End of an Era (mod)

This forum has been archived. Please use the new modding forum. If you need to retrieve a thread from here, contact BattleGoat.

Moderators: Balthagor, BattleGoat

Hullu Hevonen
General

Re: End of an Era (mod)

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

We all are looking for ways to make our mods better, for me it is more a question of should I sacrifie realism for gameplay, right now the inf numbers are already halved. My goal is a realistic and authentic gameplay experience for the players, if WWIII would of broken out during this era, you would of seen frontal warfare with large numbers of infantry. I am painfully aware of the slowness of this mod, the computer I was using still 4months ago, was an now 6year old dualcore, which crawled when playing the mod forward. One option that I discuss above of an 'Infantry free' scenario could give some speed to the game for those players wanting to play a game with units.

One soluton that I opted for is allowing wars like the Korean War grind for as long as possible, while sticking to realism, I gave both sides a wall of fortificaions, the border is the most heavily fortified. Then add a US barracks in SK to encourage larger US support in the conflict which has atleast 4 huge armies killing eachother and usually helps in the long term speed wise. Before adding the barracks the US seemed uninterested in helping its Asian ally. Also in later versons SK have started to seek more alliances than before which can potentially add more players to the game.
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
number47
General
Human: Yes

Post by number47 »

Fistalis wrote:
number47 wrote: Modern World is "good",
I disagree.. I'm consistently still trying to find ways to improve it. I mean 15 second days to start isn't horrible but it does get much slower as time goes by. (as a matter of fact I spent a few hours reviewing the OOB and removing units that Countries have in storage from it to improve it yesterday)
What is wrong with "good"? HUH Feeling a bit touchy today, eh? :P
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Hullu Hevonen wrote:We all are looking for ways to make our mods better, for me it is more a question of should I sacrifie realism for gameplay, right now the inf numbers are already halved.
I have no problem with your mod. It plays as you envision it. I just stated a comparison fact that it is "slow". Takes time to play it but nothing wrong with that. :wink:
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

number47 wrote:
Hullu Hevonen wrote:We all are looking for ways to make our mods better, for me it is more a question of should I sacrifie realism for gameplay, right now the inf numbers are already halved.
I have no problem with your mod. It plays as you envision it. I just stated a comparison fact that it is "slow". Takes time to play it but nothing wrong with that. :wink:
Yeah, I was more thinking of those players that are using an older PC and complain it's slow :-)
Happy Linux user!
C.S.A
Lieutenant

Post by C.S.A »

number47 wrote:
Balthagor wrote:
C.S.A wrote:I love it my main problem is that it is SLOW. Any suggestions on how to speed it up?
Reeeeallly???

This is the first "slow" comment I've heard in a while. 7.3.7 seemed to deal with the speed issues. If you have a "slow" savegame, please zip and email it to me. I realize it's a mod, but I would still like to see it.
You reeeeallly haven't played this mod, have you? :D
Vanilla is "great" concerning speed, Modern World is "good", and this mod is "slow". I believe we can all agree on this statement. :wink:
Thank you number 47, it is indeed slow, I left the game running for one hour and it was on day 14 (no it wasn't paused), I love everything else about it though, with the exception of: Bill Clinton was not president in 1992 it was George H. W. Bush
It's a far, far better thing I do than I have ever done. It's a far, far better rest I go to then I have ever known. - A Tale of Two Cities
Fistalis
General

Post by Fistalis »

number47 wrote:
Fistalis wrote:
number47 wrote: Modern World is "good",
I disagree.. I'm consistently still trying to find ways to improve it. I mean 15 second days to start isn't horrible but it does get much slower as time goes by. (as a matter of fact I spent a few hours reviewing the OOB and removing units that Countries have in storage from it to improve it yesterday)
What is wrong with "good"? HUH Feeling a bit touchy today, eh? :P
Nothing.. I just disagree with the assessment.. Livable or acceptable I would take.. good not so much.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
my Supreme Ruler mods Site - May it rest in peace
number47
General

Post by number47 »

Fistalis wrote:
number47 wrote: What is wrong with "good"? HUH Feeling a bit touchy today, eh? :P
Nothing.. I just disagree with the assessment.. Livable or acceptable I would take.. good not so much.
Wait, so you would agree with "ok" than? HUH Semantics really, on my scale "great"-"good"-"slow" your's is "good". Make your own scale if you don't like mine! :P
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

C.S.A wrote: Thank you number 47, it is indeed slow, I left the game running for one hour and it was on day 14 (no it wasn't paused), I love everything else about it though, with the exception of: Bill Clinton was not president in 1992 it was George H. W. Bush
Thats sligthly slower than with my old Dual-Core, which brings me to:
--->Hullu's Recommended System Requirements<---
- Processor: Quad Core or greater(will work with dual core, but it might be laggy)
Apparently Clinton won the election of 1992 :D , even seen Perot win sometimes :wink:
Fistalis wrote: Nothing.. I just disagree with the assessment.. Livable or acceptable I would take.. good not so much.
That sounds worse than good to me, I'd rather take good than Livable. :P
Happy Linux user!
C.S.A
Lieutenant

Post by C.S.A »

OK so I admit a Intel Celeron may not be the best choice I ever made, but modern world ran fine, cold war ran fine, all of the mods I chose ran fine, but not this one. You cannot blame it on a computer that has a good record.
It's a far, far better thing I do than I have ever done. It's a far, far better rest I go to then I have ever known. - A Tale of Two Cities
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Balthagor wrote:k, send me a savegame please.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

Was just about to ask, did someone send that save? :lol:

@C.S.A: For the next version I'm going to make an lighter version/Infantry Free. :wink: This is a known issue, I've issued the increased requirements, and stated that the units are by design. So this issue is by design, therefor if you want to run the main campaign/sandbox and aren't satisified with the speed then you need a faster PC. Any radical change to unit numbers would kill the realism. That dosen't mean I ain't constantly looking for ways to increase the game speed. :-)
Happy Linux user!
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

Did my preliminery test run on the newest beta version of v1.13.x, and I compared the infantry free version versus the main campaign. The results where that as of now the IF version runs ~42% faster that the main campaign :-)
Happy Linux user!
C.S.A
Lieutenant

Post by C.S.A »

Ok I liked what you did with the infantry but I got a feeling that you went over the edge with it, I mean when I look at Serbia's reserves I see hundreds of infantry battalions, so I assume its the same with all of the other countries, but that's not the problem, the problem is they all deploy at the same time... I noticed as I got farther into the time that it sped up, I guess that countries began recycling their infantry, and making the game speed up a little. Believe me its realistic enough, if countries have large numbers of reserve troops and smaller infantry armies, and that's another problem infantry armies are slow crossing the battlefield and when they get there they just increase the death toll. So I wouldn't say get rid of them all just lower the existing amount, so that countries can be war capable while not having a huge army based almost entirely on infantry. Other than that everything's good in the hood :wink:
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

C.S.A wrote:Ok I liked what you did with the infantry but I got a feeling that you went over the edge with it, I mean when I look at Serbia's reserves I see hundreds of infantry battalions, so I assume its the same with all of the other countries, but that's not the problem, the problem is they all deploy at the same time... I noticed as I got farther into the time that it sped up, I guess that countries began recycling their infantry, and making the game speed up a little. Believe me its realistic enough, if countries have large numbers of reserve troops and smaller infantry armies, and that's another problem infantry armies are slow crossing the battlefield and when they get there they just increase the death toll. So I wouldn't say get rid of them all just lower the existing amount, so that countries can be war capable while not having a huge army based almost entirely on infantry. Other than that everything's good in the hood :wink:
I understand your point, the current level of infantries in game is already scaled to about 50%, in same cases to 30% of the original. In earlier versions of this mod I used to have a Scaled and on not scaled version. I finally scraped the not scaled and made the scaled one, also in communist countries the militia levels are at about 25% of the original. So the infantry levels are already significantly scaled. :-)

As of how units moblize, that I can't affect.

infantry armies are slow crossing the battlefield and when they get there they just increase the death toll.
Oh yeah, Warfare ain't always pretty, sometimes an army takes huge losses. If those infantry units where mechanized, the death toll would still be high as the same amount of troops would still be shipped to the frontlines.
Happy Linux user!
Kellick
Captain

Post by Kellick »

C.S.A wrote:...I guess that countries began recycling their infantry, and making the game speed up a little....
Does the AI actually do this? (and I mean AI run countries other than your own, I know your own def minister will scrap units if you tell him to (set the right policy)
I somehow doubt it, I know it didn't even the players def minister didn't have the ability to in 2020.

More likely the speedup is from massive casualties, countries being eliminated, and the way combat slows down after a point as damaged units go back to reserves and tend to not come back to the front, fuel and ammo runs short and less movement happens, etc.

From other posts I've read, I take it the AI still never checks to see that it isn't in a state of war anymore and can stand down and so once it escalates never drops defcon, reserves units, cuts garrisons, etc. I remember Hullu (or was it Fistalis?) talking about using event 37 (37?) periodicly to force some countries down, since if they were still at war they would just go right back to what they were doing before anyway. Have either of you had any success with that since the last patch?

Return to “Modding SRCW”