: ), 30 years old, neutral. Can we shift parties along the way or do we need to stay in the one we took at the beggining?
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
GrimReaper
Lieutenant

Post by GrimReaper »

You guys can change parties at any moment,and if at any time a party reaches 0 members,it will be disbanded.

Edit:guys no need to present characters now,since i will show mine just for you guys to have a good idea on how it will be like,since i want this to be a RP AAR.

GrimReaper
Lieutenant

Post by GrimReaper »

Ok,since i already have some people interested to be a part of this,i thought some parts of the rules were quite tyrannical of my part.So i want to do some changes:
The president can be elected,the length of each term,how many consecutive terms someone can be elected and how the president will be elected to be decided.
I will be stepping down from the neutral party,and be participating as the supreme court,but i will be the first president.
Since we probably wont have 1 person for each state,you guys will represent 1 region of the following(their description will follow)

South:along with the Southeast,strong immigration presence.Here is where the Germans and Italians settled.Agrarian,but with a rising urban population.

Southeast:The urban,industrial region,where the Japanese and the Ukranians settled.Holds the capital

Center-west:The uncolonized region,with almost no cities.Extrativist economy,the same as the North.

North:The Amazon rainforest lies here.It's main city,Manaus,have been receiving subsides from the government to help it's industrial park.

Northwest: It is now a very poor region,since the end of the sugar cycle,two centuries ago.Lost it's wealth and glory to the Southeast.

I really wanted to step out of politics because i think i will impose myself too much in this,and it will be better if only assure the rules are respected.
Let me know what you guys think,if it is okay,or if i must improve something.

number47
General

Post by number47 »

South! :lol:
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
farrellmeister
Lieutenant

Post by farrellmeister »

north please
Nic5071
Warrant Officer

Post by Nic5071 »

southeast plz
"you don't have to outfight your enemy you just have to outlast him" -George Washington
GrimReaper
Lieutenant

Post by GrimReaper »

since we already have each party with a member,i think we can start the character entry phase,and i will be posting mine really soon(just deciding a name,it is hard to get GrimReaper in a surname :lol: )

GrimReaper
Lieutenant

Post by GrimReaper »

Grimarum.jpg
Name:Carlos Silva Grimarum

Background history:Born in 1886,in the small city of Jandaia do Sul,Parana,South of Brazil, son of Italian immigrants,was raised in a farm until he was 9.Always heard from his family that the land and what it gives is all everyone needs. Sent to the city of Curitiba to study,he saw another perspective,a urban perspective.He was enrolled in a religious school,what made him a fervorous religious.But this do not made him a priest,he always found the laws of God a bit...harsh for our time.Instead he took interest in the laws of the man,which made him seek the Federal University of Parana at the age of 30,in 1916.Six years later,he gratuaued in Laws and its applications,with good grades and a Honor of Merit.Was appointed as Judge of Parana and the Republic representative for the state in June,1925.And what a hell of years was to come in the next 15 years.In October of 1929,he lost 40% of his wealth in The Great Crash of '29.Worked hard to process all those bankruptcy declarations that came in the next two months.The elections of 29 will had pass him in blank,if it wasn't for a letter he received in december.In this letter,sent by Supreme Federal Tribune( the equivalent of the Supreme Court),informing that he was to recognize the campaign of Getúlio Vargas,as no other Republic Representative was deemed honored enough for this.Signing the letter,he was informed the the candidate himself,Vargas,was to be interviewed by him in January.This was the moment that would change his life.
376px-Getúlio-Vargas-aos-27-anos.JPG
When Vargas arrived at his cabinet,it was raining,and a cold fog was forming into the town,strange for a 24 of January.Vargas asked his name,and was promptly given his answer."Carlos Silva Grimarum,but call me on Carlos".And Vargas answered,with a firm voice:"You shall be treated and called as you deserve,and do not let anyone,even a president, do otherwise,Your excellency Grimarum".
Shocked by this answer,but with a quick response,he said:" your excellency can only be used in the Court,so,for the sake of formalities,just call me Mr.Grimarum,Mr.Vargas".

After about an hour of conversation,Vargas stood up and said:"Since the start of this campaign,no one have treated me in a equal level of honor,and you did that by calling me mister,and made me call you mister too.I admire that." Giving Grimarum a firm,strong handshake,Vargas left the cabinet.After signing the papers that recognized Vargas candidature,he locked his office,and left home.

In the next day, news were given around the country that destroyed the political situation.In a surprising move,the Partido Paulista confirmed the candidature of Julio Prestes,Sao Paulo candidate,instead of Antonio Carlos Ribeiro de Andrada,Minas Gerais candidate,with broke the "Milk and Coffee politics",forcing the break of Minas and Sao Paulo in the elections.Minas,along with Paraiba,made an alliance with Rio Grande do Sul,to elect Vargas as president.The people were expecting a close election,and in the first of March,1930 the elections happened in Brazil.No one knew who the next president would be. When the results showed up,it was a victory for Julio Prestes,with almost 60% of the votes.Both sides claimed that there was fraud,even the side that won the elections.In the end,for lack of proofs,the elections were validated,and Julio Prestes was the next president.
Retrato_Júlio_Prestes.jpg
In July 26, the fury of the Brazilian people was heard everywhere in the nation,as Joao Pessoa,Vargas VP, was assassinated by government agents.Vargas promised that he could not be forgotten,and the capital of Paraiba changed its name to Joao Pessoa.

In September,the president,Washington Luis,declared the "beheading"(expulsion of office and loss of political rights) of every congressman from Minas,Paraiba and Rio Grande do Sul.The answer was swift,as at the third of october, Minas Gerais,Paraiba and Rio Grande do Sul formed a armed uprising,and marched towards Sao Paulo.At the border between Sao Paulo and Parana,the batle happened,with a victory for the revolutionaries. Relying in the navy,president Washington Luis remained in power.

As the forces of Minas and Rio Grande arrived at Sao Paulo,in the 10 of october,Vargas made a manifest called" Rio Grande stands for Brazil" and took the train towards the capital Rio de Janeiro. At 23 of october,the admirals deposed Washington Luis as the revolutionary army was entering the capital,and seized power.At 24 of october,Vargas received its army at the palace,and as he complimented in General,Góis Monteiro,it started to rain,and a cold fog formed in Rio de Janeiro.

At 3 of November, 1 month after the start of the uprising,the military transfered the power to Vargas,as a absolute ruler. His first decision was to exile Julio Prestes and Washington Luis

On the first of January,1931 Grimarum was called to Rio de Janeiro,by the president himself.Arriving at the palace on day 4,he was greeted at the entrance by a smiling Vargas.As they both entered the presidential cabinet,Vargas said:"None of this was possible without you,i haven't forgot what you did for the revolution,without your approval,none of this would be possible."
Grimarum just replied:"the people did this,the people gave you support for the revolution,i just approved your candidature,which didn't gave you the presidency."
But Vargas didn't paid attention,and said:"I need to put this country in its wheels,i need competent people for this and i want you to rule over the Supreme Court".It was a dream for Grimarus,but he only agreed with the condition that,as soon as possible,Vargas should call the elections.

Two years later,Brazil didn't even had a constitution,which led to a revolution.Crushed by Vargas,but made the pressure to do it,and it was ready by late 1933.In 1934,Vargas was elected by the congress as the president until 1938.It was to be the return of democracy to Brazil,and for the first time ,a true one.But it never happened.

In 30 of september,1937,just 1 day before the elections, a plan was discovered,called "Plano Cohen", a communist plan to take over the power using terroist actions.At the same day,just 3 hours later,the congress gave emergencial powers to the president,which was used to ban the election,dissolve the communist party, constitution and the legislative branch,and impose a new constitution,that was already done.Feeling the smell of a planned coup,the Supreme Court didn't validated the changes.But it was for nothing,as Vargas held all three powers on him.The situation just got worse,as the new constitution was fascist,and Brazil was leaning towards the Axis.

At the August of 1939, one month before the expiration of the emergencial powers,the Supreme Court started its proceedings to remove them.All in vain.In the first of september,the war broke in Europe,which could means a renewal of the powers for Vargas by the legislative.Grimarum was one step ahead of this,and as the ruler of the Court,ordered the removal of powers.But the president was two steps already,and holding the legislative powers,gave himself the renewal,taking all the powers for himself for more time,and took all the offices of the Court,and ordering the exile of every of the judges,including Grimarum,which fled to Italia.

At the end of war,in 1945, Vargas said,to all the nation,that he was ordering elections,and giving total amnesty to everyone.This was the return of Grimarum to Brazil,and as the amnesty was total,he was again the ruler of the Court.At 25 of October,Vargas was overthrown,as the military thought that another coup was planned.This was the real coup,as the new president was Dutra,just a puppet for Vargas.

For the first and only time in history at this point,the recently formed United Nations intervened in the politics of a country,and ordered the resignation of Dutra in September of 1949.For the surprise of everyone,he agreed.No one in the congress could be the president,as everyone of them have the support of Vargas.As the constitution of 1933 determined,the new president was to be the ruler of the Supreme Court,in which case was Grimarum.Deemed honourable enough for the time he tried to strip Vargas of his powers,he was decleared acceptabe for the cabinet.In the first of october of 1949,he was declared the first president of the new Brazillian democracy,with the mission to do a new constitution for the 1 of January,1950.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by GrimReaper on Apr 11 2012, edited 2 times in total.

GrimReaper
Lieutenant

Post by GrimReaper »

I just made the background history this way to tell the events that made Grimarum the ruler of court,and the first president.You guys can just say the places you were born, and a part of your life.And i really would appreciate a summary of thoughts of the events during this turbulent era of Brazilian politics. And i planned for pictures of Vargas after the revolution,and of the deposition of Washington Luis,but i was limited to 3 pictures :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

And i declare the character entry open,and anyone can join at any moment during this AAR.

Sorry for not the double,but for the triple post here,and any grammatical error,since i am from Brazil :oops:

GrimReaper
Lieutenant

Post by GrimReaper »

sorry for the lack of updates,but it was my exam week,so,back to this AAR

Since i didnt have any character entry,even from the guys who showed interest for it(come on guys!),now i want the character entry,along with the following topics for discussion:
since debts will be always on,how i must determine the max debt?(gdp/c x a value or by the credit rating)
What will be the max percentage for taxes,and the minimum for social spending?
The president will be elected by the votes of the congress,or a percentage from the congress,and the remaining from the DAR?

And i want you guys to determine the difficulty,but the game will start with units,and critical U.N.

Determine this for me,and we are good to go!

Return to “After Action Reports”