Modding Q/A thread

This forum has been archived. Please use the new modding forum. If you need to retrieve a thread from here, contact BattleGoat.

Moderators: Balthagor, BattleGoat

terrorstorm
Warrant Officer
Human: Yes

Re: Modding Q/A thread

Post by terrorstorm »

Why is this happening with regions? it also happens with Lake Huron in Ontario Canada. The weird Russian border is what I'm talking about.

photo hosting sites
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

terrorstorm wrote:Why is this happening with regions? it also happens with Lake Huron in Ontario Canada. The weird Russian border is what I'm talking about.

photo hosting sites
With out any context of knowing what you have modified, what you are doing etc There is really no way to tell. I assume you're talking about russias north border going out into the ocean? Check to make sure you have all regions properly in game.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
terrorstorm
Warrant Officer

Post by terrorstorm »

I assume it has something to do with colonies since a similar thing was happening in africa. Some nations wouldn't appear and the nations that did would "take over" that land and make totaly new borders where ever it met with another country. Kinda like when you conquor a country and it splits the land between you and another country only it makes new random region borders like the one in the pic.

I've made all countries into larger groups and then split some territories into other factions ie. russia now owns alaska, england owns newfoundland and nunavut.
Not sure what other info u might need except for maybe the regions in the russia/england group.
If not ill just leave it as it is since its not that big of a deal as long as its only happening with those 2 groups(which for now it is).

Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

terrorstorm wrote:I assume it has something to do with colonies since a similar thing was happening in africa. Some nations wouldn't appear and the nations that did would "take over" that land and make totaly new borders where ever it met with another country. Kinda like when you conquor a country and it splits the land between you and another country only it makes new random region borders like the one in the pic.

I've made all countries into larger groups and then split some territories into other factions ie. russia now owns alaska, england owns newfoundland and nunavut.
Not sure what other info u might need except for maybe the regions in the russia/england group.
If not ill just leave it as it is since its not that big of a deal as long as its only happening with those 2 groups(which for now it is).

There are some Regions that aren't accounted for in your files. Making them belong to a nation will fix this. I've ran into a similar issue with Cyprus in the past. No way for me to tell which. It could be something else, but I don't remember if there was another cause. I understand the frustration.. i've seen tons of these little issues pop up and 99% of the time they are caused by my error somewhere. :wink:
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Fistalis wrote:
terrorstorm wrote:Why is this happening with regions? it also happens with Lake Huron in Ontario Canada. The weird Russian border is what I'm talking about.

photo hosting sites
With out any context of knowing what you have modified, what you are doing etc There is really no way to tell. I assume you're talking about russias north border going out into the ocean? Check to make sure you have all regions properly in game.
Devs did that to "fix" the northern passage issue...
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
terrorstorm
Warrant Officer

Post by terrorstorm »

Maybe...but normal borders are possible, or u were kidding and that joke was lost on me (: i think i just have to add each individual region in russia instead of the whole russia group, I'll look at it tomorrow. Fistalis is right... im just missing a region or something. There were quite a few random tiny regions missing i just got lucky and divided cyprus correctly the first time :P africa was another story though (:

Also some incorrect info on the wiki didn't help like Afghanistan listed as 911 and 912, 912 is bangladesh. Cuba as 2506 instead of 2727, since i was using the wiki chart instead of the region chart in this forum.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

terrorstorm wrote:
Maybe...but normal borders are possible, or u were kidding and that joke was lost on me (:
:lol: :lol: :lol: No, I'm not joking :lol: :lol: :lol: I just did a clean install of the game and added last beta update and the russian border (northern passage) is the same as in your pic... :wink:
[color=#FF0000]George Geczy[/color] wrote:
Col_Travis wrote:You could possibly expand the territorial waters so that only nations with sea transit rights could use the northwest passage. Blocking it would negate the use by boomers.
Yes, subs are also an important reason not to block it. The territorial expansion is an interesting idea, generally plays well with reality too, not sure why it wasn't on our list of possible solutions. But it is now.
Source: http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 1&start=90
terrorstorm
Warrant Officer

Post by terrorstorm »

Ah damn then :D... i just checked other mods and saw normal borders and thought i messed something up :P
That kinda sucks for ontario's north sea passage through hudson's bay(for my mod anyway).
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Oh, if you're modding with a test version i have no idea since i haven't touched it yet. + you're likely to have to redo alot of work when an actual release is done.
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

Option of you pro modders (lookin at you Fisty)--

What do you recommend 1) to upload for a mod you've made (the cache file or what?) and 2) what you recommend for a good service/location/website for sharing the file.

Thanks! Ara
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

Aragos wrote:Option of you pro modders (lookin at you Fisty)--

What do you recommend 1) to upload for a mod you've made (the cache file or what?) and 2) what you recommend for a good service/location/website for sharing the file.

Thanks! Ara
1) Depends on the mod.. if its a basic scenario mod the only required files would be cache, scenario file, csv and cvp. If you want people to be able to recreate and modify it you'll need to include all your source files.

2) Personally I use drop box. Even half of the download files on my website are actually hosted on drop box since I have very limited space on my Webspace. Its easy to setup. To update a file i just copy the new version over the old one in the dropbox folder and the link doesn't change, and you won't have your file removed after a few months. Those 3 issues make other file hosting sites just horrid IMO. I have sugarsync as a back up but haven't put it through the testing since Drop box has only had issues once in the 3 or 4 years i've used it.
Aragos
General

Post by Aragos »

Cool, thanks. I think it will only be the Cache file, as it doesn't require any changes to units, etc. to work.

My idea: No WWII, but some shifting in countries in Europe (Poland has East Prussia for example). Alt History sort of thing; Hitler overthrown by generals in 1938 before Czechoslovkia, Japan driven out of China by communists but still holds Taiwan and both Koreas. US granted independence to Philippines but still has basing rights. UK and France went through spasm of anti-colonialism and granted independence to most of their colonies. UK only has Singapore, Suez, Malta, Gibraltar; France gave up everything, but Netherlands kept their Western hemisphere colonies. No changes to OOB so far, so the standard Cold War unit start (just easier at this point). No alliances or treaties in effect except US with Japan (sort of a cheaty way for me to not have to mod out the US forces in the normal CW scenario that start in Korea/Japan/Taiwan/Philippines--will fix all that later). Italy still owns Albania.

Strange but fun so far. I made Germany (used the Austria Germany country code instead of W Ger and E Ger), Italy and Japan dictatorships. USSR DoWs Turkey, Norway. Turkey goes down fast, then Greece. China DoWs Japan as does USSR. Japan gets driven out of Korea but had taken a chunk of USSR first. China now owns an odd looking chunk of USSR. Netherlands and Belgium DoW'd by USSR, same with UK. All three land at Leningrad but are driven out over time. Ugly land war in USSR following USSR DoW on...Italy. Italians drive through Greece, into Turkey then up the southern front. USSR collapses and is now divided between Italy, Belgium and Norway. China DoWs UK, Belgium and Norway and is now taking over what was once USSR territory. If they get to European Russia, it will be ugly--all those people and resources added to USSR industry. The UK went on a conquering spree and took out most of eastern Europe. USA (me) took out Mexico and all of Central America, along with Bermuda.

Interesting to watch how the game--when generally unrestrained--runs. If you run this with no units, the USSR quickly overruns Europe.
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Guys, where do I edit/mod the spotting types? I mean, if I want to add new spot types beside the existing ones shown here --> http://www.supremewiki.com/index.php/Spotting_Types

EDIT: nevermind, found it here... :oops: http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... es#p136281
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Is it possible to edit unit research cost and research duration? If yes, where?
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

number47 wrote:Is it possible to edit unit research cost and research duration? If yes, where?
IIRC its based on build cost and build time. You can probably find the exact formula around here on the forums if you search REALLY hard :lol:

Return to “Modding SRCW”