Is it worth porting a SR2020 mod to SRCW?

This forum has been archived. Please use the new modding forum. If you need to retrieve a thread from here, contact BattleGoat.

Moderators: Balthagor, BattleGoat

MK4
Colonel
Human: Yes

Is it worth porting a SR2020 mod to SRCW?

Post by MK4 »

I know some people have already done mods for SRCW for the modern timeframe. What I`d like to know is what people think of the SRCW engine vs SR2020 comparing their latest versions.

I`ve actually bought 2 SRCWs, but I did it more for the thought of a potential modding platform for a nowadays world mod and as a support gesture because the BG developers are such nice folks. Consequently, not being interested into the SRCW`s timeframe I haven`t played it much and I have almost no play experience with the latest patches which I understand are pretty significant. Could someone who has played both SR2020 Gold (Global Crisis especially) and SRCW in its latest version say what he thinks would be the arguments for porting a SR2020 mod to SRCW? I`m interested in both modding benefits and gameplay advantages (or downsides if you think there are any). Thanks for any reply!
Hullu Hevonen
General

Re: Is it worth porting a SR2020 mod to SRCW?

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

Well both gameplay and modding benefits are roughly the same. There is more to mod in SRCW, but less gameplay due to it's inferior UI compared to SR2020. The best platform for modding and gaiming currently is SR1936, with little more stuff to mod than SRCW and BG's best UI sofar :-)
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

Thanks! Could you please give me some specifics on what you personally think makes SRCW preferable/different to SR2020? Something that made you think it would be hard to go back to SR2020 and miss that certain feature. For me, for example, a great step forward would be the way borders change when your allies capture territory close to your forces (no more small patches of ownership everywhere).
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

Well moddalbe events for one and then the colony/proxy war system, as it comes to territory the proxywars help with the borders alot. There is also event 44 which allows you to give individual hexes to others. Thats the advantage of SRCW
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
MK4
Colonel

Post by MK4 »

There is also event 44 which allows you to give individual hexes to others.
Could this be used to create a new country at the start of the game? For example splitting Sudan into Sudan and South Sudan.

Return to “Modding SRCW”