Rename units and buildings!!!!!

Have a feature request for SRU? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Kellick
Captain
Human: Yes

Re: Rename units and buildings!!!!!

Post by Kellick »

Balthagor wrote:Thought I had mentioned this somewhere already?

Unit Rename is back and is working. Nearly all navies have the proper names for units in inventory.
Going back in for 1936 or is back in CW?
I did find the battlegroup rename (along with the menus that actually make battlegroups useful); after I realized that Fistallis satellite mod and your Battlegroup UI mod both overwrite the GAM_P1.HAPX file. Anyone done an updated file for both mods or do I need to figure out how to combine the changes myself since I'm not willing to play without either of them?
I still can't for the life of me find how to rename units, and the ship names assigned in the ORBAT aren't there, just the defaults.
Although I did notice after installing the modern day mod that a bunch of little things were borked up (whether playing that scenario or not), such as unit graphics for a lot of the USA starting ships were gone (pretty much anything on UGBITS4...which is where Fistallis added new groundpounders) however it was easily fixed by adjusting/creating as needed the relevant Unit#.X files , but I honestly don't know if that is from the mod or the way the game shipped or because of my own modding, just that that was when I noticed it.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

restored for '36. CW development is done and it needed more than just the button restored. There was back end changes about how it stored/displayed the name.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Balthagor wrote:restored for '36. CW development is done and it needed more than just the button restored. There was back end changes about how it stored/displayed the name.
So, battlegroups can be named now? That is a great news!! :-)
Please teach AI everything!
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

There is nothing in this thread about naming battlegroups, check the title.

that said, if you load up my mod that restores battlegroups, then yes you can rename your battlegroups even in SRCW.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Kellick
Captain

Post by Kellick »

Balthagor wrote:restored for '36. CW development is done and it needed more than just the button restored. There was back end changes about how it stored/displayed the name.
Boo! Spooky CW no renaming!
36! Yay Beer!

Thanks for confirmation so I don't lose my mind looking for it.
Draken
General

Post by Draken »

Fantastic!
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"
-
Si vis pacem, para bellum
-
It is hard to free fools from the chains they revere.
Voltaire
Ghiby
Sergeant

Post by Ghiby »

@ devs

I usually find it hard to follow up with all, over the decades

renaming units and/or hexes is NOT a low priority for us, gamers, users trying to enjoy your game, after paying money to purchase it, and as such supporting your development

we might try to correct a misspelling for hexes, towns and/or military complexes, and we might want to personalize a unit... like say I plan to send a carrier in the Middle East and as such I'd like to rename it Middle East Ops for a while... then send it to India, and rename it again and so forth...

the bottom line, make it easier to rename units especially, if you want us to keep buying your products with our real money...

I stumbled now, in 2024 on this thread searching on how to rename a unit in SRU, because I'm having a hard time finding the way to rename it... it was a way, easier way to do it, in SR2020, but now, in SRU I can't find it so easy... sometimes, by doing something else, it pops up the renaming of the unit, but then I am focused on doing whatever else I am doing... now, I want to clearly rename a carrier before sending it to the Middle East and I can't find a way how to do it...

and not last, please, please allow us to place in-game, while playing, on the map
- settlements - villages, cities, etc. and edit the names of course, similar to how we place new military complexes, what is it so hard to code, if we can place military complexes, why not a village, where there is none

- population changes - I just annexed Russia (they wardec me first) and I'd like to populate a bit some areas in northern Siberia, yet, I can't do it in-game... I have to use a brilliant mod - SRU_internal - to do that, but the mod is not reliable in the way is saving games, the saves can be corrupted, but why do we have to use a mod, just to place a village??

yes, I'm aware we can use a map editor and assets editor, but that is a side task, outside the game, is breaking the gameplay experience and as such the immersion...

please, make it better... I care a lot as you know already about the SR series, please, make it better... who asked us, players, if renaming it a unit and/or a hex is a "low priority" so you can deem it as such..??.. it's not, it's a high priority from our vantage point...

in case someone is wondering in your marketing & sales team/s why the sales are not better and the reviews more positive for SR2030 and any DLC or sequels, this is why... I didn't buy and I won't buy SR2030 until significant improvements are made... I'm happy with SR2020 and SRU as they are since I've already spent money on them...

I don't want to sound critical, because I love SR series, but you mentioned in public channels that you are open to taking criticism as well...

just make it better... renaming units easy, adding villages on the map, means better... setting our own DEFCOM as we want means better... if you care, think seriously about what you deem low priority, as opposed to what us, players would like to see...

and once again, do a remastered version of your best product SR2020 with the abilities to have colonies, rename units and hexes, and set our own DEFCOM as needed, and players will buy it, especially the ones not even born back when it was first launched... I will buy it before I get around to spending my money on SR2030... yes, I know, Chris told me the code is not there anymore, the team is not there anymore and all that comes with "change and progress"... just reverse engineer it, and remaster it... Homeworld did it, as well as many other classics... you can do it too, as a studio...

and make Galactic Ruller as a sequel to the SR series... with money management and complex units, not stripped down as it is now... and, we, your paying customers, we'll buy it... I got GR more to support your efforts, but if I've put in more than 20 hrs on it, is an overstatement...

yet, I still play SR2020 to this day in 2024... to me, that's a clear indication of how good SR2020 was and still is...
* Information Is Knowledge * Knowledge Is Power * Power Is Domination *
* Real power is when you have it but you don't need to use it *

Return to “Suggestions - SRU”