Rename units and buildings!!!!!

Have a feature request for SRU? Post here.

Moderators: Balthagor, Legend, Moderators

Stavros
Sergeant
Human: Yes

Rename units and buildings!!!!!

Post by Stavros »

Re nameable units and re nameable military infrastructure! Adding a more personal aspect to the game! (If this has not already been said.)
number47
General

Re: Rename units and buildings!!!!!

Post by number47 »

Stavros wrote:Re nameable units and re nameable military infrastructure! Adding a more personal aspect to the game! (If this has not already been said.)
It's been said some 4-5 years ago during SR2020 development :lol: :lol: :lol:
Unfortunately, it has been labeled then as "ultra low priority"...nothing changed since then :D

EDIT: you could rename units in SR2020 but not the hexes (military or industrial)...and I believe you could rename units in the earlier version of SRCW but it was not working properly so they removed it (until it is fix, I believe)
Last edited by number47 on Jul 29 2012, edited 1 time in total.
"If everyone is thinking alike, someone isn't thinking."
- General George Patton Jr
SGTscuba
General

Post by SGTscuba »

I really shouldn't say this, but you could rename units in 2010, and I think you could even rename bases too.
My SR:U Model Project, get the latest and post suggestions here:

http://www.bgforums.com/forums/viewtopi ... 79&t=28040
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

SGTscuba wrote:I really shouldn't say this, but you could rename units in 2010, and I think you could even rename bases too.
Another instance of feature lost. :-(
Please teach AI everything!
Draken
General

Post by Draken »

yup... chiming in ....

Renaming units in SR2010 was fairly easy... You could rename them from almost everywhere in the game...

Then SR2020 came along and although renaming units was possible, it was not as easy and flexible as before... But we were able to group then in battle groups, which were easy to rename....

And then, SRCW was released and .... well, you know what happened....

Goats, in lieu of a practical hierarchy system (to which we agree will be difficult to implement) please bring back a flexible and easy way of renaming units and battle groups. Also an easier way to select the later is needed...

And since we are bringing back lost features, don't forget about unit tranning [_]O [_]OT
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"
-
Si vis pacem, para bellum
-
It is hard to free fools from the chains they revere.
Voltaire
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Draken wrote:
And since we are bringing back lost features, don't forget about unit tranning [_]O [_]OT
...and other goodies :-)
And please, do not kill features any more!! :wink:
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Just to clarify, we don't "kill" features. The development of the game means that as the game engine changes, some elements need to be completely re-coded to keep up with the changes. Anything from SR2010 isn't something we can "bring back", it would have to be completely re-added as a new feature. Some of the SR2020 elements have been dropped because of changes in the GUI. Often parts of the GUI had to be recoded to fit/display the new content that replaces them. Some of those features can't come back either without massive amounts of work or without breaking a new feature.

Some features do get dropped just from GUI redesign and can actually be "designed back in". There was a thread somewhere where users had helped identify the differences so I could look at which ones could be designed back in. I will still be consulting that in the future and we're constantly looking at the GUI to refine it, it just fights for development time like all other features.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

I am aware that you don't "kill" features out of fun.
But as you "killed" unit trading to prevent cheating and exploiting the game I thought that
unit renaming was also disabled to prevent some kind of exploits.
Thanks for clarifying that Balth! :P
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Unit trading is as much in the game as it has ever been.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Balthagor wrote:Unit trading is as much in the game as it has ever been.
well, as I pointed before, unit trading is almost useless. It's not a big issue if you are playing major power. But playing a small country- it is impossible to buy specific unit. It is impossible to buy sub or bomber or air defense. So, country like Vanuatu or Fiji has to build tank factories and naval yards if they need 50 tanks. Instead of buying 50 Rooikats from South Africa. Or 1 Kilo class sub from Russia. Unit trading is a lottery and not a negotiation (as it shoul'd be) :-(
And there is a nice little unit trading button in diplomacy screen which can not be used |O :-?

Sorry fo the [_]OT but some of the players want to play small countries as realisticaly as possible (it just kills the mood if you have to build factories and naval yards and research everything if you want a minimum of the army- that is just ovekill for small countries and imposibble without the cheats). Yes, I know I am ranting about arms trade all the time but it is just desperately missing and it is needed.

Sorry once again for the [_]OT . You can punish me as long as I can purchase weapons I need and not just waiting for decades to be offered by something I really need. Or not being offered at all and then being forced to cheat :x

[_]O [_]OT I know :D
Col_Travis
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Col_Travis »

I do believe unit naming will be back in update 3 or a later patch, I'm personally looking forward to its release.
Balthagor
Supreme Ruler

Post by Balthagor »

Not for update 3.
Chris Latour
BattleGoat Studios
chris@battlegoat.com
Col_Travis
Brigadier Gen.

Post by Col_Travis »

Balthagor wrote:Not for update 3.
That's fine, maybe in the future. You guys had a lot of work to do, my hats of to all of you.
Hullu Hevonen
General

Post by Hullu Hevonen »

Renaming battlegroups like in SR2020 would be fun to have back, the naming aspect of the battlegroups was the fun part of of using battlegroups while battlegroups them self was/is useful. Something that might be more far fetched and more impossible to develop would be during MP games, if unit names and bg names could be transferred over the internet so that other players can se as well. Like a war between a Israeli player and say Syrian player, and "84th Givati Brigade" battling an "Republican Guard" divison etc.
Happy Linux user!
Links: List of Mods
Zuikaku
General

Post by Zuikaku »

Is it considered for update4 ?

Return to “Suggestions - SRU”