Cant get Supreme Ruler Cold War to run on Win 8.1

Place bug reports / questions here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Toe257
Sergeant

Cant get Supreme Ruler Cold War to run on Win 8.1

Post by Toe257 »

Hi, I have a problem with Cold War. When I go to play the game after installing it and putting my cd key in, it wont run and a window comes up saying I need Direct Play to run the game and it asks to install it, but when I click on something it just locks up. What weird is I have Direct Play installed with Directx runtime files. Ive never had problem playing this game before on Win 8, but I do know I havnt tested the game on Win 8.1 until yesterday. Are there any fixes for this or is anyone else having this problem? I have all the latest drivers for my computer.

Any info would be great.

Thanks,
Brad
Toe257
Sergeant

Re: Cant get Supreme Ruler Cold War to run on Win 8.1

Post by Toe257 »

Btw I tried admin mode and different versions of Windows mode and it still dont work.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler
Human: Yes

Post by Balthagor »

We just updated one of our systems at the office to Win8.1 We got the same message but David just installed Directx to get it to work. I can ask him on Monday if it was the one from the install directory or from somewhere else.

Please note, if you have an old NVidia driver, Win8.1 will try and turn on 3D mode for some reason. Update your video driver to fix the issue if it occurs. The effect is that the colors look all off.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Toe257
Sergeant

Post by Toe257 »

Yeah I know what your talking about, but if you can find me the Directx runtimes he used let me know. I did a full reinstall of Win 8.1 Pro and it did the same thing, so did 2020 Global Crisis. Btw I used the Directx from Microsofts Download Center website.
Toe257
Sergeant

Post by Toe257 »

I got it to work. When the screen came up for it asking to install DirectPlay, you use the tab key to cycles the yes or no, then press enter. The mouse doesnt work. It installed the right files and now it loads. 8)

Return to “Issues & Support”