fortifications

Share your stories of conquests and leadership successes.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

georgios
Brigadier Gen.
Human: Yes

fortifications

Post by georgios »

What is the real use of fortifications? They seem not to have the ability to fire against enemy. They seem only to resist demolition. But how this adds to the hexe's power?

Is it reasonable to mod them in baracks with much more resistance so to protect army in them at times of heavy bombing? I have noticed that if barracks are bombed the reserved forces take severe damage.
barkhauer
Colonel

Re: fortifications

Post by barkhauer »

georgios wrote:What is the real use of fortifications? They seem not to have the ability to fire against enemy. They seem only to resist demolition. But how this adds to the hexe's power?

Is it reasonable to mod them in baracks with much more resistance so to protect army in them at times of heavy bombing? I have noticed that if barracks are bombed the reserved forces take severe damage.
I believe the idea is to use them to block chokepoints with garrisons, entrenched artillery/infantry/antitank, etc. Given the staggering power of even small numbers of fighter-bombers though, I've never seen much of a point.
georgios
Brigadier Gen.

Post by georgios »

I have a question: the hex defence increases if it has more buildings or only the central complex contributes to it?
Samilou
Captain

Post by Samilou »

barkhauer wrote:
georgios wrote:What is the real use of fortifications? They seem not to have the ability to fire against enemy. They seem only to resist demolition. But how this adds to the hexe's power?

I believe the idea is to use them to block chokepoints with garrisons, entrenched artillery/infantry/antitank, etc. Given the staggering power of even small numbers of fighter-bombers though, I've never seen much of a point.
Fighter/Bombers are powerful? I find that they are near-useless except against lone or weak units since they are so easily shot down, unlike indirect fire capable strategic bombers. Any trick to using them effectively?
barkhauer
Colonel

Post by barkhauer »

Pick fighter bombers with >16km attack range, and use the air patrol command to have them swing by the target 2 hexes away. They will avoid 99% of non-AA-unit return fire this way.
Samilou
Captain

Post by Samilou »

Seems like that is a very risky strategy against active human players who will simply move their troops closer (not to mention they probably will have ample fighter capacity to intercept you with).
barkhauer
Colonel

Post by barkhauer »

The thread was regarding fortifications, which are by nature fixed defenses of chokepoints. If the fighter bombers cause the other guy to abandon the forts in order to avoid annihilation by fighter bombers that they can't shoot back at, mission accomplished either way.

Not to mention, the aircraft are faster than the moving troops, so you can just adjust the patrol points to nail them as they retreat.

Regardless, you just made that fortification worse than useless, as the guy had to pay to build them and waste troops defending them.
Anthropoid
Colonel

Post by Anthropoid »

Put an air defense node and an AA unit with long range attack and that is how a fortification is not useless.

No idea how much of a bonus they make to ground combat. What was that famous Roman quote? There is no fortification in the world that cannot be breached with enough money; something like that.

The idea of a fortification is generally a question of strategic cost/time. Fewer troops can defend the area and force the enemy who wants to make rapid progress to go around, else take up more time and resources to breach the fortification.
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

You can also garrison the fortification.
georgios
Brigadier Gen.

Post by georgios »

Is the garisson stronger if there is a fortification?
number47
General

Post by number47 »

georgios wrote:Is the garisson stronger if there is a fortification?
Fortification gives certain defence bonus to the hex and all the units fighting in it (as far as I know)...
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
georgios
Brigadier Gen.

Post by georgios »

fortifications are stand off units. this means that they must be destroyed before other buildings starting taking damage. so other more valuable buildings like barracks remain intact so that units have time to rejuvenate before re-enter battlefield.

Return to “After Action Reports”