Screwing up a Superpower--USA Playthrough of a n00b

Share your stories of conquests and leadership successes.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

GIJoe597
Board Admin
Human: Yes

Re: Screwing up a Superpower--USA Playthrough of a n00b

Post by GIJoe597 »

If that is the case, it would seem the original post/picture does not imply they were in his sphere, only LEANING towards his sphere. Seems reasonable that a country can still identify closer with one side or the other without actually being in that sides sphere.

nerdymidgetkid - maybe you misunderstood and no need to rage quit, or I am misunderstanding exactly what your issue was?

Either way, please continue the story.
https://www.youtube.com/user/GIJoe597

Older/retired gamers, who do not tolerate foolishness.
http://steamcommunity.com/groups/USARG
nerdymidgetkid
Lieutenant

Post by nerdymidgetkid »

GIJoe597 wrote:If that is the case, it would seem the original post/picture does not imply they were in his sphere, only LEANING towards his sphere. Seems reasonable that a country can still identify closer with one side or the other without actually being in that sides sphere.

nerdymidgetkid - maybe you misunderstood and no need to rage quit, or I am misunderstanding exactly what your issue was?

Either way, please continue the story.
Sorry, yes, that was a mistype. Guatemala did move from leaning on my side to non-aligned. Either way, the threat wasn't nearly what I thought, and after my invasion of the country I got a message saying that my UN rating had fallen to 0 and that I might get economic sanctions.
nerdymidgetkid
Lieutenant

Post by nerdymidgetkid »

EPISODE 5: WTF AAAAAAAAAARGH!

The time immediately after the end of the dictatorship scare was a golden age. Though there were some minor events, nothing happened to shake things up in any major way.
Some of the notable events of the period include:
------------------
In late 1955, worrying news came from China:
But since Denmark had gotten just as far about a year earlier, I wasn’t overly worried. I was now far less worried by the possibility of a Chinese attack—the attack likelihood continued to fluctuate for unknown reasons, but since nothing had happened so far, I was inclined to believe that nothing would any time soon.
In fact, the possibility of an attack by the USSR and the rest of the communist bloc was actually a lot higher than a war against China. With nothing better to do, I began scanning over the status quo with NATO’s defences. There was one thing that jumped out at me here: West Berlin.
Being in East German territory, the city had only three infantry units guarding it. In the event of a war, it would be instantaneously overrun.
At first I had simply considered this to be an unavoidable inevitability, but I soon came to the conclusion that the city could be an important position behind enemy lines in the event of a conflict. If

I could place sufficient troops there, the communists would either fully deploy on the border and run the risk of being attack in the rear or be forced to divert troops from the border, allowing for early NATO successes. Besides this, West Berlin was an important West German city, and they would likely lose a fair part of their industrial capabilities if it were to fall.
The main question then was how to reinforce the city before it could be captured. To this end, I decided to employ my Green Berets. The AI had gone crazy with them during my military boom and now I had over 100 units—very few of them actually deployed. Positioned in southern England, they could be immediately airdropped into Berlin at the outbreak of hostilities.
Christmas day came and went without any potential for ironic jokes about nuclear gift-giving, and in fact I was doing rather well for myself. Now in possession of over 500 modern tank divisions, 150 modern fighter squadrons, 150 modern tactical bomber squadrons, and 70 modern strategic bomber squadrons, I had pulled military production right back. The upshot of this was a dramatic increase in the size of my treasury.

With this new money I got into the ACTUAL Christmas spirit and ramped up my Asiaid program, which was designed to boost civilian ratings with Laos and South Vietnam by drowning them in money. I hoped that once their civilians started to like me a little more, I could start engaging in formal diplomatic relations.
Nothing much changed in the year or so that followed, with no major events to shake up the status quo. Then, out of nowhere, events began to unfold in the Middle East that sent my WTF AAAARGH! levels right off the charts.
Early events in the Arab-Israeli war, which for the purposes of this AAR will be called the Middle-Eastern Crisis (as though, in fact, its beginnings were scripted because it actually happened, the outcome is still to be determined at the time of writing,) are mostly unknown to me, mostly due to my astounding ability to misinterpret the game’s messages and lack of recon in the area. But as best I can tell, this is what happened:
THE FRONT
Israel declared war on Palestine; in response, Palestine launched an offensive against Israeli territory, gaining several key installations. This offensive was crushed by an Israeli counter attack, which forced Palestine’s surrender. (The message said that Palestine had “ceased to exist,” but it’s still on the map with the same borders as before the war, and still under the parent nation of Jordan, so I’m going to go ahead and assume that Palestine’s original government was destroyed and then a peace was settled allowing the country to keep its original holdings.)
Egypt also got involved, as well as the Suez Canal zone. The Israeli army quickly moved into the area, and the zone was annexed before Egyptian forces could counter effectively. However, the Egyptian army was now in the field in full force Israeli forces pushed south to engage, and from this point on I had scouts in place to observe what was going on for myself.
Thus began what I am going to label as the battle of Suez. It took place on two fronts; North and South.
The battle kicked off with the Southern front, with Israeli forces meeting heavy resistance as they pushed southwards. Meanwhile, a second Israeli force was in further North, flanking the Egyptian army.
The Israelis took heavy losses on the Southern front and were forced to retreat, but not before the Israeli troops in the North had pushed into enemy territory...

Meanwhile...
During the first few days of the war, I had been completely freaked out. Palestine’s very early successes, as well as the fact that Egypt had joined in, lead me to believe that Israel was in deep trouble. On the face of it, this wasn’t of great concern—I didn’t do business with Israel, and nor did I have any outstanding relations with them. However, there was the bigger picture to consider. Israel was aligned with NATO—Egypt with the USSR—and though my sphere had been doing well elsewhere in the world, I had recently become slightly concerned that the pact was expanding its influence in the middle east while I had paid it no attention.
As before, I overreacted. Fearing that Israel would be steamrolled within days, (it did not occur to me at this point to check on Google to make sure if any such conflict had actually happened in real life,) I took drastic and immediate action. Quickly signing a mutual defence pact with Israel, I immediately played a hefty hand by deploying 10 squadrons of B-52 Bs to southern England. (This was an auspicious occasion in itself; I had never previously had a B-52 in active service.) I prepared a force of 10 paratrooper divisions, ready to drop them into the Israeli capital, but as the news got worse I also began to assemble a full task force—about 20 batallions of motorized infantry and 10 tank units—in fear that Israel would soon fall entirely.
I was not far from deploying these forces when I finally started to realize what was actually going on. With proper scouts in place, I resolved now to watch the action and wait. While yet another major scare had been caused by my own ineptitude, the war is still far from over at the time of writing, and it could go either way. I’m going to assume that it will conclude as it did in real life, but I’m not letting my guard down yet. This game has surprised me enough already...

NEXT UP: The Middle Eastern crisis continues! Will our incompetent hero be forced to intervene?

NOTE: I've been having a bit of a playing spree lately, so I now have two more episodes after this ready to go. Stay tuned!
nerdymidgetkid
Lieutenant

Post by nerdymidgetkid »

EPISODE 6: OUT OF OPTIONS

Mr President,
The Middle Eastern situation, while concerning, is not nearly as dire as we previously thought. Despite early successes by USSR aligned forces, the Israeli army has so far managed to secure its borders and is currently engaged in combat in Egyptian territory. Despite their losses on the southern front, they have managed to hold onto a position in the North and are in the process of reinforcing their lines.
Currently, it is unclear which way the battle will go. The Egyptians have a large force positioned in their core territory, which is likely to move up to the front and engage the Israelis in the coming days. As best I can tell, the outcome of the war will be decided in the near future: either the Israelies will break the Egyptians around the Suez canal, or their offensive will fail and an Egyptian counter-attack is likely to follow.
If we are faced with the former outcome, I do not think that we need intervene, for whichever way the war goes after that, it is reasonable to assume that Israel itself will not be under the threat of annexation. However, if the battle of Suez were to be lost, I would recommend the immediate deployment of our paratrooper divisions to Tel Aviv-Yafo.
It is unlikely that our expeditionary force will need to be deployed at this point, as it was originally assembled with the intention of waging all-out war against Egypt, should Israel fall. However, I believe that it should be kept on standby for the time being. Even if things go in our favour, it may be prudent to consider establishing a permanent force in the Middle East to counteract Soviet influence.
Air strikes, at this moment, are out of the question, but I must recommend that the bombers remain deployed until I can at least give you more information. In a nutshell: things are better than we thought, but it’s best not to let our guard down yet.
Signed,
General A. Green,
United States Army

As usual, things didn't turn out as I had expected. The fighting continued in Suez for several days, but by the 20th, the Israelis had been pushed back.
With the majority of the Israeli armed forces soundly defeated, Egypt launched a counter-attack, with no signs of any sort of historically-accurate ceasefire. Every day as I watched the conflict, slowly having to deploy my scouts further and further back, it became clear that Israel was going to be entirely annexed.
Eventually, faced with no better option, I began to airlift my expeditionary force into Turkey, which luckily had enough bases to be a viable staging point for my forces in the region. All up, 20,000 men were deployed, along with the tanks, which had to be sent via the oceans. As the weeks wore on, and it became clear that Israel had very little fight left in it, I also deployed my B-52s to Turkey.
I held out as long as I could, but eventually my hand was forced. Either I would intervene or Israel would be destroyed. I signed a full transit treaty to go with my mutual defence pact—this was now completely and scarily real.
Faced with an ever-changing situation, the President has granted executive authorities to General Green over all forces in the Middle East.

Mr. President,
The Israelis are continuing to hold the road to the capital, but further Egyptian elements are now advancing, and it is unclear as to whether they will maintain their lines. I have ordered five motorized infantry battalions into Israel under the command of Colonel Shepard—he has orders to take up defensive positions within the Israeli borders and return fire if fired upon. All other elements are standing by in Turkey; ready to launch a counter-invasion of Egypt should you decide it is necessary. Received a message from Colonel Shepard yesterday:
‘New Egyptian forces closing on Israeli lines—enemy numbers are superior. Expect to engage by Christmas day.’
I’m still hopeful that our presence will be enough to deter any further advances by the Egyptians, but realistically that’s a 50/50 chance at best. Please tell Dianne and the kids that I am sorry I’ve been unable to contact—too busy.
Signed,
Gen. A. Green,
United States Army

My assessment was correct—this game has a morbid sense of humour, and things came to a head on Christmas day as Egyptian elements moved up to US-protected positions. The day saw a nail-biting series of advances and retreats, with Egyptian forces constantly trying their luck—advancing on the positions, firing a few shots and then pulling out again. Everything was on the edge of a knife, but by the day’s end, US forces had not come under fire.
December the 27th came with an interesting eventuality, as Israel captured one of my spies. The guy was actually on a RECON mission to let me see what was going on, but since I didn’t want relations to sour I hurriedly signed a line of sight treaty so that the spies would not need to be redeployed.
As the New Year came what little intelligence I had showed that the Egyptian land forces were pulling back, with no way to move forward without being forced to engage US soldiers. The Egyptian air force began now to carry out air raids, with the Israelis responding with their own aircraft. The conflict was increasingly becoming a series of skirmishes—Israeli artillery fired on Egyptian infantry, Egyptian planes bombed Israeli ground units, but nearly a week had actually gone by without any direct engagement by ground forces.
Luckily the Israeli air force, which was based far out of the enemy’s reach in Nazerth, was considerably superior, and managed to beat off the Egyptian attack within a day or so.
Unfortunately, in all this, the Soviets weren’t going to turn a blind eye. Though another week had gone by without incident, Soviet light carriers were sighted off the coast of Israel.
In response, I deployed 10 interceptor squadrons to Turkey.
The weeks dragged on without any sign that the conflict was going to be renewed. It was, in every practical way, an armistice, though it seemed that neither side was actually ready to negotiate. From what I could see, it mattered little—perhaps once the Egyptian air force was up to full strength again they would attempt further raids, but anything more than that did not seem likely. I was pretty pleased—Israel had been saved and I hadn’t fired a shot. But I wasn’t ready to let my guard down any time soon.
From mid March onwards, Egyptian naval elements began trying to attack the Israeli capital, but all ships that got close were sunk by Israeli aircraft, as they were never any bigger than frigates and only came one at a time.
By early April, however, intel showed that the Egyptians were building up a force close to the front.
On April 2nd, fighting was renewed on the front. During the following 24 hours, US forces came under fire.
On April 3rd, Egyptian forces launched a second raid against a US-held village, and I ordered my units to attack the Egyptians for the first time. They were quickly driven off, but the conflict had just changed dramatically. From now on, US forces would actively engage any Egyptian forces attempting to cross the border. As the day continued, the Israelies launched a counter-offensive to openly meet the enemy in battle, with US elements co-operating. For the first time, American troops had taken noteworthy losses.

April 5th, 1957
Amid the escalating crisis in the Middle East, the President has announced that he will be holding a press conference to discuss US involvement. Critics suggest that he is likely to announce a change in US policy regarding the situation...
“As you will already know,” begins the president amid the flashing of cameras, “we have been involved for several weeks now in the war between Egypt in Israel. US forces have been engaged in a peacekeeping mission, with the objective of deterring any new advances by the Egyptian army and minimizing conflict so that a peaceful resolution may be pursued.” The president paused for a moment as the camera flashes intensified.
“However, despite our requests of an official ceasefire, no progress has been made. Two days ago, for the first time in months, Egyptian forces moved to directly engage the Israeli military in a clear attempt to push forward to the Israeli capital. During this offensive, Egyptian armed forces attempted to cross through zones that are under our protection, and have fired upon US forces.”
The crowd stirs. Rumours had been flying around that such a thing had happened, but no officially confirmation had been offered until now.
“This clearly demonstrates that the Egyptian government does not intend to pursue a peaceful resolution; that they intend instead to end this conflict through the complete annexation of Israel. This cannot be tolerated, and neither can the fact that US troops have repeatedly come under fire during the past few weeks.”
The president pauses again to clear his throat.
“As such, US armed forces will henceforth be co-operating with those of Israel in this conflict. They have orders to actively protect the borders of Israel from any advancing Egyptian forces. We are fully committed to ensuring the safety of Israel, and if that takes the active involvement of our armed forces, then so be it.”
As one, the occupants of the room burst to life, their voices melding into a chaotic maelstrom of noise.

I still wasn’t quite ready to declare war at this point, but I’d definitely had enough of the Egyptians trying their luck. As the days continued, my forces continued to engage the Egyptians as the conflict escalated to new heights...

NEXT TIME: OUR INEPT HERO BEGINS TO GROW THE BEGINNINGS OF A BACKBONE AS HE MOVES TO ENGAGE THE EGPYTPIANS. WILL IT COME TO ALL-OUT WAR?
nerdymidgetkid
Lieutenant

Post by nerdymidgetkid »

EPISODE 7: WELL, THAT WAS UNEXPECTED...

“What’s the news from the front?” asked the President.
“Green’s been fairly...liberal with the whole “protect the sovereignty” thing.” Said the secretary of defence. “He’s pushed the border back to within a few kilometres of Suez. All attacking forces have been neutralized.”
“How are the Egyptians responding?”
“Not well.” said the secretary. “From what we know he’s very close to declaring outright war.”
“A communist-leaning state declaring war on us.” Said the president. “The Russians won’t be happy. Especially since it’s the Middle East—they seem to have a particular affection for that region.”
“In any case, Israel doesn’t have much to worry about any longer.” said the Secretary. “Green’s moved in the rest of his forces. But the Egyptians are still maintaining a large military presence around their capital. They’re not done yet.”

The Egyptians did not, however, declare war in the coming months. Fighting continued as I moved to engage all resistance. The war had entered a new stage—Operation Crusader, as I dubbed it. The objective of this operation was simple—quell the Egyptian forces, with the secondary objective of taking Egypt outright if possible. I advanced all the way up to the Suez region, operating mostly by myself by now, before finally being checked by the Egyptian forces as they started to put up much more heavy resistance against my forces, which were already having a hard time of it in the desert.
However, with most of the Egyptian army out of commission, and with the protection of the considerable force that I still had on the front, the Israeli artillery came into play.
And, as my own artillery moved in, along with the rest of my forces which were now fully repaired, the siege of Al Quirah began in early May.
After three days of intense fighting the city fell, but the enemy capital was moved only a few kilometres south, and with all the surrounding garrisons still alive and kicking, the battle was far from over.
The battle finally ended four days after its beginning on, on May 21st. US forces had taken negligible casualties, and all units were intact.
The Egyptian capital was moved to the North, and US forces pursued. The initial assault was a failure, and several units were pulled back for repairs, and I now pursued a different strategy, moving more slowly against all the surrounding settlements in another long siege. With the help of large amounts of Israeli artillery, their defence was broken, though the price was heavy. I estimate that tens of thousands of Egyptian lives were lost in this battle alone.
Finally, Egypt surrendered, annexed by Israel. Without a doubt, this proxy-war had been more of a success than my actual war with Korea ten years earlier. Not a single one of my top-of-the-line TL-2 Raptor tanks had gotten so much as a scratch on the paintwork, and my casualties, all in all, had been extremely light. If the Korean war had been the proving ground for the US air force, this had been the proving ground for the army. It showed that my new, modern army could operate independent of air support and successfully win a war all by itself. This was a brilliant victory—a Soviet leaning middle eastern power had been destroyed without any need to declare war.

Several weeks after the Middle Eastern crisis, General Alexander Green releases a document that would soon become instrumental to the US’s foreign policy. It is titled “the Green Doctrine.”

Before the recent conflict, we had largely ignored the Middle East in favour of focusing all our attentions in South East Asia. We deemed the Middle East a backwater, unworthy of our attention, as in our paranoia we were blinded to all our interests that were not threatened by “the looming dragon.” This was a mistake.
In recent years, the USSR has made a point of focusing their attentions on the Middle East, just as we have focused on Asia. It has gained them support in the region that we were not previously capable of matching—indeed, that we did not have any desire to match. As a result Israel, one of the few nations which the United States is closely tied in the region, was very nearly lost.
Eventually, the United States was forced to intervene, and we deployed a task force to ensure that, if nothing else, Israel would remain. By exchanging a treaty of Mutual defence with Israel, we were able to set up a defensive perimeter that, for some time, the Egyptians would not cross. Afterwards, when their offensive was renewed, we finally committed to fully supporting Israel, and as a result, “Egypt” is no longer the name of a country.
In this “proxy war” as I shall call it, we were not only able to safeguard the interests of the United States and NATO, but we were able to advance them with the destruction of a USSR-aligned country. Israel is now stronger than ever, and it is in a position to counter the growing Soviet influence in both the Middle East and Africa.
We must learn from our success here. Though we have already taken tentative steps with the ‘ASIAD’ program, we must open our eyes and take a much greater interest in protecting our interests throughout the world. Therefore, I will provide the following recommendations:
--Strengthening our Sphere: We must make every effort to strengthen relations with nations in key areas, with the eventual goal being establishing a mutual defence treaty or alliance with them.
--Military Globalization: Once sufficient treaties have been signed, we must begin to deploy armed forces to these regions, and be ready to intervene if ANY NATO aligned nation should come under threat. In this Cold War, safeguarding the interests of our country means safeguarding our sphere of influence.
--The ‘Proxy war:’ In the event that a NATO-aligned nations should become involved in conflict, the first objective of US forces should be to set up a defensive perimeter. However, as in the latter stages of the Israeli-Egyptian war, we must be willing to ACTIVELY ENGAGE any enemy forces that threaten the nation in question. If the enemy nation is leaning towards communism, efforts should be made where possible to ensure that it is annexed by the NATO-leaning nation in question.
--Increased boldness: In order to continue to safeguard the interests of NATO, it is REQUIRED that we show an increased willingness to use military force. While the proxy war tactic should be viable in most situations, we should ALWAYS consider the declaration of war to be a viable option. It is recommended that air force deployments be increased, so that air strikes may be possible no matter the theatre.

Over the next year or so I worked on carrying out the mandate of this doctrine, strengthening relations with the nations in my sphere. I also began to reform my military once more. Shortly after the war, I resolved to cut down my navy, getting rid of my excessive number of outdated carriers. The old WWII era escort carriers were scrapped all at once, and I planned to eventually offload the Essex fleet carriers in time, with the new Enterprise carriers, complemented by the Midways, soon to perform all the tasks required by the navy. I started by selling two Essex carriers, along with some last-gen jets, to my new friends in Israel.
I also began researching numerous new technologies in order to modernize my airforce and allowed my secretary of defence more control so that the production facilities could be expanded. I also began working to reduce my debt (which was now over 150 billion) by implementing a series of cuts across the board.
The department of state was hit hard, losing 300 million in daily funding. I now turned my attention to defence. 15 of the venerable B-36s bomber squadrons, which had been based in Japan since the Korean war, were now retired from active service, to finally be replaced by my new B-52s.
I wasn’t done with South East Asia yet though. For nearly a decade now, I had maintained a massive presence in North Korea, to counter the Chinese presence. However, I was now beginning to question this—while a presence was certainly necessary, having over 40,000 men stationed there in peacetime with no real threat of invasion was beginning to seem excessive.
However, first I needed to assess the Chinese threat. Unfortunately, the Chinese patrols in North Korea meant that they could always see my troops while I couldn’t see theirs, unless of course I made use of my least favourite department...

Mr President,
Operation Eagle Eye has been a success. Our agents have established a line of recon all along the border, and I am pleasantly surprised with the information we have gathered—which I do believe is a first.
The Chinese deployments on the border are much smaller than they were during the “Looming Dragon” crisis. In fact, from what we have observed, they do not maintain a permanent border force at all.
The Chinese are operating periodic patrols that will move South to the border and remain there for a short time before moving away. A small part of this force will periodically launch patrols into our territory before it moves off with the rest of the Chinese units.
In summary, the Chinese presence on the border is limited merely to standard border patrols, while the Soviet presence, which we have also checked up on, is nonexistent. I would advise that our force be drastically reduced.

Signed,
Director G. Allan,
Central Intelligence Agency

And so 60 ground units were told to pack their things and head home. Inexplicably, when I sent them into the reserve, my defence spending increased, even though more than half of my active army units had just been packed away.
My deficit was still a massive problem, and the defense department which I wasn’t very happy with on the whole at this point, was my target. I spent nearly 900 million on it every day, and this wasn't a cost I was happy with.
It turns out it was a good job I kept looking for ways to reduce spending, too, since I managed to figure out that you could put factories offline. My idiot secretary, having been given greater powers to build new factories, had focused on the one area of production that I didn’t use at all—land units—and gone crazy with building new ones. I now had 55 land factories--none of them in use, and immediately shut down 45 of them, reducing my daily spending by 100 million dollars.
By looking through my government I also discovered several other things that were totally out of whack—like the fact that my military salaries were 100 million more than recommended leaving me with more reserves than I would ever want during DEFCON 3, or that the only money I was actually getting from petrol was from direct offers, as my minister was trying to sell them at way more than the market price.
Eventually, I managed to get the economy under control, with my borrowing drastically reduced and my credit rating slowly climbing up (it had previously been in a state of crisis, dropping 25% in the space of one year.)
Following this, I continued to strengthen my sphere. In a move reminiscent of the golden age of the early and mid ‘50s, I began selling off old air force planes. Groups of 10 B-36s sold for over 5 billion, while I reached out to the less developed nations of my sphere with 1 billion dollar sales of banshees and thunderjets. (South Korea got their order for free, since relations were declining.) By early 1960, the massive military excess that had been built up in the massive technological rush of the early fifties had been nearly eliminated, with most of the first and pre-first generation military equipment finally offloaded.
In later 1959, I launched a large expansion of Guantanamo bay. Cuba had recently allied with the Soviets, which concerned me deeply. Past crisises, like the Arab-Israeli war and the Korean war, had not ended with historically accurate ceasefires, and if the game included ALL real life events, that was going to be a problem real soon.
Fears about an impending world war aside, I did have some good news. Having annexed Egypt, the Israelis were doing very well for themselves, and looked set to become a regional power. Israeli ships could now be seen all over the world, for some reason, and their presence on the home front was impressive to say the least.
The Soviets seemed to be taking an interest, at any rate.
My reconnaissance planes, based in Turkey, showed that indeed, Israel’s military was unparalleled in the region, and—more importantly—that none of the previously hostile Arabs had deployed anything out of the ordinary along the border.
Unfortunately, these Turkey-based reconnaissance missions were interrupted rather abruptly on May 27th, 1960.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: WELL, THAT'S THE END OF MY GAME-RUSH. I HOPE THESE NEW EPISODES HAVE BEEN ENJOYABLE; I'VE CERTAINLY ENJOYED MAKING THEM. HOWEVER, WHILE I DO LIKE TO WRITE THESE EPISODES, I'D STILL RATHER NOT IF NOBODY IS GOING TO READ THEM. IF YOU ARE READING THIS AAR, PLEASE LET ME KNOW--IF YOU USED TO BE AND YOU STOPPED, YOUR FEEDBACK ON WHAT MAKES THIS AAR SUCK BALLS WOULD BE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED.

BEST REGARDS,
YOUR FRIENDLY NEIGHBOURHOOD N00B
number47
General

Post by number47 »

I'm still here...just too lazy to write anything :D
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
notus
Lieutenant

Post by notus »

I am also really loving this!
nerdymidgetkid
Lieutenant

Post by nerdymidgetkid »

HEY GUYS! I KNOW IT’S BEEN MANY, MANY MONTHS, AND JUDGING BY THE LACK OF ANY POSTS IN THE AAR SECTION FOR THIS GAME SINCE MY LAST VISIT, I DOUBT THERE’S ANYONE STILL HERE. HOWEVER, IT TURNS OUT THERE WAS AN EPISODE THAT I NEVER ACTUALLY POSTED (NO IMAGES THOUGH); SO IF ANYONE’S READING THIS, PLEASE LET ME KNOW AND I WILL CONTINUE THE GAME FROM WHERE I LEFT OFF.

As the place immediately became USSR aligned, I had my suspicions about the cause of this takeover.
Admittedly, my spies had been spotted in a Pact nation recently—not my fault; I had my department of state set to “espionage” and I didn’t know that it was performing such operations. Also, as part of my new Middle Eastern recon operation, I had conducted several reconnaissance flights over the black sea. Ironically, this was to ensure that Turkey was not under immediate threat from the Russian navy, but I can understand that this would lead to them getting jumpy.
Whether or not the Russians were involved, however, I had immediately run into my worst crisis since the war in Korea. The situation was similar to the one which I had faced ten years ago: the nation was a close ally and a very important base for my operations in the region.
There was no question in my mind this time of what I had to do. My troops had come under fire—that made Turkey hostile. War was declared immediately.

May 30th, 1960
Following an officially condemnation of the declaration of war against Turkey, the president has organized yet another press conference to make his official response.
“People of the United States and the world. Two days ago, the government of Turkey was unlawfully overthrown by communist revolutionaries, lead by Binzali Ozak, who have now installed their totalitarian government in the nation. Without warning, the Turkish armed forces then proceeded to open fire on the 274th motorized infantry battalion. This attack on US forces without any declaration of war is a clear violation of international law, and we reserve the right to respond to this act with force.
As I stated yesterday, we go into this conflict to remove this unlawful regime and restore Turkey to its people. The government of the United States officially protests the UN’s condemnation, and we wish to inform the world that none of the threatened trade sanctions will prevent us from continuing this war until the dictator Binzali Ozak and his government surrender their ill-gotten control of the country. As always, the United States is committed to protecting the people of Turkey and, to upholding the principles of democracy upon which both our nation and the United Nations were founded.”

I still don’t know why my UN approval rating dropped to zero. The government of Turkey had been overthrown and turned into a dictatorship, my forces had taken neutral fire, and yet still the UN didn’t like me for declaring war. For once, I didn’t care much about this. I could not allow Turkey to ally itself to the USSR and the rest of the communist world—declaring war was the only way to prevent this.
In any case, the UN certainly made good on its threats, and all my exports immediately dried up. My treasury stabilized at 10 billion, but it was still a considerable blow.
I immediately began the war by gathering my forces and moving in to attack the Turkish capital of Ankyra. As my battalion advanced, I launched the first air combat operation in ten years, attacking the WWII era aircraft which had begun bombing my positions. My F-101s were completely successful, taking no notable losses as they quickly established air superiority over the Turkish skies.
Meanwhile, a lack of supply on the front was delaying my advance. If there was one thing I learned from this war, it’s to always have supply trucks handy. When the war broke out, I didn’t actually have any at all.
I soon managed to go on the offensive in spite of some early (albeit minor) Turkish victories, and by June 11th I had captured the capital with little resistance.

Here my advance stopped, and the war stagnated for a while. There were several engagements with the Turkish navy, during which I lost one Balao class submarine to a Turkish vessel. For the most part though, my navy had control over the seas.
The Turks continued to hit targets of opportunity, though they were incapable of doing any serious damage to my forces. Despite this, supply problems meant that my forces were spread too thin, and I began to amass an expeditionary force to reinforce the front.
Massive amounts of Israeli merchant marine craft heading towards the coast made it clear that they were trying to join in (though they had not declared war) and I eventually took a gamble and sent 2 motorized battalions south to capture a port. However, the attack failed, and both battalions were destroyed.
However, when the much-needed supply trucks finally made it to Turkey, courtesy of my new C-5 Galaxy aircraft, the attack was continued. I advanced once more to the new (or old) capital of Istanbul, but this time I came up against much heavier resistance in the form of a large military base adjacent to the city, which was heavily garrisoned.
As I advanced, the UN made another show of solidarity to the poor old Turks: UN advisors were deployed.

It was finally time, I decided, to show the full power of my new military. 10 B-52 squadrons, now stationed in Italy, were ordered to bomb the base. Within a few hours, the entire garrison (consisting of around 10 units) was obliterated, and all structures put out of commission.
I now proceed to move into the city without much more resistance. Two Turkish naval ships remained off shore and continued to pound my forces, but they were soon put out of commission by my tanks. Now with the eastern half of Istanbul under my control, I sent in some 2,000 paratroopers to engage the garrison of the western half. The rest of my forces soon joined them, and the Turkish government surrendered.
I was now faced with a dilemma. If I merely liberated the nation, I would be under the threat of this happening again. Even if I colonized it, the new government might make like the North Koreans and ally with other communist nations anyway. However, I didn’t doubt that my war on a USSR aligned nation so close to Russian territory had angered my opponents, and my UN rating was already so low. Eventually, I decided to gamble and liberate the territory.
I swear to god I did not plan this, but the new Turkish government was put in place on July 4th, 1960. I say this because my flag was changed on that day, representing a new chunk of territory which I now possessed in Turkey. In any case, I’m certainly not going to complain about it—it’s the perfect safeguard against further situations like this.

So, I assume that chunk of Turkey is now a state, for some reason?...
2) Mr. Cemil Eker will be named the interim president and will exercise the authority of the president for a full term in office. He will be charged with organizing immediate, fair and free elections in order to elect a new Prime Minister.
3) The newly installed government of Turkey will be charged with launching a full investigation into the actions of all members of the current administration.
4) The United States of America will enter into a formal alliance with the new government.
5) The United States of America will be granted all territory that is still held by the supporters of the current administration in order to ensure the security of the region.
6) The United States of America will grant full statehood to the territory granted to her by Turkey.

AUTHOR’S NOTE: SO, IT SEEMS I HAVE A NEW STATE, FOR WHICH I REQUIRE A NAME! ANY IDEAS?
CommissarKarkhov
Warrant Officer

Post by CommissarKarkhov »

nerdymidgetkid wrote:HEY GUYS! I KNOW IT’S BEEN MANY, MANY MONTHS, AND JUDGING BY THE LACK OF ANY POSTS IN THE AAR SECTION FOR THIS GAME SINCE MY LAST VISIT, I DOUBT THERE’S ANYONE STILL HERE. HOWEVER, IT TURNS OUT THERE WAS AN EPISODE THAT I NEVER ACTUALLY POSTED (NO IMAGES THOUGH); SO IF ANYONE’S READING THIS, PLEASE LET ME KNOW AND I WILL CONTINUE THE GAME FROM WHERE I LEFT OFF.

As the place immediately became USSR aligned, I had my suspicions about the cause of this takeover.
Admittedly, my spies had been spotted in a Pact nation recently—not my fault; I had my department of state set to “espionage” and I didn’t know that it was performing such operations. Also, as part of my new Middle Eastern recon operation, I had conducted several reconnaissance flights over the black sea. Ironically, this was to ensure that Turkey was not under immediate threat from the Russian navy, but I can understand that this would lead to them getting jumpy.
Whether or not the Russians were involved, however, I had immediately run into my worst crisis since the war in Korea. The situation was similar to the one which I had faced ten years ago: the nation was a close ally and a very important base for my operations in the region.
There was no question in my mind this time of what I had to do. My troops had come under fire—that made Turkey hostile. War was declared immediately.

May 30th, 1960
Following an officially condemnation of the declaration of war against Turkey, the president has organized yet another press conference to make his official response.
“People of the United States and the world. Two days ago, the government of Turkey was unlawfully overthrown by communist revolutionaries, lead by Binzali Ozak, who have now installed their totalitarian government in the nation. Without warning, the Turkish armed forces then proceeded to open fire on the 274th motorized infantry battalion. This attack on US forces without any declaration of war is a clear violation of international law, and we reserve the right to respond to this act with force.
As I stated yesterday, we go into this conflict to remove this unlawful regime and restore Turkey to its people. The government of the United States officially protests the UN’s condemnation, and we wish to inform the world that none of the threatened trade sanctions will prevent us from continuing this war until the dictator Binzali Ozak and his government surrender their ill-gotten control of the country. As always, the United States is committed to protecting the people of Turkey and, to upholding the principles of democracy upon which both our nation and the United Nations were founded.”

I still don’t know why my UN approval rating dropped to zero. The government of Turkey had been overthrown and turned into a dictatorship, my forces had taken neutral fire, and yet still the UN didn’t like me for declaring war. For once, I didn’t care much about this. I could not allow Turkey to ally itself to the USSR and the rest of the communist world—declaring war was the only way to prevent this.
In any case, the UN certainly made good on its threats, and all my exports immediately dried up. My treasury stabilized at 10 billion, but it was still a considerable blow.
I immediately began the war by gathering my forces and moving in to attack the Turkish capital of Ankyra. As my battalion advanced, I launched the first air combat operation in ten years, attacking the WWII era aircraft which had begun bombing my positions. My F-101s were completely successful, taking no notable losses as they quickly established air superiority over the Turkish skies.
Meanwhile, a lack of supply on the front was delaying my advance. If there was one thing I learned from this war, it’s to always have supply trucks handy. When the war broke out, I didn’t actually have any at all.
I soon managed to go on the offensive in spite of some early (albeit minor) Turkish victories, and by June 11th I had captured the capital with little resistance.

Here my advance stopped, and the war stagnated for a while. There were several engagements with the Turkish navy, during which I lost one Balao class submarine to a Turkish vessel. For the most part though, my navy had control over the seas.
The Turks continued to hit targets of opportunity, though they were incapable of doing any serious damage to my forces. Despite this, supply problems meant that my forces were spread too thin, and I began to amass an expeditionary force to reinforce the front.
Massive amounts of Israeli merchant marine craft heading towards the coast made it clear that they were trying to join in (though they had not declared war) and I eventually took a gamble and sent 2 motorized battalions south to capture a port. However, the attack failed, and both battalions were destroyed.
However, when the much-needed supply trucks finally made it to Turkey, courtesy of my new C-5 Galaxy aircraft, the attack was continued. I advanced once more to the new (or old) capital of Istanbul, but this time I came up against much heavier resistance in the form of a large military base adjacent to the city, which was heavily garrisoned.
As I advanced, the UN made another show of solidarity to the poor old Turks: UN advisors were deployed.

It was finally time, I decided, to show the full power of my new military. 10 B-52 squadrons, now stationed in Italy, were ordered to bomb the base. Within a few hours, the entire garrison (consisting of around 10 units) was obliterated, and all structures put out of commission.
I now proceed to move into the city without much more resistance. Two Turkish naval ships remained off shore and continued to pound my forces, but they were soon put out of commission by my tanks. Now with the eastern half of Istanbul under my control, I sent in some 2,000 paratroopers to engage the garrison of the western half. The rest of my forces soon joined them, and the Turkish government surrendered.
I was now faced with a dilemma. If I merely liberated the nation, I would be under the threat of this happening again. Even if I colonized it, the new government might make like the North Koreans and ally with other communist nations anyway. However, I didn’t doubt that my war on a USSR aligned nation so close to Russian territory had angered my opponents, and my UN rating was already so low. Eventually, I decided to gamble and liberate the territory.
I swear to god I did not plan this, but the new Turkish government was put in place on July 4th, 1960. I say this because my flag was changed on that day, representing a new chunk of territory which I now possessed in Turkey. In any case, I’m certainly not going to complain about it—it’s the perfect safeguard against further situations like this.

So, I assume that chunk of Turkey is now a state, for some reason?...
2) Mr. Cemil Eker will be named the interim president and will exercise the authority of the president for a full term in office. He will be charged with organizing immediate, fair and free elections in order to elect a new Prime Minister.
3) The newly installed government of Turkey will be charged with launching a full investigation into the actions of all members of the current administration.
4) The United States of America will enter into a formal alliance with the new government.
5) The United States of America will be granted all territory that is still held by the supporters of the current administration in order to ensure the security of the region.
6) The United States of America will grant full statehood to the territory granted to her by Turkey.

AUTHOR’S NOTE: SO, IT SEEMS I HAVE A NEW STATE, FOR WHICH I REQUIRE A NAME! ANY IDEAS?
That chunk of land is the part of Kurdistan that the Turks own. You could call it Kurdistan, or maybe you could 'Murican-ize it and call it Kurdia or Kurdland.
Sort of getting back into SR after a years long hiatus.
nerdymidgetkid
Lieutenant

Post by nerdymidgetkid »

Or perhaps, "New 'MURICA" ?
nerdymidgetkid
Lieutenant

Post by nerdymidgetkid »

If anyone's reading this AAR, please check out this thread:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 63&t=24726

I desperately want this questions answered before I continue this AAR.
LoganZombieOfTime
Lieutenant

Post by LoganZombieOfTime »

It's ok :lol: But I just want you to know that China will attack India and annex it if you don't help
when you can't build an army, buy it. :evil:

Return to “After Action Reports”