Update 3 US v. USSR Game

This forum has been archived. Please use the new multiplayer forum. If you need to retrieve a thread from here, contact BattleGoat.

Moderators: Balthagor, BattleGoat

NByz
Corporal
Human: Yes

Update 3 US v. USSR Game

Post by NByz »

Hi Guys,

I'm looking for someone who would like to hook up to do a 1 v 1 US v. USSR game when the new update is released.

I've played the game enough to know that doing a US v. USSR game against the computer isn't really a lot of fun. I've played USSR for a few years and it seems technology progresses unrealistically quickly.

I'm a bit of a history nerd (I'm watching a documentary on tank battles that prompted this right now!) and would like to try to treat it like a simulation. I'd like to suggest limiting research centers or making some other effort to keep things realistic.

I'm looking for someone who wants to take a bit of a historical roleplaying perspective on the game. I don't mean making up storylines; rather, I mean taking things slow and treating decisions about conflict and diplomacy like it was real.

I still think I'd prefer high volatility and anything else that would make a game like this fun to play.

I feel like this game deserves one serious play-through as one of the main countries, and I've not done that yet.

I'm in the Americas PST time zone and I think I'd like to play at a very low speeds (especially when there is war) on Saturdays once the update is out.

Please respond or PM (if that's available) if you're interested.

Thanks,

Trevor
Samilou
Captain

Re: Update 3 US v. USSR Game

Post by Samilou »

Sounds like we might be a match regarding playing style.

I have been dreaming for ages for a chance to be part of a more or less historical Cold War RP game. I live in Sweden thus part of the Central European time zone (summer time ends in a couple of days).

Due to college (political science) it may be safest for me to only play on weekends. What hours are you available? I will need us to use gameranger due to router issues, hope that is not a problem for you. Whether I play USA or the USSR doesn't matter, but if I play the USSR I would like us to use the unified USSR scenario or an equivalent - I don't mind at all if you want that too when playing USSR. I just find the colony system to be a very clumsy and unrealistic simulation of the Soviet Union not to mention I don't see why I shouldn't have full control over economic policies in the entire country when I already have that in the Russian SFSR.

I would propose the following house rules: Research centers limited to 8. No researching unit designs more than 3 years into the future (defined by tech level of the design). Historical focus with regards to unit construction encouraged but entirely optional. Must research all unit designs relevant for your nation beyond tech level 50 (worldwide designs are optional). Tech trading with AI, especially of key techs such as nuclear weapons; prohibited for flavour reasons. Societal or medical techs are exempt from this rule. We may stretch the rules to allow more techs to be traded at least to aligned nations as the game progresses.

Medium violatility is usually more than enough for ample opportunities of warfare in the case of superpowers - although I never see historical Arab-Israeli wars except the Suez Crisis in SP. I am yet to try high violatility - due to the risk of random unhistorical wars. But perhaps we have no choice but to use high violatility to get a reasonably conflict filled environment keeping us occupied when not roleplaying. Nuclear penalty should be low (the human factor with two human superpowers should be enough of a deterrent, not to mention low is enough to make your allies hate your guts after using a couple hundred nukes) and enhanced range and spotting should be inactive.

Thoughts?

If the game is stable enough for us we could potentially allow some additional players to take up the role of some key conflict zone nations, at least temporarily. North Vietnam early on, North and South Korea. Israel, Syria and Egypt when the time comes... Should work especially well for people only interested in warfare or with limited free time who therefore can only commit to a few sessions.

Anyone interested in North Vietnam or the Koreas right now?
NByz
Corporal

Post by NByz »

I'd say it sounds like you've really thought this out.

I don't know gameranger, but judging by what I just read after googling, it shouldn't be a problem.

Will a research center limit of 8 be all that binding? I don't know the tech tree that well, but it seems that, with 8 research centers, and unit design limitations by year (great idea!) we'd still be rocketing through the techs pretty fast. Would that be unrealistic?

I'm more than happy playing the US; I haven't before, believe it or not. Assuming that the unified USSR mod converts the european colonies to part of the larger USSR, that sounds good too.

I like the idea of popping someone into the conflict zones if we can make it work. Even if someone is just interested in starting things off in an interesting way, but doesn't have the time to really commit.

I am also safest on the weekends. I'm 9-5 Monday-Friday-ing it now. The time zone might be a bit of an issue. We're off by 9 hours. If I were to start playing at 09:00 you'd already be at 18:00 on a Saturday. It could work if you're a night owl and I'm not too hungover.
Samilou
Captain

Post by Samilou »

NByz wrote:I'd say it sounds like you've really thought this out.

I don't know gameranger, but judging by what I just read after googling, it shouldn't be a problem.

Will a research center limit of 8 be all that binding? I don't know the tech tree that well, but it seems that, with 8 research centers, and unit design limitations by year (great idea!) we'd still be rocketing through the techs pretty fast. Would that be unrealistic?

I'm more than happy playing the US; I haven't before, believe it or not. Assuming that the unified USSR mod converts the european colonies to part of the larger USSR, that sounds good too.

I like the idea of popping someone into the conflict zones if we can make it work. Even if someone is just interested in starting things off in an interesting way, but doesn't have the time to really commit.

I am also safest on the weekends. I'm 9-5 Monday-Friday-ing it now. The time zone might be a bit of an issue. We're off by 9 hours. If I were to start playing at 09:00 you'd already be at 18:00 on a Saturday. It could work if you're a night owl and I'm not too hungover.
Techs do indeed progress fast even with a limit of 8 research centers. Let's just say the USA must stick to the number it starts with and the USSR may only build up to that number. It is at least semi-balanced if you make sure you research everything beyond tech level 50 and nothing more than 3 years ahead of the current year (try doing so in the right order too).

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 65&t=18430 there is the scenario. I am not entirely a night owl but on saturdays and fridays I can stretch myself to play upto 01:00 or so. Are you able to get up and ready to play by 11 or 12 your time, which is supposedly 20 or 21 here? Or 09/18 til one is unable as you mentioned yourself.

Edit: Unfortunately the scenario also has some flaws in that it was not made for the current patch. For example it does not have scenario tweaks like the Suez Canal authority (which complicates transportation between Europe and Asia). It is definitely stable and playable though. Maybe somehow it can be updated or BG can be convinced to make their own equivalent of that scenario?

Return to “SRCW Multiplayer Games”